Airflow and the new contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
After installing my upgraded contacts a few weeks back I noticed my grand hit much harder than before. Unfortunately only the first few hits (sometimes not even that) from a newly wicked coil had good flavor and didn't irritate my throat. After that harsh minimal flavor hits. I was squonking like crazy to ensure the wick/coil was wet, so it didn't seem to be a dry hit issue. I tried more wraps, less wraps, different wire gauges, more cotton, less cotton, adjusted coil height, etc. No matter what I tried I could not get consistent flavor and performance. The only thing I hadn't tried was enlarging the hole on my RM2 cap... Mainly because I was fearful of too airy of a draw and I really didn't think it would fix the problem. Last night after another throat scorching hit, I got frustrated and took a small screw driver to the cap. I bored the hole out to about 1/16". Now it is working better than ever! Flavor is awesome, no harsh hits and while the draw is looser, I don't mind it.

I'm glad it's working great now, but I would like to know exactly why... My theory is the upgraded contacts were causing the coil to heat up faster than the original contacts and burning the liquid. Increasing the airflow is keeping things from getting too hot and I'm no longer getting burnt juice/singed cotton hits. What is confusing me is I have been building coils in the 1.0 to 1.3 ohm range. I thought increasing airflow was really only necessary for sub-ohm coils. Coil experts, I would appreciate your :2c: on this.

rasci2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2009
Kissimmee, Fl
As you increase the voltage, which the SO contacts will do, the vape becomes hotter and more juices is vaporized. Enlarging the Airhole increases airflow which does help to cool the vape. You will also get more vapor and a harder nicotine hit. That is why most sub-ohmers using dual coils drill two holes.

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Remember the vape is really a combination of coil type, ohm, placement relative to air hole, air flow amount. Now with the new kits in the Grands and the new springs in the Woodvils I've got to start experimenting again to find the right balance for my sweet spot.

Yeah, I guess airflow is what was missing from my equation... Of course now that I see what increased airflow can do I'm interested in trying out lower ohm builds are like :vapor:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
After installing my upgraded contacts a few weeks back I noticed my grand hit much harder than before. Unfortunately only the first few hits (sometimes not even that) from a newly wicked coil had good flavor and didn't irritate my throat. After that harsh minimal flavor hits. I was squonking like crazy to ensure the wick/coil was wet, so it didn't seem to be a dry hit issue. I tried more wraps, less wraps, different wire gauges, more cotton, less cotton, adjusted coil height, etc. No matter what I tried I could not get consistent flavor and performance. The only thing I hadn't tried was enlarging the hole on my RM2 cap... Mainly because I was fearful of too airy of a draw and I really didn't think it would fix the problem. Last night after another throat scorching hit, I got frustrated and took a small screw driver to the cap. I bored the hole out to about 1/16". Now it is working better than ever! Flavor is awesome, no harsh hits and while the draw is looser, I don't mind it.

I'm glad it's working great now, but I would like to know exactly why... My theory is the upgraded contacts were causing the coil to heat up faster than the original contacts and burning the liquid. Increasing the airflow is keeping things from getting too hot and I'm no longer getting burnt juice/singed cotton hits. What is confusing me is I have been building coils in the 1.0 to 1.3 ohm range. I thought increasing airflow was really only necessary for sub-ohm coils. Coil experts, I would appreciate your :2c: on this.

I don't have much experience with my RM2 yet, got it and my Reo Grand about a week ago. The original hole in the RM2 cap is pretty small though. I'm vaping at around 0.7 ohms and I've opened up my air hole to just a bit over 3/32" now. This is working great for me.

You're at 1.0 to 1.3 ohms. From my experience with other attys I think the original hole in the RM2 is too small for even that and your experience doesn't surprise me too much. Air flow is a huge part of our vape. The more power you put in there the more air flow you need. I suspect when you installed the upgraded contacts you increased the power on the coil and that took you past what the small air hole could do for you.

Great to hear it's working well for you now :). Vape on!

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
My holes are 1/5".

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread