Airflow really does matter! Drilled the airholes on my Nimbus clone to 1/16" with great results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I've always been happy with the vape I got from my rda's and their tiny stock airholes, getting great flavor and good vapor production. Nowhere near as much vapor as what many Youtube videos show, but still quite a lot more than with my iClear 16 and Evod clearomizers. I've never been much of a cloud chaser, nor do I delve deep into subohm territory -- while my 30 amp batteries allow for, and I have tried, builds as low as 0.3 ohms, I've settled on 0.8 to 1.2 ohm micro and nanocoils to use with my Cronus clone.

Still, I've been curious as to how much airflow really matters when it comes to vapor production and flavor, only hesitating to try because I've heard people say that flavor starts to diminish if you go too big. But now that I have a few rda's, I figured it wouldn't be a huge deal if I ended up not liking it.

So I went ahead and drilled out the airholes on my EHPro Nimbus clone to 1/16" -- certainly not huge, but significantly larger than the tiny stock airholes, which are probably 1/32". Already mounted on it was a nice performing 0.9 ohm dual nanocoil, with 11 wraps of 30 gauge wire around a paperclip, that I've been using for the past few days.

The results were absolutely fantastic, with way much larger and thicker clouds of vapor, and even a bit more flavor. The draw is obviously a lot airier, but still just fine. I don't think I'd want a much lighter draw than what it is now, so I doubt I'll be drilling them out any larger, and even if I do, it will only be to 5/64". You can always go bigger, but it's difficult to go smaller.

To anyone on the fence about drilling out the airholes on your RDA, I'd say grab a 1/16" drill bit and have at it. Maybe a 3/64" bit if you're really concerned about having too light of a draw. Be sure to thoroughly wash and rinse the top cap to get rid of any bits or shavings of metal before using it. I think you'll be as happy with the results as I have been.

Reactions: Steven Pye
I concur. I tried drilling out an old Smok RBA with a 1/16" bit and it opened the draw immensely (previously it was like trying to draw from a coffee stirrer bent in half). It's not a wind tunnel now by any means, but it takes a lot less effort to take a good toot. And the vapor production? Night and day. Flavor? VERY satisfying. I've been considering drilling out the air hole on my REOMizer to a 1/16". It chucks the vapor and flavor already, but something inside me says, "MORE"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread