RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Hello everyone,

The more atomizers I own the more this question raises in my mind:

"Airflow - to adjust or not to adjust... that's the question"

I realized that I tend to use the atomizers that have the best airflow from the get go, fully open, or eventually something fixed like the DVARW where you change inserts and that's it.

With RSAs the situation is a bit different because it's also more or less a set and forget. With RTAs I, without any doubt, prefer to have the airlflow the way I like it from the factory without having to adjust.

I really don't have the patience to keep adjusting airflows.

Do you use atomizers with the airflow adjusted?

Stay safe.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You apparently use juices that are within the range of viscosity for the design parameters of the atomizers you buy.

Adjustable airflow is all about matching the draw intensity to the viscosity of the juice you use. Thin juices feed and wick faster than thick juices so either the atomizer is optimized for specific juice types or it's adjustable to compensate.

MTL or DTL may need different atomizer designs to wick efficiently. Adjustable air flow increases the range of juices that can be used.

Last edited:

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Hello everyone,

I realized that I tend to use the atomizers that have the best airflow from the get go, fully open, or eventually something fixed like the DVARW where you change inserts and that's it.

With RSAs the situation is a bit different because it's also more or less a set and forget. With RTAs I, without any doubt, prefer to have the airlflow the way I like it from the factory without having to adjust.

Stay safe.
Hard to say at that stage of vaping for me (beginner), however I noticed one thing.
I only own one sub-ohm tank (Prine tfv12 by smok) + an RBA base for it, I use both factory coils and the RBA. I tried to mess around with the airflow, both with factory coils and the RBA. What I found out was that I enjoy it the most with the airflow fully open ...
Saying that though I need to mention that I don't really like too warm vapor. I noticed that turning the airflow down was causing my vapor to get warmer, similar to when I was turning the wattage up, and since i like it cool, for me it was a con.

My new VV Berserker Mini MTL RTA has just arrived, I'll get it running and check how different airflow adjustments work for me with this tank, maybe with MTL I'll find it more important to find the right setting.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello everyone,

Stay safe.
For me, the internal "air flow" is far more important than where the external "ring" is set.
As noted, it's usually set it and forget it.

Cheers
I

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Just enough air to replace what you inhale. But, viscosity and wicking are variables. I build my tanks pretty much the same way every time. My juices are middle of the road PG/VG.

Find what you like, keep your builds and juice the same. Well, maybe experiment, but keep that in mind when considering the other variables on that particular vape.

Have fun!

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
set-it-and-forget-it-387.png

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
My first year or two of vaping, I adjusted af a lot more. I'd even change in the evenings from what I'd done all day. But I think that had more to do with the "efficiency" of older rta's to produce a dense enough vape. With various Kayfuns, I'd always try to tweak it to get a solid enough hit.

Once doggies came along, they gave me what I wanted. AF on them are dicey anyway, and adjusting didn't do anything until they were almost shut off. So I vaped them wide open. I got used to the True wide open, and it's just right, and plenty dense set that way. So now, with the Precisio & True, I just set and forget. It's a good solid hit whether big or small.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    when I started with RTAs I wanted to drill holes in the airflow to get more air :facepalm:
    Eventually found some perfect for me, with the airflow wide open.

RDAs it depends on the atty. Some I vape wide open and some with a smidge of airflow closed.

But regardless, I set and forget :banana:

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

I guess I have a similar approach. I generally try not to do things that annoy me, so airflow really is something that I'm not going to spend too much time on. I don't vape to get angry and annoyed, so, for example, dripping: I'm not even going to bother. The idea of having to drip all the time is just not for me and I'm fine if I don't experience the best flavor because of it. The bigger the tank, the better also, so I don't have to refill too often. But that's just me. Might give squonking a go but I don't want to spend too much with the current Covid situation, I've already invested over 450$ equivalent into vaping in under a month.

Even when I was smoking, many of my friends used to smoke roll ups. I just couldn't be bothered with the rolling tobacco, which would cost me twice less. So I kept smoking normal cigarettes, just for the convenience.

On the other hand, I like to diy. I'm already mixing juices, and I'm definitely going to start making my own coils for RTA's at some point. While some people couldn't be bothered with either.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I'm sorry... didn't read the rest of the thread... you like loose airflow (I get that) but didn't try adjusting the airflow (???)
    You asked but haven't tried adjusting different airflow... am I missing something?
    My (overall) opinion on airflow is first (what do you prefer) and second (what does your coil prefer) Really depends on your vaping style (chain vaping or a brief pause between vapes)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    As a general rule, I like mine opened up to max. I vape 10-12w, MTL always.

I believe that vapers find what they like, and many stick with it. The only "rule" that I know of, related to vaping, is that whatever someone's doing, they're doing it correctly. It's all very personal (at least today), and that's one of the many beauties of (current) vape.

I'll be interested to see what becomes of it (vape). I just hope it doesn't end up looking like cigs, with very little variety between them.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I would hate that I love the variety of my vapes but not everyone does.
    Anna

It would be SO much less enjoyable for me without the variety. I'm fine for life, so it won't directly impact me, but yeah - I won't like to see it either. Trying to hang onto hope.

Canada's recent ruling helped me a bit, not that I have much confidence in US legislators these days. :|

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yeah currently not so much. I mean yeah some people like uniformity (like all my stetups are kayfuns on blah mods, unflavored I have five running) and I just think WHY?

To be fair I like consistency in my tobacco, most specifically the fact that I did not like additives (especially after basics, urgh) so I smoked additive free loose tobacco put in injector tubes as it was much cheaper.

I think my docs felt that might be the reason I were not dead the year before.

But vaping is NOT tobacco!

17 year anniversary and I did not go out to smoke with the husband one time!

When I cross the Arizona border for the terminal time I am stopping just across, and smoking one though and toasting the husband for the most horrifying times in our lives. I just might smoke a CAMEL though that is how bad it was.... Or one of my super old stale Black American Spirit packs I keep around for emergencies.

LOL Alaska go'vt official wants to make COVID + people wear "I tested positive stickers." People getting upset wanting to know if they can get a "Jewish star instead :lol::lol:."

We all can get insane under the right circumstances I guess.

I would wear a "I tested Poz for Covid 19 and am contributing to herd immunity." It would let me know who the smart/sane people are. Sheesh. 10 days or less you are no longer shedding the virus after no fever, and it used to be 72 hours but it looked like numbers were getting lower OH NOES.

Anna

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I prefer adjustable airflow.

No manufacturer knows what I prefer or need. If they get it right, then it's just coincidence. But chances are they won't.

Adjusting airflow on a tank with an AFC ring takes all of 0.002 seconds.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    A good vape is a (holy) trinity of wattage, juice flow and airflow. Get these three right in relation to each other and happiness ensues. It feels like there should be an equation to match along lines of ohms law V=I/R. At a basic level, as you increase power, juice-flow and air supply need to increase to match. Slightly restricting airflow can increase flavor, over supplying air can increase vapor production but limit flavor. Obviously all these factors and opinions are unique to each individuals preferences and perceptions.

There are also airflow characteristics that are unique to each atomizer, caused by the complex fluid dynamics of how air moves through each design. These can be to some degree inherent and no amount of fiddling with coils wicking and airflow can significantly change them to a point where you are happy with that atomizer.
    To grossly simplify, some are smooth and swooshy, some are turbulent and unpleasant and no amount of wrangling can alter this.
    Personally, if I can't get the airflow right, I cannot use that atomizer.

I have come across atomizers with non-adjustable airflow like the Kennedy RDA. But with the Kennedy I think it's down to maximum vapor production in the context of cloud-chasing. Maximum ALL the things!

When I get a new atomizer there is an initial testing period where I wrangle with these three factors in the pursuit of getting a good vape out of it. Once I have it worked out then I make almost no further adjustments, it's zeroed in.

Have a read of this, specifically the OP. It's quite long but I have yet to see anyone explain the relationship between power juice-flow and air as succinctly.
    My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread