Status
Not open for further replies.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Just read this- not good publicity at all for vapers everywhere....Grrrr....
Flight departing Portland International Airport turns around after passenger lights electronic cigarette, becomes disruptive | OregonLive.com

My opinion- it's not the e-cig's fault. Sort of like It's not the gun's fault that killed the guy but the guy who pulled the trigger. So....this guy should have listened to the attendant and stopped using his e-cig. It's this kind of "I can vape anywhere attitude" that gives everyone who vapes a bad name and will end up creating rules that should not be in place. I think it was crazy to turn the plane around too..... Just too much made out of some narisistic idiot that happened to become belligerent with an e-cig. It could have been too much drinking on the plane instead...just happened to be an e-cig this time and bad timing for all of us in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
This is why I get so frustrated with the "I'll vape wherever I want" douchebags that think they're champions for vapers' rights

Odds are high that if the passenger had complied with the flight attendant's instructions there would have been no problem, no turn around, and zero negative press.

If anyone takes offense at my comment and thinks I'm calling them a ........., they're probably right.

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
that was actually a well informed report on the ecig also
Yes, good point...decent info on the e-cig unlike some stories I read. The comments made sort of bother me though. I just don't know how much the "unknowing public" can separate the e-cig (and see it for what it is) from the guy who was using it.
No matter what we're talking about that's good for people, there are always going to be fools involved.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yes, good point...decent info on the e-cig unlike some stories I read. The comments made sort of bother me though. I just don't know how much the "unknowing public" can separate the e-cig (and see it for what it is) from the guy who was using it.
No matter what we're talking about that's good for people, there are always going to be fools involved.

The e-cigarette user is (allegedly) an idiot. There were some weird comments, though.

At some point after take off, the man turned on the cigarette.

That just sounds weird to me. You don't just "turn on" an e-cig - you use an e-cig. I'd love to hear his side of the story before I would pass judgement. But yeah - if you don't own the property, you abide by the rules. Period.

They [e-cigarettes] are, however, banned on Continental flights, as are any "electronic, simulated smoking materials" such as cigarettes, pipes or cigars, according to Continental's website.

Since when are cigarettes, pipes and cigars "electronic, simulated smoking materials?"

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Haven't read the link yet, but my goodness what a total idiot the pilot is!!! Fancy causing all those passengers to be delayed that no one can imagine what problems it caused people, cost of fuel, missed slots etc. The pilot must be a VERY angry ex. smoker, because I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't turn a plane around if someone 'turned on' their cell phone to play Words with Friends, or turned-on' on their Kindle or iPad' to surf Amazon or whatever!
Even if someone is caught smoking cigarettes (or even _edited_ on a flight), they just get arrested when the plane lands. No need to cause problems for hundreds of other people. How selfish.
Hope the pilot gets fired. Sorry, I know many here won't agree, but that is My opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrOckW

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Colorado
No news is good news. Sadly between an accident in Florida and now this we're making headlines that well... don't shine well upon my choice. Wish the media would offer some stories of hope and survival related to this instead of negatives. But honestly the media tells us eggs are good/bad every other day. Drink wine, don't. Drink beer, don't. Coffee cures everything but is the root of all evil.

Just kind of frustrating.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
menonplaneboxmod.jpg

Friend on plane tries to explain E Cig box mods to attendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread