ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Wow, not much about the e-cig...and rightly so- The incident really wasn't about e-cig smoking on the plane but about an A$$hole that was unruly to begin with!! Upsetting that the tragic event was pinned on a man who refused to "put out" his e-cig in other news.

Correction: It wasn't about e-cig use on the plane.

We need to get out of the habit of calling it "smoking an e-cigarette". Otherwise we will never be able to train reporters to refrain from calling it smoking.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Let's see...

This guy was booked into jail Sunday night
" on a variety of charges, including driving under the influence of intoxicants, assault on a police officer, criminal mischief, hit and run, and reckless endangerment".

He posted bail. Oh, by the way, on that WTF!

He was flying from Portland, Oregon to HOUSTON, TEXAS; while out on bail.

But the big news was that he wouldn't "put out" his e-cigarette?!?

DarbukaDave

Drumming Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
Hornell, New York
Let's see...

This guy was booked into jail Sunday night
" on a variety of charges, including driving under the influence of intoxicants, assault on a police officer, criminal mischief, hit and run, and reckless endangerment".

He posted bail. Oh, by the way, on that WTF!

He was flying from Portland, Oregon to HOUSTON, TEXAS; while out on bail.

But the big news was that he wouldn't "put out" his e-cigarette?!?

Yeah crazy! I think after the Florida incident, the press is going to sensationalize anything remotely related to ecigs.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Correction: It wasn't about e-cig use on the plane.

We need to get out of the habit of calling it "smoking an e-cigarette". Otherwise we will never be able to train reporters to refrain from calling it smoking.
Very good point, Elaine- I wrote that late at night- I still have to "catch" myself. Last night I got into a "heated" discussion/argument about this very thing- a friend I was with (who quit smoking cold turkey 10 years or so ago), claimed I was still "smoking" and that I was still addicted to nicotine and that was not healthy... I'm finding many of my friends who quit on their own years ago are of this persuasion. I try to educate them but it's not making much difference. :( At some point, you just have to leave it alone, but the general public who is ignorant to anything- never smoked, etc., CAN be educated, and should.

sanjosse

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
San Jose, CA
TennDave, I agree with you. But, IMOA, It's human nature, people will only learn if they want to. Otherwise they usually have to many other things to occupy themselves with. I've had people ask me what my PV was, then once they received an answer they were satisfied with, they'd either get a blank look on their face. Which to me, meant that the conversation was over. Or they ask more questions.

You can lead a horse to water…

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Yep...I tried to use the analogy of vapor-vs-caffeine last night but little did I know that this lady's sister had just gotten out of the ER for drinking too many of those high energy caffeine drinks- had heart palpitations. Anyway, that didn't fair so well with her either...I finally quit talking about it and vaped away from her- Everyone it different and I know from my own experience that vaping nicotine juice has been a life-saver and if it wasn't for this, I would still be smoking and on my way to ruin.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Very good point, Elaine- I wrote that late at night- I still have to "catch" myself. Last night I got into a "heated" discussion/argument about this very thing- a friend I was with (who quit smoking cold turkey 10 years or so ago), claimed I was still "smoking" and that I was still addicted to nicotine and that was not healthy... I'm finding many of my friends who quit on their own years ago are of this persuasion. I try to educate them but it's not making much difference. :( At some point, you just have to leave it alone, but the general public who is ignorant to anything- never smoked, etc., CAN be educated, and should.

My response to "you are still addicted to nicotine" is this:

At least now I am not inhaling tar, poisonous gasses, particulates, and thousands of chemicals of combustion along with my nicotine. My lungs know the difference. I think if I had continued inhaling smoke instead of vapor for the last three years, by now I would probably have full-blown COPD. I've lost the wheezing and the morning cough, and best of all, now I can laugh out loud without going into a coughing jag.

If they are a smoker, I add:

Maybe you don't have any of these lung problems now, but just keep inhaling all that junk in smoke along with your nicotine, and it's likely you'll develop them.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I hear you Elaine- Oh, my friend seems genuinely glad I'm not puffing on burning cigs- she understands that and nods and agrees with me- she will voice her opinion though, that I'm on my way to better health, "you're half way there...now why don't you just quit?"

Yeah, I get that one, too. My doctor worded it as, "When are you going to quit using that?"

I told him, "As soon as I no longer feel the need to be able to pay attention and remember things, read, drive a car safely..."

His jaw dropped and he changed the subject.

Perhaps the best answer to the question of "Why don't you..." is, "Because it isn't necessary. Nicotine doesn't cause cancer, heart attacks, strokes, or lung disease. So quitting nicotine won't buy me any extra years of life. It can cause problems for women who are pregnant, but at my age, getting pregnant would make me rich--assuming I survived the process."

My 8th grandchild is scheduled to enter the world tomorrow.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So true, Elaine. If someone enjoys several cups of coffee or caffeinated drinks every day and is not suffering any ill effects nor has a pre-existing condition or family history of it, the doctor doesn't ask THEM "When are you going to stop drinking caffeine?" In fact, unless someone already suffers from a heart condition, hypertension or ulcers, most doctors never even ask about coffee or caffeine consumption!

You quit smoking by doing something else that maintains your quit. Asking you to quit (because of concern about the much lower risks of smoke-free nicotine) is like saying to a diabetic who lost weight by doing aerobics, "So, when are you going to quit all that jumping around now that you lost all the weight? It could be bad for your knees!"

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I liked what you had to say especially about paying attention- driving a car safely- I'm in the same boat as you.
Of course, their answer is going to be, "There's Retalin for that," and I'll have a come-back for going on meds- the last thing I wanna do... and the expense...besides, I really do enjoy vaping- :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread