Status
Not open for further replies.

K.P.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
United Kingdom
I keep forgetting to share this story.

Earlier this year I went to Crete for a week. As they had (and still have) comparatively liberal smoking laws, I had no trouble there in public--only one curious bar owner who was quite amused.

When it came time to fly out form Heraklion airport I absentmindedly left my PS + Kensington with Dekang bottles in my carry-on. There were no signs about taking liquids & gels on board but I reflexively put my jacket in a tub for the X-ray machine and pulled a TW-bottle out of my pocket and set it beside my jacket.

The staff picked up the bottle and gave me a serious questioning look, and I tried to explain but the only word that got across was "nicotine." They handed it to a supervisor, and she disappeared for 10-15 minutes. Then she came back and just shook her head with a sad look that said "it's probably fine but we don't know and have to take it."

So...if you're traveling somewhere and don't speak the language, don't count on them speaking English. You may wish to use Babelfish or Google-Translator (or a friend) to print an explanation for any authority figure you encounter who has suspicions.

You might also want to keep your various bits separate when you go through security to lessen the already slim chance of everything being confiscated. You might also want to reconsider whether it's safer to keep your expensive mod on you with a cheaper back-up in your checked luggage, or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread