Travel and Vaping Airports, TSA, Secruity, and vaping. Will I make it through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
California
In about 1 month I will be taking a short flight from California to Arizona. Im trying to get away from checking in any luggage, and just bringing my laptop bag, and carry on aboard the flight. I started vaping 3 months ago, so this will be the first time I've flew with my vaping gear. I'm a bit worried because I'm not sure if it will make it through the TSA checkpoint. I looked into it, and the 30ml bottles of juice I will bring are under 3oz of course. Ill put them in a ziplock bag, and pass them through the xray machine. My main concern is for my new "Versa" PV I just bought. Its an APV, VV, and is shaped like a freakin detonator!!! Heres the link to the one I have:
http://www.vaporbeast.com/product_p/sk28-.htm

Will this get through? I will be being dropped off at the airport, so I wont be able to give it to anymore if I don't get through. Id hate to lose it because I literally just bought it, and it wasn't cheap.

Any recommendations on how to carry it on? Will it get through? If it doesn't, will I ever get it back?

Thanks all!
-Ryan

RyanRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
California
I had a friend who just recently flew from NYC to Omaha, and he said TSA was aware of the whole e-cigarette business. One of the TSA guys was pretty interested just because he'd never seen a provari before. He said he brought all his vaping gear minus syringes and was fine.

Well this is reassuring :) Thank you!

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I've been through security dozens of times with all types of PV's and mods. I've never been questioned about any of them. I put most of my juice and tanks filled with juice in a ziplock but other PV's I just leave in my jacket pocket or in my carry on.

I have been questioned about my provari. Easy explanation. My last few trips have been with the provari, vtube, and kgo back up with a few batteries and no less than four full tanks.

As mentioned, do not check batteries. Put the pv in with your wallet and cell and stuff. It will be fine.

TheRealJason

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2011
DFW
I was ultra-paranoid the first couple of times I flew with my PV (Lavatube, Chrome Silver Bullet), and when I got to the airport, I disassembled it. No checked bags, just carryons. I put the PV in my backpack, with the batteries seperated and in a different compartment. Juice and tank (with juice) in my liquids bag. Didn't have any problems.

Then, I was flying with a friend, and while I was taking everything apart to get ready to go through security, he was vaping away. Got to the security line, and he just dropped his PV (Black Silver Bullet w/ tank) into the bin with his shoes, etc. No problem.

I've started to do the same, and besides the question of "what is that" or "does it really work", no issues at all. I've even found that if you ask politely, some of the airport staff and TSA do not mind if you vape in the airport. I was 2 hours delayed once, but didn't mind so much as I had a seat near the power outlet for my laptop, and was chain-vaping with no question.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
I fly constantly for work (my home airport being Phoenix, actually...which I assume is where you will be flying into). I have never had one issue carrying on my vaping gear. I never check bags ,usually just have my batteries (eGo Twist and back ups) in a case in my suitcase or smaller carry-on, plus my chargers, etc. Then I typically just pick one or two juices to bring with me, and put them in my clear plastic bag with all of my toiletries. If you are under the 3oz you are fine. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. Granted, I do not have a Provari...but with my eGo's plus all of my supplies, I have yet to be stopped or questioned on anything. As long as you are following the rules of how to have things packed (i.e., liquids in clear plastic bag, run seperately through security), you should be totally fine.

Plus, i see people actually vaping in the airports all the time, seems like its more & more often as the weeks progress. I have yet to do it, I was so used to waiting until I got outside as a smoker, that I'm ok doing the same now that I vape. But I haven't ever seen anyone hassled for vaping in the airports.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Last edited:

Tristar4

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
New Jersey
Ditto what daniele25 said. I'm a frequent flyer and have been traveling domestically/internationally with my gear for over two years. To date I haven't had any problems, never even been questioned or stopped for extra screening. I travel with 2 Ego-Twist, 2 Ego Minis and an Ego passthru; I also disassemble the units, only thing I do differently is that instead of storing in my regular case I put everything (minus liquid) in a ziploc mixed in with all my other chargers (phone, ipad, etc). This ziploc stays in my small carry-on. No big mods yet, but hopefully I'll have one to throw in there soon. For sure the first time going through security with vaping gear will be never wracking .. but not a problem, you should be fine. Safe travels!

AlphaOmega

Jul 3, 2012
Chicago, IL
Very helpful because I am being flown into St. Louis from O'Hare for an interview; and, his will be the first time I bring my e-cigarette. I am putting all of it in my checked luggage. It is a 3-day interview and I need 3 suits and my carry-on is my laptop.

I have had stuff stolen right out of my purse by TSA (specifically, my Harley Davidson emblem collector item keyring, irreplaceable- ripped the SS emblem right off the chain and left me the chain???? Had no clue until I arrived back in chicago and went to use my keys, really ...... me off) and I am taking no chances.

Additionally, I have been looking for a VV device so thanks for that link because I have not seen those models before. I like the one you have, very appealing. It does look like a detonator...LOL

Joyetech Junkie

Jul 25, 2012
Fort Myers FL
Yup, no worries! TSA has e-cigarette listed as one of there approved carry on items! I've flown all over the USA and Ive seen many people using there's all over the terminals! I even used mine on the plane, of course I held in my vapor so nothing would come out. You don't want to freak out anyone on the plane when they see a big cloud of vapor and think it's smoke! I was in a bar in the terminal and the bartender was aware of these to!

Rottwyler

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
San Jose, CA
I travel all the time in and out of airports internationally as well as the CONUS...I have yet to have any problems. Actually, I don't even take my PV out anymore...I do keep the batteries in a separate baggie inside my backpack and my Provari in another case inside my backpack as well. I do take out my laptop but not my tablet...they don't seem to ever worry about it.

On a recent trip to NYC though, I went to Ground Zero and the Empire State building...and had to go through airport like security. The Provari always brought up suspicion and at Ground Zero I told the lady "It's an eCigarette"...she said "Prove it!" so....I took a big draw and blew it out and she commented how nice it smelled (PinkSpot "BlueSpot") and said "move along" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread