Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
semicolon delimited list of email addresses for the bill sponsors and committee members that have an email address listed

P_Bussman@Bellsouth.Net; Sb@Sladeblackwell.Com; Lindacoleman60@Bellsouth.Net; Has@Harrianne.Com; Camjulward@Aol.Com; Jabo.Waggoner@Alsenate.Gov; vivian.figures@alsenate.gov;
tammy@ironslawfirm.com; marc_keahey@yahoo.com; Msenbedford@aol.com; Quinton.ross@alsenate.gov; bsingle164@yahoo.com; rodger.smitherman@alsenate.gov

Last edited:

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
"So far, Big tobacco has no problem with SmokefreE-Cigarettes."

When I first read SmokefreE-Cigarettes in Thad's post yesterday, I thought it was great. I think this would be a great name change, better than PV which I always preferred. It really makes a statement, especially when the clowns are adding them to no smoking regulations.

It is great! I think CASAA should trade-mark it!

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
here's my email (first round) I'll send a letter and handouts by snail mail and make phone calls too...

Alabama Senate Health Committee Members
Sponsors of SB197 and 198,

As a registered Alabama voter, I am writing to urge you to amend SB 197 and 198 , section (17) SMOKE or SMOKING, to replace the last sentence of the definition with this text, "The term does not include the use of an e-cigarette or any other type of smoke-free product."

I began using an electronic cigarette/personal vaporizer (PV) in October 2009. I did not begin using the PV to circumvent indoor smoking bans, but as a method for allowing myself to continue to utilize nicotine without the harm associated with smoking combustible cigarettes. After 30+ years of smoking, I have now been smoke free since December 2009, more than 26 months. I have experience significant health benefits from making this switch. My blood pressure (systolic and diastolic) has decreased 10 points, my hemoglobin has decreased to the middle of the normal range, and I no longer cough or get easily winded.

The references used for the model legislation that these bills are based upon are out of date. In fact, all evidence to date suggests that PVs are orders of magnitude safer than combustible cigarettes, that the low health risks associated with electronic cigarettes are comparable to other smokeless nicotine products, and experts have reported that there should be no significant risk to bystanders. The harm associated with smoking is due to the smoke from combustion. There is no firsthand or second hand smoke from PVs because there is no combustion. This is supported by research done by Dr. Siegel of Boston University, Dr. Eissenberg of Virginia Commonwealth and Dr. Laugesen of Health New Zealand and by the fact that the FDA testing, in spite of its press statement, failed to find harmful levels of carcinogens or toxic levels of any chemical in the vapor.

These products are arguably no more dangerous than a fog machines used concerts and at children’s parties, the scent of the vapor arising from the steaming hot coffee in a local coffee shop, and much less noxious than perfume or aftershave used in an enclosed space. Yet, rightly, none of these are considered to e a threat to public health.
Including PVs in indoor smoking bans serves no public health protection purpose. In fact, raising barriers to use of an arguably safer alternative to smoking has the potential to harm public health.

I have included links to some current research below and will follow up with additional information by mail. I strongly urge you to look at the references and data and to amend the bill so that it can serve its stated purpose of protecting the public health
Thank you for your time and consideration

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
We also have a proposed City of Birmingham ordinance (argh!!)

There is a public hearing, as part of the technology committee meeting, (tomorrow) Wed Feb 15th 2pm. City Council chambers. I'm planning to be there.

They have a couple of liquor licenses to review, and then will take public comments on the proposed smoke-free ordinance. I've been told that all you need to do is show up and provide your name and address, then line up to speak. 1-3 minutes per person (probably depending on how many people are there to speak). There should also be a mechanism to get supporting documentation to the council members.

Contact info for the Birmingham city council is here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...gham-proposed-resolution-includes-e-cigs.html ...any emails or calls would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
As you might already know, we have two battles going on to keep vaping from being included in definitions of smoking.

CASAA just posted a call to action for the city of Birmingham proposed ordinance
CASAA.org

The call to action for the senate bills is still crucial as well.
CASAA.org

It sounded like that the next step for the city ordinance will be revision and posting an amended version with a second public hearing. That hearing is likely to be front of the full council for a final vote. The first was during the public safety and technology committee meeting.

My guess is that the they may reduce the 30 ft distance from buildings and may allow smoking on some outdoor patios. It's possible that they'll remove e-cigs (I hope, I hope, I hope) and may allow exemptions for cigar bars. There's no way that the ordinance won't pass. Our best bet is to make our voices heard now while they're considering revisions. Once it comes up before the whole council it's a done deal - their minds are made up. They may allow some exemptions assuming the state bill will be passed and supersede any exemptions made in the city ordinance.

This makes it doubly important to respond to both calls to action.

Thank you!

(and thank you CASAA for the information, references, and PDFs that i took to the city council meeting)

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
A strong argument to make when wrapping up your comments is that bans on e-cigarette use, where enacted, have never resulted in a single ticket being issued because the bans are unenforceable.

[with your hand over the LED light if you have one]
"Now, I'm going to pull this up to my mouth and inhale."
[small stealth vape -- hold your breath for a couple seconds so that absolutely no vapor will be released -- exhale]
"Did I just use my e-cigarette, or did I simply hold it up to my mouth? If no one on this City Council can tell me if I just used my e-cigarette, how is a business owner supposed to know he is following the law?"

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Looks like there is a Committee meeting Tomorrow on SB198

02/22/2012 HLTH Senate Room 304 (Revised Date) 11:00 AM

SB198 - Health, smoking prohibited in places of employment, public places and private clubs, outdoor areas, exceptions, responsibilities of Health Department and State Board of Health, penalties, Smoke-free Air Act, Secs. 22-15A-1 to 22-15A-10, inclusive, repealed

It would be a good time to email the Senators Again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread