Status
Not open for further replies.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Alabama Senate bills SB197 and SB198 proposed clean air bills include electronic cigarettes under the proposed indoor smoking ban. The bills are currently in committee. Please contact the Senate Health Committee and ask that the bills be amended to remove all references to electronic cigarettes.

Alabama Senate Health Committee (2012)
Http://Www.Legislature.State.Al.Us/Senate/Senatecommittees/Senatecommittees.Html#Anchor546550

Senator Greg Reed (Chair)
Room 734
State House
11 S. Union Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130
(334) 242-7894

Senator Paul Bussman (Vice Chair)
Room 729
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7855
P_Bussman@Bellsouth.Net

Senator Billy Beasley
Room 737
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7868

Senator Slade Blackwell
Room 733
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7851
Sb@Sladeblackwell.Com

Senator Linda Coleman
Room 735
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7864
Lindacoleman60@Bellsouth.Net

Senator Gerald Dial (Majority Whip)
Room 732
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7874

Senator Harri Anne Smith
Room 740
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7879
Has@Harrianne.Com

Senator Cam Ward
Room 719
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7873
Camjulward@Aol.Com

Senator J. T. "Jabo" Waggoner (Senate Majority Leader)
Room 726
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7892, Fax: (334) 242-2278
Jabo.Waggoner@Alsenate.Gov

Senator Tom Whatley
Room 733
State House
11 South Union Street
(334) 242-7865

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
From Huntsvappin - Today, 11:18 AM

" Alabama Clean Indoor Act of 2012"
Banning smoking and Electronic Cigarettes:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al...ills/sb197.htm

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al...ills/sb198.htm

ETA: correct links posted below

SB197 & SB198
By Senators Figures, Waggoner, Smitherman, Fielding, Coleman, Irons, Singleton, Ross, Beasley, Smith, Marsh, Dial, Keahey, Reed, Whatley and Bedford

Section 1: Part 4 & 17-
4) E-CIGARETTE. Any electronic oral device, such as one composed of a heating element, battery, or electronic circuit, or any of these, which provides a vapor of nicotine or any other substance, and the use or inhalation of which simulates smoking. The term includes any such device, whether manufactured, distributed, marketed, or sold as an e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, or under any other product name or description.

(17) SMOKE or SMOKING. The act of inhaling, exhaling, burning, carrying, holding, or possessing any lighted or heated tobacco product including, but not limited to, cigars, cigarettes, or pipes, or any other lighted or heated smoking equipment or device containing any weed, plant, or other combustible substance. The term also includes the use of an e-cigarette and any oral smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition against smoking in this act.

Last edited:

hulsey76

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Jacksonville, Alabama
Just sent emails to each member of the Committee and to the Rep and Senator for my District. Mad as Hell....

This is what I sent:

I am writing to you in the outrage of learning of two Bills before the Senate, SB197 and SB198, seeking to amend the Alabama Clean Indoor Air Act in such a way as to categorize the use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigs, personal vaporizers, etc.,) in the same manner as tobacco based smoking products. It is clear after reading the proposed legislation that the authors are completely ignorant on the subject of electronic cigarettes and how they function. First, the "juice" is comprised of water, food grade propylene glycol (found in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food and considered safe for human ingestion by the FDA) flavorings, and nicotine. The juice is heated by an electronic coil and vaporizes the solution much like the nebulizers used to treat those with respiratory disorders. The resulting vapor is inhaled, and then exhaled as water vapor. Cigarette smoke contains over 4000 known poisons, and second hand smoke is believed to be a health hazard to even those who do not smoke. On the other hand, the vapor produced by an e-cig contains NONE of those deadly carcinogens. The vapor poses no risk to anyone in the vicinity of a person using an e-cig. There isn't even a discernible odor associated with e-cig vapor. For that reason alone, there is no basis for treating e-cigs as a risk to indoor air quality and public health and including them under any bans. I urge the members of the Alabama Legislature to fully inform themselves about the nature and benefits of e-cigs before voting on such ridiculous impediments of personal liberty. I am an e-cig user, and because of this, I have been able to effectively stop smoking cigarettes when no other "medically approved" methods worked for me. I can breath better, I am more active, and I no longer pose a danger to those around me because of electronic cigarette substitutes. I urge you to vote NO on SB197 and SB198 unless e-cigs are removed from the prohibitory language. I will most certainly remember how you voted for me, when I am asked to vote for you again.

Respectfully,
Michael Hulsey
Jacksonville, AL.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Thanks for the letter Husley!!!

DC, the American Lung Association had a big hand in creating the wording for a proposed ordinance for city of Birmingham . It has the exact same wording for the e-cig portions. I suspect the ALA provided wording for both. I can only hope that with accurate information the sponsors of the bill will change their mind. (the city council too)

Last edited:

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Sorry the Links dont work in the quote. Here are the direct links:

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/searchableinstruments/2012rs/bills/sb197.htm

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/searchableinstruments/2012rs/bills/sb198.htm

There are 16 senators on these bills, but there are a lot more than 16 in this state.

Senators: Figures, Waggoner, Smitherman, Fielding, Coleman, Irons, Singleton, Ross, Beasley, Smith, Marsh, Dial, Keahey, Reed, Whatley and Bedford

I contacted CASAA last night and they are working on a CALL TO ACTION Plan for us. As soon as I know more I will post it.

hulsey76

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Jacksonville, Alabama
Thanks for the letter Hulsey!!!
No prob, CES. I'm fired up now! Excuse the pun, LOL!

DC, the American Lung Association had a big hand in creating the wording...
I also wonder how much of a role Big Tobacco is going to play into these efforts? They are a powerful lobby and have a lot to lose as e-cigs continue to replace analogs.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
It's the pharmaceutical companies that really stand to lose, as PV's are cheaper and work better as NRT's than their products. I expect tobacco companies to climb on board the PV wagon sooner or later, and with their deep pockets produce better products. Of course their products will most likely be more costlier, but if they are a lot better, it would be worth it.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
No prob, CES. I'm fired up now! Excuse the pun, LOL!

I also wonder how much of a role Big Tobacco is going to play into these efforts? They are a powerful lobby and have a lot to lose as e-cigs continue to replace analogs.

So far, Big Tobacco has no problem with SmokefreE-Cigarettes. In fact, some tobacco companies are coming out with their own versions. The folks behind all the opposition to less-hazardous alternatives are the last folks you would suspect. They are the organizations that have been nagging you for decades to quit: The American Lung Association, The American Cancer Society, and American Heart Association, Campaign for Tobacco-free Kids. Their partners in crime include the AMA, CDC, FDA, WHO, and other tri-letter organizations.

"Why?" you might ask. Follow the money. These organizations receive hefty donations (or in the case of government agencies, user fees) from the folks who bring you those ineffective NRTs, and the suicide drugs: Big Pharma.

The wording you see popping up across the country in the proposed revisions to clean indoor air acts comes not from Big Tobacco. It comes from Model Legislation that can be downloaded from the Americans for Nonsmokers' Rights organization.

Read it and weep: http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/modelordinance.pdf

And here is their rationale: Provisions Of Smokefree Air Laws - no-smoke.org

After seeing this piece of trash, I wrote to them to ask what about my rights? I am a former smoker. Why should I be sent to the smoking section? I got the usual dreck in return, "The FDA tested...blah, blah, blah."

Oh yeah? Well I've been testing them on my lungs for going on three years. No more wheezing, no more morning yuk, no more being unable to laugh without going into a coughing jag.

Oh, and it does no good to be preemptive when writing to any of these organizations and start out by debunking the FDA's press release about their test results. The response pretends that you never mentioned it. It reads something like this: "The FDA tested...blah, blah, blah."

For organizations that are supposed to be about health, they sure make me sick.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
As soon as I get the Call to Action I will start making phone calls.
:)

Thanks DC!!

Elaine, it never ceases to amaze me how science goes out the window when money is in the picture.
(as an aside, what do you think would happen if we bombarded the alphabet soup agencies with calls and letters? You've tried, I've tried, others have tried...but have we ever made a concerted organized effort?)

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
"So far, Big Tobacco has no problem with SmokefreE-Cigarettes."

When I first read SmokefreE-Cigarettes in Thad's post yesterday, I thought it was great. I think this would be a great name change, better than PV which I always preferred. It really makes a statement, especially when the clowns are adding them to no smoking regulations.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah the american lung association and american cancer society all get tons of government funding so if nobody had lung disease or cancer anymore then there goes their money so it is more beneficial to them to not have stop smoking devices that actually work

They wouldn't have to worry about that. If there never was smoking, there still would be cancer and there still would be lung cancer. In the last three months, I've heard of three cases of lung cancer- Joe Paterno who just died, the former AD at Penn State who's been fighting it for a few years the 38 year old wife (of an athelete) who died a couple weeks after they got married. The common thread was that none of them ever smoked. There are a lot more causes for these diseases than smoking.

There is no "search for the cure", just a search for a drug that can be marketed to add a few years to your life and keep all the wheels on the gravy train turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread