alcohol based juice test positive for ETG drug test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
My guess is the alcohol used in juice is not the same as alcohol you drink, though I am by no means a chemist.

Also I am pretty sure any alcohol content would evaporate when atomized, much like it does in when it is used in cooking.

Not to mention the fact that I have never heard of folks getting drunk from vaping...

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Do you actually know that your juice has alcohol. For the most part alcohol is only used in flavoring that doesn't dissolve in PG. I don't know if there is enough to fail a drug test but you can get juice with no alcohol.
My guess is the alcohol used in juice is not the same as alcohol you drink, though I am by no means a chemist.

Also I am pretty sure any alcohol content would evaporate when atomized, much like it does in when it is used in cooking.
It is ethyl alcohol, the same stuff you drink. It does vaporize and then gets absorbed by your lungs when you inhale.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I don't think you have a thing in the world to worry about. You have to drink at least two drinks before you begin to even approach the 0.08 limit for DUI.

If you're a drinker, abstain from alcohol for a few days before the test. You should be fine.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
ETGs are a tricky test. I am interning with a probation office near me. It is probably best to steer clear of the alcohol based eliquid if possible. You should be fine with your PBT (breathalyzer) tests, as long as you don't vape within 15 mins of taking the test.

Remember, the ETG test does not test whether or not you had a drink, but whether you have had alcohol in your body.

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
An eTg is a very sensitive test and can pick up alcohol use within 80 hours of testing. That said i don't think there is enough alcohol in juice to raise your blood levels. The alcohol would be in the flavoring ( and as a possible thinner for VG) and maybe the DIY people would know which flavorings are alcohol free if you really want to be safe.

Thinking about it, you need to be very careful. You should have been advised to avoid anything with alcohol in it before the testing. The test only reports positive or not positive results so there is no report of how much alcohol might have been consumed, just that it had been. DIY alcohol free might be your best option.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
"Alcohol-based juice" is probably a misnomer. As previous posters have said, probably the only alcohol in juice is from flavorings that are diluted with alcohol, though my experience as a DIYer is that most are diluted with PG. Also, most VG-only juices that I've checked are diluted with distilled water.

Would appreciate OP letting us know where his/her alcohol-based juice comes from!

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
"Alcohol-based juice" is probably a misnomer. As previous posters have said, probably the only alcohol in juice is from flavorings that are diluted with alcohol, though my experience as a DIYer is that most are diluted with PG. Also, most VG-only juices that I've checked are diluted with distilled water.

Would appreciate OP letting us know where his/her alcohol-based juice comes from!

Sounds a lot like vanilla extract and the like...alcohol is simply a carrier for the flavoring. Can't imagine that levels would be significant.

avaholic

Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Denver
On my phone right now so I can't find the link, but I am also on etgs. Came across an interesting article the other day, not 100% relevant to your question, but still interesting.

People have been vaping alcohol at bars for a while, seemingly getting more popular lately. I would think it wouldn't Happen, But vaping a drink will still produce ETG in your body. Just was pretty surprised to read that

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Sounds a lot like vanilla extract and the like...alcohol is simply a carrier for the flavoring. Can't imagine that levels would be significant.

Exactly. In the juice I mix up, I use at most 1-2 drops of flavor per ml. of base. Can't imagine that much could result in a measurable blood alcohol level.

But I'm still curious as to whether OP is talking about alcohol-based (as opposed to PG- or VG-based) juice, because I've never come across that with any vendors I've researched...

awoodby

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2013
Livonia, mi
The test picks up metabolites used in the breaking down of alcohol, if you use enough cologne that it noticably gets in your bloodstream, then EtG can pick it up. Same with a drink spilled on you, rubbing alcohol, etc. It DOES take a bit though.

One warning to the post-er here, I HAVE seen a breathalizer read drunk from recent vaping, so don't do it right before you test. I'm sure it's not that it's in your system, just still in your mouth, and the machine must pick up the vg or pg. Better safe than sorry.

--Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread