Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhaler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Mountains of NC, USA
Hi all,
I have read that you should use vodka or grain alcohol for cleaning the Joye type A atomizer head . I was wondering since I quit drinking and don't have booze in the house, if I can use regular over the counter isopropyl alcohol. Asked the druggist if they had pure grain alcohol and he said they didn't.
Thanks!

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
You can use ISO, but just check that the ingredients say 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water and...NOTHING else! Personally, I never used to use alcohol for cleaning the Joye Type A atomizers - i just used to boil them in water (not distilled) for 5-10 mins. Perhaps you could try that first and see if you are happy with the results?

JJ

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
The taste of ISO alcohol is terrible. Even rinsing it out with water it is hard to get rid of that taste. And of course you lose the fast evaporation characteristics of alcohol once you use water. But if you don't want to be around drinking alcohol it might be your better option. I and a number of other ECF members use to clean our attys (when I was still using attys) with popcorn machine cleaner. It was safe as it was made for cleaning large popcorn makers and it did a good job of getting the gunk off the coil. Here is what it looks like:

Amazon.com: Gold Medal Products Co 31Oz Heat N Kleen 2095 Popcorn: Kitchen & Dining

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
Thanks all. I will try the boiling water first and see how that does. If it does not do that well I'll try the 91% ISO and then rinse real well in warm water and let dry for 24 hours.

Should have said in my original post - don't let the atty sit on the bottom of the pan as it may damage the rubber/silicone around the base. I used to pop one of these in the pan, but you could use a carefully positioned slotted spoon or similar.

JJ

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
For those who don't know, 70% is usually better for disinfecting. You would think the higher concentration of alcohol the better, but it is not so. It has to do with the proteins and whatnot, you can google it for more info.

EDIT: Misread your post. For clarification: 70% ISO is indeed effective as a disinfectant, but 91% ISO is what should be used for cleaning gunk off coils if ISO is to be used at all.

JJ

Last edited:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
You're confusing the cleaning properties of ISO with it's ability to cut through e-liquid which has been burnt onto a coil. If you've ever tried using ISO to clean thermal paste off a CPU, you'll appreciate some of the difference between the two concentrations.

EDIT: I see you edited your response (Post #11), supermarket. No problem - I understood your logic!

JJ

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I used to use 91% ISO all the time....just dry it real well before vaping. I.E. Don't vape it. It tastes like crap too. But it won't kill ya unless you drink a pint of it (or whatever). Real small amounts get metabolized without issue.

The real thing is that....Everclear and Vodka are a lot more expensive and I don't drink much and seldom have alcohol around. Also, I used to live in a no-alcohol situation. So....ISO was OK to have around, the other stuff would "disappear" quickly.....

Anyway, alcohol can dissolve things that water doesn't and vice versa. But they are both more "vapable" than some misc cleaner that, although said cleaner may be considered "food safe", I still don't want to vape any residue. ISO dries completely leaving no residue if you blow it out well and give it time.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........Anyway, alcohol can dissolve things that water doesn't and vice versa. But they are both more "vapable" than some misc cleaner that, although said cleaner may be considered "food safe", I still don't want to vape any residue. ISO dries completely leaving no residue if you blow it out well and give it time.

We obviously cleaned the attys with very hot watter (actually soaked/agitated them) after using the popcorn cleaner. Of course I cannot be 100% sure there wasn't some trace residue. I never suffered any ill effects afterwards. But it was time consuming and I switched to using PGA every day or two to keep the attys from building up the gunk.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
We obviously cleaned the attys with very hot watter (actually soaked/agitated them) after using the popcorn cleaner. Of course I cannot be 100% sure there wasn't some trace residue. I never suffered any ill effects afterwards. But it was time consuming and I switched to using PGA every day or two to keep the attys from building up the gunk.

Yeah, I was talking more generally....wasn't a slam or anything. I assumed you cleaned it well.

That was actually quite an interesting factoid. Particularly the "removing carbon buildup" part of the ad.

It's just that you see so many things about denture cleaner, etc. that I just try to keep it simple...water or alcohol.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread