• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Alcoholism AA Al-Anon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I never had a problem with alcohol, but my father was an alcoholic. Yes, there are some horror stories I can tell---maybe later.

There were nine of us kids. Out of those nine kids, five turned into alcoholics. Two of those are recovering alcoholics and they happen to be the youngest of the nine.
The next to the youngest lost a battle against cancer at the age of 48 and his death hit us all hard but he stopped drinking when he found out he was going to be a Daddy because he didn’t want any kid of his going through what we had to live through. The youngest had a problem with alcohol and drugs but he turned to the Lord a year or so after he got out of the service.

Counting down from oldest to youngest, the third (brother), sixth (sister), and seventh (sister) are active alcoholics and each is fully aware that they have a problem and that if they keep it up, it will kill them. I don’t want to sound callous, but two of them are at deaths door right now. I give my opinion once in a while but I never preach to them because, as a smoker, I was killing myself off one day at a time. Unfortunately, all three smoke too.

I only have one older sister and she is number four and I’m number five (the middle child). We are a year apart and, luckily; we never had a problem with alcohol and believe me we had some pretty good party years after graduating from High School.

That brings me to the last two---my oldest brothers. Although they never had a problem with drinking, they did/do have problems. The next to the oldest is by Bipolar. This didn’t come about until he had two kids of his own. He didn’t keep on his meds for many a year so anyone around him was scared for their safety. All ties to his kids were severed by the mother. He eventually moved out of state and close to the oldest were after several years of bumpy roads, he is somewhat settled into a somewhat normal life.

I have a bunch of mix feelings for my elder brother: none of which includes love. A lot of what he did was in his older teen years. Once he graduated from high school, he joined the service and put in his 30 years. My older sister and I sat down and had a talk with him years ago where we brought out the dirty laundry. Even after that talk, sister and I only tolerate him when it’s necessary. We both thank God that he never had kids.
He has been married, working on number two right now, but no kids because he never wanted any and I’m sure it’s because he got straddled with playing babysitter and other “father” responsibilities when he shouldn’t have had to take on the responsibility. But, as big brother, he did some things that are not forgivable. In some ways, he is worse than my father, and my father was pretty bad. Something else I may or may not get into and if I do, it will be in the private room.

Basically I’ve said what I’ve said because I do believe alcoholism is hereditary and I believe, even if the child escapes that dreaded gene, or whatever that is in the brain, everyone in the family unit suffers from repercussions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread