Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Greetings,

I smoked in my house for 20yrs before my solemate moved in with me. With in a year she was having problems with my smoking so I switched to vaping. At first this was a very welcomed switch however lately she's admitted to having continued difficulty. Her father (multiple alergies) was here once and was only able to withstand the house for ~5min before having to leave. (it runs in her family)

So here we are 1.5 years later and while resting her hands on a flannel shirt of mine she started to develop a rash! The shirt (which I wear often) is generally parked close to where I vape.

While we've come to realize that we may never get ALL the smoke smell out of the house (I'm going to bombard the inside with OZONE this week) I'm having a growing concern about being able to vape.

I should say here that I vape 90% of the time unflavored. Sometimes I may have 1-5% mint or other flavoring but it represents <=10% of my vaping.

I source my VG from Essential Depot (sadly only food grade) and my Nicotine from Nude Nicotine (most of my orders are 50/50 VG/PG). While I sometimes use a 50/50 (VG/PG) juice mix I normally use ether 100% VG with 7-12mg NN mixed in (putting PG at 3.5-6%) or vape 66/33 (H2O/VG) with the same 7-12mg NN mixed in.

I do have two fresh unopened Essential Depot 32oz VG and PG bottles I'm going to try to convince her on letting me put 1 drop each on the back of her hand and see if there is a reaction. Then (hopefully) convince her to let me put a drop of the juice I use on her hand.

I've just ordered some so called "Pharmaceutical Grade" VG and PG from High Desert Vapes thinking that impurities in my juice might be causing it.

Outside of this we are at wits end. Any help would be welcome.

Last edited:

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 18, 2013
    Chicago
    More people tend to have problems with PG. If I have too much PG in a blend, it bothers my wife. VG is no problem. And don't ask her, just drip it on her at night while she sleeps. When you ask, you open up a whole can of worms about the whole man/woman relationship thing but you just do it, you show her who is the alpha in the relationship. You're welcome.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Check her deodorant/shampoo/toothpaste/hand-body lotion ingredients. If she's not allergic to them, it's probably not the PG or VG.

I'd have to agree with the flavorings, especially if you have a favorite you use often.

This ^

You would be hard pressed to find a health care product that does not have either PG or VG in it.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Update: we tried both the ED VG, PG and a drop of 7MG juice I had laying about.
    • even a very small drop of the juice gave a very bad rash, very disheartening as the 7mg juice only had ~3.5% PG in it
    • I removed the foil seal from the PG bottle and she used the slight amount of PG on the seal to put some on her hand. "its like battery acid", similar strong reaction as to the juice before
    • Ditto removing the seal on the VG and handed it to her - nothing. No reaction.
    Since I don't have any juice mixed up with pure 100% VG base I dipped into the freezer and broke out a 500ml bottle of 100mg, %100vg and rebottled it into 4 Boston rounds. Very thick stuff right out of the freezer.

I was hoping to be able to remove the needle seal from one of my NN bottles and insert it into the newly filled bottle but it appears that getting it out of the bottle might damage it so I aborted that idea. After the bottle I left out warms up I'll mix up some true %100VG juice at a mg level I like and see how that goes.

I'm afraid that she might also have a bad reaction to the %100VG based nicotine vaping juice. :(

Reactions: phonedude

rtbob

ECF Veteran
    Oct 20, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Tell her it is VG/PG and put a drop or two of distilled water on her skin. If she develops a rash it is a psychosomatic reaction. I used to vape at work. A co worker constantly complained and coughed when I did. This was in the early days of vaping. I used a device that looked like a pen. So after being told not to vape by the director of the department my devilish self planned on exposing this person for the faker they were.
    When she entered the office and sat down I began to stealth vape my ink pen. As soon as she noticed this she began her routine of coughing and whining which I completely ignored. This enraged the anti smoking nazi and she stormed out of the office straight to the boss. I was called in later that day. I showed him what I was doing and we both had a good laugh. She quit her job in a week or two.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Is she also allergic to potatoes, tomatoes or eggplant? These are nicotine family plants so...

Her sisters and parents have a long history of being allergic to many different fruits and veggies and other foods. Not all of them are allergic to the same things, in some cases they are allergic to different opposing food items.

On the good news is that she does consume potatoes, tomatoes and other 'night shade' type plants without issues.

Sadly, much of my 5l nicotine stash is 50/50 VG/PG. (sigh)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Her sisters and parents have a long history of being allergic to many different fruits and veggies and other foods. Not all of them are allergic to the same things, in some cases they are allergic to different opposing food items.

On the good news is that she does consume potatoes, tomatoes and other 'night shade' type plants without issues.

Sadly, much of my 5l nicotine stash is 50/50 VG/PG. (sigh)
    Glad you seem to have figured it out, it sucks that it's the PG, but I imagine it would suck even more if it were the VG as high PG liquid can be very harsh. Hopefully you can get some pure vg nic base and dilute your current stuff down enough to where it doesn't bother her anymore.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Glad you seem to have figured it out, it sucks that it's the PG, but I imagine it would suck even more if it were the VG as high PG liquid can be very harsh. Hopefully you can get some pure vg nic base and dilute your current stuff down enough to where it doesn't bother her anymore.

While it sucks it is PG (and the majority of my nicotine stash is 50/50) I'm glad that VG was not the issue.

We still are not quite sure about the nicotine but I've since mixed up some 7, 18 and 24mg juice to vape on which contain %0PG.

Here's hoping she can tolerate me vaping the new juice mixes!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Greetings,

I smoked in my house for 20yrs before my solemate moved in with me. With in a year she was having problems with my smoking so I switched to vaping. At first this was a very welcomed switch however lately she's admitted to having continued difficulty. Her father (multiple alergies) was here once and was only able to withstand the house for ~5min before having to leave. (it runs in her family)

So here we are 1.5 years later and while resting her hands on a flannel shirt of mine she started to develop a rash! The shirt (which I wear often) is generally parked close to where I vape.

While we've come to realize that we may never get ALL the smoke smell out of the house (I'm going to bombard the inside with OZONE this week) I'm having a growing concern about being able to vape.

I should say here that I vape 90% of the time unflavored. Sometimes I may have 1-5% mint or other flavoring but it represents <=10% of my vaping.

I source my VG from Essential Depot (sadly only food grade) and my Nicotine from Nude Nicotine (most of my orders are 50/50 VG/PG). While I sometimes use a 50/50 (VG/PG) juice mix I normally use ether 100% VG with 7-12mg NN mixed in (putting PG at 3.5-6%) or vape 66/33 (H2O/VG) with the same 7-12mg NN mixed in.

I do have two fresh unopened Essential Depot 32oz VG and PG bottles I'm going to try to convince her on letting me put 1 drop each on the back of her hand and see if there is a reaction. Then (hopefully) convince her to let me put a drop of the juice I use on her hand.

I've just ordered some so called "Pharmaceutical Grade" VG and PG from High Desert Vapes thinking that impurities in my juice might be causing it.

Outside of this we are at wits end. Any help would be welcome.

It is more likely the mint flavor you use

FWIW i woukd nebee USS food grade VG and PG. I only use USP grade.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread