Alibaba and JD.com to Stop E-Cigarette Sales to US Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Alibaba to Stop Sales of E-Cigarettes to U.S. Buyers

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. BABA 1.99% is suspending sales of e-cigarettes and accessories to buyers in the U.S., citing concerns about underage vaping and a mysterious lung illness that has been linked to at least 23 deaths.

Up in smoke: Alibaba to stop selling vape components in US

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd said that listings for a range of products would not be displayed for users located in the US. These include box mods, which are e-cigarettes with replaceable batteries, atomisers and storage tanks. Smaller vape pens, herbal vapours, heat-not-burn devices, and empty pod cartridges would also be pulled from the market, it said.

Alibaba to stop sales of e-cigarette components in United States

Get you atties, mods and accessories now! Is FT still good?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
They are supposedly suspending this after a lawsuit from Juul over counterfeit pods. They are reportedly stopping vapor pens, empty pods, and herbal vaporizers. I expect this will be a very targeted action aimed at counterfeit cartridges that are Juul compatible and things like Dank Vape labeled boxes with empty pods for THC use.

eBay and Amazon purportedly have long-standing rules against Vape related products. Doesn’t seem to affect much on either platform either.

Edit: really, can we stop with the click bait thread titles? There is no big ban on vapor products for sale out of China to the US, which is how this thread is titled.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
They are supposedly suspending this after a lawsuit from Juul over counterfeit pods. They are reportedly stopping vapor pens, empty pods, and herbal vaporizers. I expect this will be a very targeted action aimed at counterfeit cartridges that are Juul compatible and things like Dank Vape labeled boxes with empty pods for THC use.

eBay and Amazon purportedly have long-standing rules against Vape related products. Doesn’t seem to affect much on either platform either.

Edit: really, can we stop with the click bait thread titles? There is no big ban on vapor products for sale out of China to the US, which is how this thread is titled.
Alibaba = China e-Commerce

1-31-e1563346575644.jpg

Just How Far Ahead Is Alibaba in China’s e-Commerce Market?

Alibaba’s grip on China’s e-commerce market is so strong that some of its competitors are unable to cope. For example, Amazon will shut down its domestic Chinese marketplace this month. The move indicates its failed attempt to take on Alibaba directly in its home market. Walmart (WMT) also sold its Chinese online marketplace to JD in 2016.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Alibaba = China e-Commerce

1-31-e1563346575644.jpg

Just How Far Ahead Is Alibaba in China’s e-Commerce Market?

Alibaba’s grip on China’s e-commerce market is so strong that some of its competitors are unable to cope. For example, Amazon will shut down its domestic Chinese marketplace this month. The move indicates its failed attempt to take on Alibaba directly in its home market. Walmart (WMT) also sold its Chinese online marketplace to JD in 2016.

Top online retailer in China. International transactions are a minor portion of their business. (we're in the international part)
Alibba sales pattern Chins vs. international.JPG

Most of our vape gear purchases are not made through Alibaba. Sure, if you're in China Alibaba is a big deal. If you're not in China, it's not.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I read 2 days ago that Alibaba was 1 of the Chinese companies that the US would be stopping from doing business with the US. The article reported that it had to do with their human rights violations and other things.

Seems that Alibaba has put their own spin on the whole situation...as if they had made the decision to stop dealing with the US for the reasons given in the OP. ;)

Last edited:

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just my opinion. Good riddance.

Not a fan of Alibaba either; they are input supply chain to many e-Commerce sites though. Used to get stuff from GearBest but they no longer ship to Canada ... only FT now.

Still seeing box mod with shipping to US at the moment. However, glad my purchases for the vapocalypse are complete. If you haven't, might want to set something aside for uncertain times

Checked using Tor. Mods still available -- Aegis Solo $24.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Checked using Tor. Mods still available -- Aegis Solo $24.

As you're in Canada (I think) the restrictions to the US have no effect on your access to anything. I just checked using Chrome and a US IP address and see all the usual vape gear with no issue at all. Same for AliExpress, although I never understood the difference between the two. Obviously neither are shopping sites for me.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
As you're in Canada (I think) the restrictions to the US have no effect on your access to anything. I just checked using Chrome and a US IP address and see all the usual vape gear with no issue at all. Same for AliExpress, although I never understood the difference between the two. Obviously neither are shopping sites for me.

Tor Browser has a proxy that will use any IP address in its pool - US, Germany, France, Latvia, ... it has a button to randomly change it at will. Very useful to access sites than ban/ restrict certain countries. Downside of using proxies is speed ... super slow. Free. Google it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Tor Browser has a proxy that will use any IP address in its pool - US, Germany, France, Latvia, ... it has a button to randomly change it at will. Very useful to access sites than ban/ restrict certain countries. Downside of using proxies is speed ... super slow. Free. Google it.
I know it just rarely use it. I’ve never had much need to but as you point out there are time’s it’sa useful tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread