The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Alibaba and JD.com to Stop E-Cigarette Sales to US Buyers

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by iVapeDIY, Oct 9, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. iVapeDIY

iVapeDIY Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Alibaba to Stop Sales of E-Cigarettes to U.S. Buyers

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. BABA 1.99% is suspending sales of e-cigarettes and accessories to buyers in the U.S., citing concerns about underage vaping and a mysterious lung illness that has been linked to at least 23 deaths.

Up in smoke: Alibaba to stop selling vape components in US

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd said that listings for a range of products would not be displayed for users located in the US. These include box mods, which are e-cigarettes with replaceable batteries, atomisers and storage tanks. Smaller vape pens, herbal vapours, heat-not-burn devices, and empty pod cartridges would also be pulled from the market, it said.

Alibaba to stop sales of e-cigarette components in United States

Get you atties, mods and accessories now! Is FT still good?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    The Villages, FL
    Wonder when it goes into effect?
    Everything is still showing for me.

3. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    They are supposedly suspending this after a lawsuit from Juul over counterfeit pods. They are reportedly stopping vapor pens, empty pods, and herbal vaporizers. I expect this will be a very targeted action aimed at counterfeit cartridges that are Juul compatible and things like Dank Vape labeled boxes with empty pods for THC use.

eBay and Amazon purportedly have long-standing rules against Vape related products. Doesn’t seem to affect much on either platform either.

Edit: really, can we stop with the click bait thread titles? There is no big ban on vapor products for sale out of China to the US, which is how this thread is titled.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Alibaba = China e-Commerce

[​IMG]
    Just How Far Ahead Is Alibaba in China’s e-Commerce Market?

Alibaba’s grip on China’s e-commerce market is so strong that some of its competitors are unable to cope. For example, Amazon will shut down its domestic Chinese marketplace this month. The move indicates its failed attempt to take on Alibaba directly in its home market. Walmart (WMT) also sold its Chinese online marketplace to JD in 2016.

5. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Can't test from Canada. Will try Tor Browser if I can get lucky with US IP address.

6. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Top online retailer in China. International transactions are a minor portion of their business. (we're in the international part)
    Alibba sales pattern Chins vs. international.JPG

Most of our vape gear purchases are not made through Alibaba. Sure, if you're in China Alibaba is a big deal. If you're not in China, it's not.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JCinFLA

JCinFLA Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2015
    I read 2 days ago that Alibaba was 1 of the Chinese companies that the US would be stopping from doing business with the US. The article reported that it had to do with their human rights violations and other things.

Seems that Alibaba has put their own spin on the whole situation...as if they had made the decision to stop dealing with the US for the reasons given in the OP. ;)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Terri McVeety

Terri McVeety Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2018
    Oh wow! I never expected China to pull away from us! Smells a little fishy...

Edited to apologize:

should have read ALL the posts...sorry!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. LoveVanilla

LoveVanilla Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    Still seeing box mod with shipping to US at the moment. However, glad my purchases for the
    vapocalypse are complete. If you haven't, might want to set something aside for uncertain times

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I support the protests in Hong Kong

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Uncle Willie

Uncle Willie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

13. Haktuspit

Haktuspit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Let's hope not. A lot of us are planning on getting parts there after May.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I doubt it. Pretty different business model and not even close to being on the radar like Alibaba is. FT sells a very limited line of products compared to Alibaba which sells everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Not a fan of Alibaba either; they are input supply chain to many e-Commerce sites though. Used to get stuff from GearBest but they no longer ship to Canada ... only FT now.

Checked using Tor. Mods still available -- Aegis Solo $24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I suspect it is specifically about Juul clones and related products because of the lawsuit. That would explain most everything else still being available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    As you're in Canada (I think) the restrictions to the US have no effect on your access to anything. I just checked using Chrome and a US IP address and see all the usual vape gear with no issue at all. Same for AliExpress, although I never understood the difference between the two. Obviously neither are shopping sites for me.

18. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to Media and General News

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. iVapeDIY

Sep 1, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Tor Browser has a proxy that will use any IP address in its pool - US, Germany, France, Latvia, ... it has a button to randomly change it at will. Very useful to access sites than ban/ restrict certain countries. Downside of using proxies is speed ... super slow. Free. Google it.

20. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I know it just rarely use it. I’ve never had much need to but as you point out there are time’s it’sa useful tool.