The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Alien maker

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Bdubd, Feb 17, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I have a STL file for the guids to make an easy alien but I want to try to find some metal ones for long term use. The kind that would be in the Daedaulus v2 kit . Does anyone have any advice on where to find them.
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I assume you mean MTL. MTL and an alien coil is kind of a contradiction in terms. I suppose it’s possible though.
  3. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    No Maby I wasn't clear I have a file o computer, STL , for design engineer ect. Of 3d models that in witch I have had printed guids for either size 24 26 28 Gage wire to stay parallel to each other as I clapton.
  4. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Here is a pic of 3d printed version

Attached Files:

5. untar

untar Super Member

Feb 7, 2018
    What about a cord lock?
  6. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hhhmmm... How many cores? I'd think a couple of right-diameter holes could be bored just next to one another in any convenient piece of bar stock you happened to have laying around with nothing more than a drill press. Since the holes would be separate, you'd have to move the slide a bit farther away from the wire wrap; how far depending on the distance between the holes, relative to the diameter. If you wanted a single slit, however wide it might have to be to accommodate your cores, that would require micromachining if you have to have it in metal. Unless you happen to have a mill in your back pocket (could be done on a lathe with a pot chuck, I think, as well), I'd suggest you have it made up in titanium or something else very hard, at least chrome-moly (4340, Rockwell B100 or 8620 Chrome Nickel Moly, Rockwell B201), so you don't have to pay for it more than once. Softer materials-- a 360 grade free machining brass would be easy to work but only has a Rockwell hardness of B78-- would wear over time as you pulled the wire through them. That kind of machine work is not cheap.

It would require you to change your freehand wrapping style, but a much cheaper option you could make yourself would be something along the lines of a beading loom. Google it, if you don't know what one is. For a comb you could use something like a hacksaw blade, or a fine-tooth wood blade. Invent some way to stand them up on edge, string your cores tightly between them, and wrap away.
  7. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    wow lots of stuff to think about thanks im going to look into the beed loom thanks for your time.
  8. Bdubd

Bdubd Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    yah but i need it to slide freely . when i wrap it will push the beed all the way to the end. thanks