The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

All 30A-Capable Batteries Shootout -- Bench Test Results -- Which battery is best?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    This is the first of three battery shootouts, at 10A , 20A, and 30A, comparing the performance of all the batteries I've tested so far. Only the batteries that can used at these discharge current levels without exceeding my 100°C safety limit will be shown. If I find other batteries that can be run at 30A I'll do another shootout.

Even though we don't discharge our batteries continuously when vaping we need to try to keep our batteries from venting in case a regulated mods autofires or the button on a mech mod breaks or gets stuck on. This is the reason for the 100°C safety limit on the battery's temperature. If the temperature rose above that in my testing (at the shootout's current level), it will not be included here.

Being in this shootout does not mean that the battery will still last a long time before you need to replace it! The graph only shows how each of the included batteries performs when discharged at 30A. You can use this graph to select a battery for longest run time, highest voltage, or a combination of both.

For more information regarding which batteries can be used at certain discharge current levels, see my 18650 Safety Grades table: 18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Caution: You are responsible for your own safety! This graph is only meant as one step for you to use in narrowing down the best choices for the way you vape. Do not use it as the only source of information when picking a battery to use! This is especially true if you intend to use a battery at over 50% of its continuous current rating. I am not responsible for any damage or injury sustained by anyone using this graph to select a battery.

Shootout Results With 3.0V Cutoff
    image.jpg

Shootout Results With 3.2V Cutoff
    image.jpg

Batteries In This Shootout (links to my tests of each)
    Aspire 1800mAh 18650 Bench (Re)Test Results....beats the 25R, equals the VTC4 | E-Cigarette Forum

Efest 38A 2100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...an ok 20A cell, no higher | E-Cigarette Forum

LG HB6 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...better than SX30 at >25A | E-Cigarette Forum

LG HD2 25A 2000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...too hot at 25A, but OK 20A cell | E-Cigarette Forum

Sony VTC3 30A 1500mAh18650 Bench Test Results...a 25A cell you can use to 30A | E-Cigarette Forum

Sony VTC4 2100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a 20A cell that can be used to 30A | E-Cigarette Forum

Comments (based on the 3.0V cutoff graph)
    • Two versions of the same graph are posted above. One has a 3.0V cutoff and the other has a 3.2V cutoff. Arguments can be made for either being better...which do you prefer?
    • The Aspire ICR battery lasts the longest but dips lower in voltage at the start.
    • The HD2 and VTC4 are the next longest lasting but have a higher voltage near the start than the Aspire.
    • The HB6 does very well considering its low capacity rating, keeping up fairly well with the Aspire, HD2, and VTC4 until the end. And it runs the coolest of all of them, which help to increase battery life.
    • The VTC3's voltage isn't a lot lower than the others but its run time is a lot shorter than the leading batteries.
    • While the Efest lasts a bit longer than the VTC3 its voltage dips considerably lower than the other batteries in this shootout.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Everyone, would it be better to have the graph stay at 4.2V? Or would it be better to use a lower voltage to help expand the part of the graph with the plot lines on it? For example, 3.8V, where the plot lines begin to separate from the left margin of the graph.

The upper voltage would be different for each shootout though because the initial voltage drop is very different for 10A, 20A, and 30A discharges. Would this be confusing? Or would it be OK since direct comparisons across the shootouts probably won't be done very often?

3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    I can't reply to your question intelligently as I am full of cider. But I would like to say thanks for all the great work with your testing, the community definitely appreciates it.

• Like Like x 9
  4. d4gger

d4gger Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS, USA
    Thank you very much for the work and for sharing! I like the expanded plot lines, they sure make it easier to see where my cutoff under load is.

Maybe use 3.9 volts as a universal top point. I know 5-10A discharges can spend several dozen mAh to reach there, so that might be odd - lower discharge rates would not be seen to touch the Y axis. But I think the ease of reading the graph pays out there too though..
    3.1 volts might be a good universal bottom. I doubt many folks who care enough to read graphs on their batteries run much lower than 3.1 loaded volts intentionally.

It might also help to range the x axis down so the longest-lasting contender doesn't touch bottom, although that one certainly will raise some eyebrows... the neverending cell! :)

Now I'll stop bugging you with troublesome suggestions, and go find someone else to appreciate/pick on. Thank you again, Mooch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crazytalon
    This message by crazytalon has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Sep 7, 2015, Reason: Unregistered Supplier.
    Jul 30, 2015
  6. Froth

Froth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2014
    Chipotle.
    ...That Efest 38A is pathetic.

Any chance you'd start to do a "vape usage" style test? I'm more after pulse drain data than anything continuous as vaping isn't a continuous drain activity in any way if we're honest. Continuous drain has begun to mean very little to me because I will pretty much never constantly discharge the battery, what I'm primarily interested in is what battery will most reliably give the best/highest voltage 3-5 second pulse with the least heat at 30A. Some sort of test that simulates vaping more readily would be awesome, but I understand that what I'm asking is inherently time consuming and I imagine you have little of that free.

Realistically, for what I want I need my own battery testing stuffs. I know, I know...perhaps in time I'll acquire the required equipment however finding the time is a whole different story.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    The comparative performance of these cells really doesn't change much when going from constant-current to pulsed current. Yea, a couple cells might exchanges places on the "top ten" list, but there aren't any big changes. If one cell does well against another in a constant-current test, odds are it will do the same in a pulsed test.

Having said that though, I've been trying to come up with ways to include pulsed testing, safety limited, in my cell reviews. I know most people feel it's just a more realistic and applicable test to do. A 10A pulsed discharge (4s on/30s off) can take three hours to run for a higher capacity cell though!

Should have something soon though. :)

I did notice that with a 30A pulsed discharge, 4s on/30s off, that the cells I tested all were within about a 5°C spread in temperature around 47°C. I didn't even bother recording temperature after the first few, they were so close. These were only cells that had not received a Fail safety grade in the constant-current tests so I wasn't worried about overheating either.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Posted the pulsed-discharge version of the 30A tests and there were some changes in which cells did best. Not big changes, but enough for me to reconsider my stance on constant-current discharges being good enough.

All 30A-Capable Batteries Pulsed Shootout -- Bench Test Results -- Some changes when pulsed | E-Cigarette Forum

Time for me to find some blue cheese dressing for the words of mine that I am eating right now! Need to find some time to do more pulse testing too. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. SUPER K

SUPER K Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2015
    Here at M-Tech consulting we firmly stand behind Mooch's data, blue cheese and all. Please use caution and common sense when using high discharge batteries with blue cheese, improper handling can yield undesirable outcomes.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Nokosa

Nokosa Senior Member ECF Veteran

4 pcs Sony 18650VTC4 will these suffice for around .15-.20ohm at 80ish watts? Should be around 25amps, so I'm assuming that is safe. Is two 30amp batteries more than 30amps? Can't find info on that, and I'm holding my 7 week old. She is passed out lol.

11. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    That's running it very hard but a single VTC4 will be able to handle 0.15 ohms. You'll get longer battery life (time before replacing your batteries) using the HB6 though because it runs cooler.

If you have a dual parallel mod then each VTC4 can handle up to 30A for a total of 60A or so. They don't share current perfectly equally so call it 50A max, probably about 180W in a regulated mod.

12. fenderstrat

fenderstrat Senior Member

Nov 28, 2015
    aston,pa
    I know I'm a little late to the party but this is AWESOME info great job man

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Thanks! More shootouts coming at the end of the year. :)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.