All e-liquids taste weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Is this normal? Very very few eliquids taste like actual flavours to me, let alone good flavours.

Other people are trying the same liquid and saying it tastes great, and all I taste is lipstick or chalk or glue or perfume. I recently tried about 60% of a store's inventory and found only one that was okay and felt like a dweeb in the process. I've tried some sample packs from online retailers, same deal.

Not sure what advice I hope to gain from this but, am is this normal? Is my mouth wrong? Realizing flavour is very subjective, are there any suggestions for juices I might be actually able to taste properly?

I guess I just have to keep looking to nail the perfect flavour. So far that's snozzberry but I need to replace the wick daily and it only goes to 6mg nic.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I had the same problem. I just wasn't able to taste the flavor profile on juices except for a few. I have tried a lot of juice and only about a handful I really like. I also DIY so that may be an option for you. Not much else I can offer (others may), but that has been my experience.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Some great advice so far.

I had a similar issue when I started vaping. One recommendation that worked for me was using Biotene for awhile, to help moisturize the mouth as the taste buds rejuvenate.

Trying a strong mint (sometimes termed as "Ice") can be helpful also, as mentioned earlier.

As also mentioined, DIY is always an option, and can be real fun! We have a wealth of information in our DIY sub-forum: DIY E-Liquid

Good luck! :)

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
If you smoked for a long time it will take a while for your taste buds to come around. Maybe try some mints or lemon lime. Something really bright for a while

I smoked for a while I wasn't a heavy smoker so I figured that would have resolved by now. In fact I didn't notice any change in my tasting abilities since I quit about four months ago. I can definitely detect lemon - if a flavour contains lemon (like a lemonade or rocket pop type of thing) I can taste it, but it's more of a bitter zest kind of flavour.

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Some great advice so far.

I had a similar issue when I started vaping. One recommendation that worked for me was using Biotene for awhile, to help moisturize the mouth as the taste buds rejuvenate.

Trying a strong mint (sometimes termed as "Ice") can be helpful also, as mentioned earlier.

As also mentioined, DIY is always an option, and can be real fun! We have a wealth of information in our DIY sub-forum: DIY E-Liquid

Good luck! :)

I can definitely detect mint! Of course, that happens to be flavour I don't like :rolleyes: I swear I feel like the most difficult customer in the world but I'm not, I just want something that tastes good to me.

I have considered DIY but I'm ascared of the liquid nicotine.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Absolutely nothing to be scared of. Most of the horror stories are hypothetical BS. Great DIY section on here and lots of helpful people. If you cant taste pretty much anything then making it yourself may not be the whole answer. Out of curiosity, what equipment are you using?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've been vaping for 8 years and most eliquids taste weird to me also. ;) I've found a few that I tolerate, but I often dilute them with PG/VG to make them less potent. I also vape just plain unflavored. I find that mint/menthol or some mild tobacco/menthol blends are the easiest to get used to (but I dilute most of them also :facepalm:).

Sonic's advice about Biotene is spot on. It helps to keep your mouth moist and fresh. Snacking on pickles and/or sauerkraut can be helpful, too.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have considered DIY but I'm ascared of the liquid nicotine.

I take it you're scared of 100 mg/ml nicotine? Is that right? You can get nicotine base in any concentration--12, 18, 24 mg/ml if that makes you feel safer. Nude Nicotine is a great place to order nicotine base--and you can customize your PG/VG ratio and concentration. First time customers can request a free sample--just pay for S/H.

Nicotine Sample Request - Nude Nicotine

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I swear I feel like the most difficult customer in the world but I'm not, I just want something that tastes good to me.
You are not being difficult; you just know what you like, and don't like. Don't apologize for that... ever.

Mostly good advise here (though I would not recommend Nude Nicotine as a vendor). Unflavored may well be a good option for you. It is quite neutral; with just a touch of sweetness. Your coils will last forever (compared to flavored juices). If you vape a lot while eating, or drinking, it conflicts with nothing.

I have been DIYing my own e-liquid for more than two years now, and a year, yearand ahalf ago, I found myself in a rut... nothing tasted good to me. My previously mixed juice was about gone, and I had no clue what sounded good to me; so I mixed up a small batch of unflavored just to tie me over. Now, unflavored makes up about 70-80% of what I vape. Flavored mixes are a treat... and the unflavored is my solid, dependable workhorse.

If you are not comfortable mixing your own; there are many sources that will make it to your specs (PG, VG, and nic).

And last, I will finish with a question: what do you want/like/wish for in a vape? What sort of flavor/flavor profile are you wanting to find?

I hope you find what you are looking for.
:D

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Absolutely nothing to be scared of. Most of the horror stories are hypothetical BS. Great DIY section on here and lots of helpful people. If you cant taste pretty much anything then making it yourself may not be the whole answer. Out of curiosity, what equipment are you using?

Haha, thanks :) I'm using a siren GTA at around 1.4 ohms and 13W.

Reactions: stols001

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
I take it you're scared of 100 mg/ml nicotine? Is that right? You can get nicotine base in any concentration--12, 18, 24 mg/ml if that makes you feel safer. Nude Nicotine is a great place to order nicotine base--and you can customize your PG/VG ratio and concentration. First time customers can request a free sample--just pay for S/H.

Nicotine Sample Request - Nude Nicotine

Oh! That makes sense, then you just add your flavours? It was that super concentrated nicotine liquid I'm scared of, I'd be fine with a pre-mixed base.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
100 mg/ml is not 100% nicotine, I believe it is 10% nicotine. 100% nic would be 1000mg/ml, and that stuff IS hazardous, most DIY companies don't even sell it at that strength and it's definitely not recommended. You need a chemical hood and hazard gear. I hope I'm getting my math right.

But certainly, you can purchase any strength of nicotine and some wholesalers will allow you to vary the PG/VG concentrations to your taste as well (some offer nic base in just PG or VG). With that said, finding a supplier who can give you a base that you can just add flavors to is totally doable.

Some people do enjoy unflavored liquid, VG does have a naturally slightly sweet taste, but DIY flavoring will give you a great deal of leeway as far as how MUCH flavoring you use. I find most storebought to be WAY too intense for my taste, especially now that I'm tasting more. I took up DIY early on, and while I do use gloves, I no longer use a mask, and I use a large flat baking sheet for all my bottles/ingredients, so that if there is mess ,it's easily wiped up. Were you to spill even 100 mg/ml on yourself, you'd be fine just washing it off, and if it gets on clothing, remove it and a quick shower, if you have a disastrous spill. Nic does get absorbed through the skin, but it's not exactly an instantaneous process.

I found DIY to be WAAAAY easier than I was expecting, and I am pleased with my results. I started out very simply with single flavor mixes and read a lot of recipes and started combining flavoring in my tank, (to me, easier to pour out an awful tank than an awful bottle of flavor) and am kind of gradually building my skills. I enjoy it, but kind of figured I would since I like cooking, and figuring out flavoring profiles is similar.

Some DIY places will offer more "natural" flavors (supposedly), I haven't actually tried them, but it's something you may want to check out. But DIY is a great way to be in control of your own flavoring additives (and mine are usually around 3-4% flavoring, while some storebought can be up to 15-20%!) and I know I'm not adding in coloring, or anything else, and I like having the ability to make my own stuff.

I really think you would enjoy DIY. There is a DIY subforum with tons of helpful info and pinned threads and recipes....

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I did think I'd enjoy DIY and I did. I did think I would NOT enjoy building my own coils, and I was also correct. LOL. Though it has led to some moments of hilarity in our household.... Good luck, and the DIY forum will be your friend. There are e-juice calculators and all kinds of helpful things. If you do try flavors, write everything down.... That way if you like it you can replicate it. Also, most flavors require a bit of steeping, so don't expect to shake then vape, although some flavors are fine doing that... Others really need to mix together a bit to get going. Have fun!

Anna

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I think the biggest issue with store bought is the amount of sweetner. That could be part of your issue with taste. I use it but normally at .5 or so. Some of the store bought can be 5% or more. Try the DIY. Use a good calculator (I use ejuicemeup) and start with simple recipes. Single flavors. You dont need ten ingredients to make good juice. The nice part is, 30ml's will cost you about 2 bucks

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
I've only enjoyed two flavours, both from the same company in London, but those flavours would cost me £5 per day ($6.50), which is far more than I ever spent on rolling my own cigarettes.

So I can't justify the expense and therefore make my own juice instead, which I am very happy with. It costs about £1 ($1.30) for 10 ml, using high quality ingredients.

Reactions: Beamslider

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
So I can't justify the expense and therefore make my own juice instead, which I am very happy with. It costs about £1 ($1.30) for 10 ml, using high quality ingredients.

I don't see justification in juice thats $1.00 per ml to buy, then vaping 10+mls a day. Once you get rebuilding coils and making your own juice the cost just plummets to almost nothing. Not adding in the gear that has been bought my wife and I can vape uncontrollably for @15 bucks a month vs 30 bucks a day for ciggys.
Your taste buds have been covered, layered and coated with years of smoking and it takes some time to repair them. Granted some juices taste like schite, that can't be helped but IMO after a while if vaping and the buds heal the juice will taste better. But I didn't know how good juice can be until I began vaping DIY juices that don't have all the added unknowns that some commercial juices could have. Within the first few months of DIY I couldn't pallet the commercial juices anymore even cutting them down they still were so YUK that I gave them all away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread