The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

All these newer MTL RTAs (Berserker, Siren V2 etc.) "better" than good ol' Kayfun Lite?

Discussion in 'RTA' started by flexy123, Feb 6, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. flexy123

flexy123 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    I am a MTL vaper at 10-12W and love my draw very tight..so tight that I actually had to mod my Kayfun V3 and Kayfun V5 and even my Kayfun Lite where I taped on hole because I found it too airy.

I am still using my Kayfun Lite for like..forever, all the other stuff I don't even use anymore.

I hear there are new MTL RTAs out, the Berserker, Siren, Ares etc. and more coming out every day. I am wondering whether any of those is actually better, with better taste etc. as compared to the good old Kayfun? What are your experiences?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I am no longer much of a MTL vaper, but I do still, occasionally, reach for my Kayfun, Russian, Taifun, Rose, Erl, or other such tank. That means I am likely not the best one to answer this question.

However....... The answer to your question is flatly, no, not really... The new crop is typically easier to build on, eschewing tiny screws for chunkier ones, and most are top fill as opposed to removing a tiny screw in the bottom. The benefits in vapor and flavor production are not, IMO, really noticeable.

However (again)....... The "nothing beats my Kayfun" attitude is what has kept the vape industry from introducing a wealth of MTL atomizers until just recently. I'm not saying that this is the attitude you have, but it's kinda implied...

Think about it. If you were a manufacturer and saw a great hue and cry for new MTL tanks, you might step forward and fill the void. Instead, all that I've read has been "Nothing beats my Kayfun (or other)" alongside the plethora of complaints that no one build for MTL vapers anymore. And, now that MTL tanks ARE being releases in quantity - potentially eliminating one of the complaints - I still see questions like this.

Secondary answer: You won't know if you like it until you try it and no one else's opinion on the matter should matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. bombastinator

bombastinator Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ehhhhh.. depends. Kayfun are harder to wick, but if you’ve gotten good at wicking kayfun that’s not an issue. The build decks tend to be larger and easier to work on, and there’s room to do things like play with exotic coils. You’ve got to be interested in doing those things though. If you were a new vaper id say yes, but you’re not. If you want a new toy to play with of course go for it, but a materially better vape?... maybe. A little. Depending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd say if you are looking for a very tight draw, the Berserker might work for you. Flavor is unbeatable in my opinion. Full disclosure, I have only vaped Kayfun clones and I'm sure the originals are better. But, I really like the Siren V2, but it's an airier draw honestly, than my prime clone and there are those that do not like its flavor. I ordered an Ares but it just arrived yesterday and I haven't set it up.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a berserker. I think it shines best in the 2 ml configuration (more immediate draw) but it is not a "thirsty" tank by any means. I prefer my berserker to my prime clone, but I'm not the hugest fan of Juice flow control.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. flexy123

flexy123 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 29, 2009
    I will likely check out the Berserker, just out of curiosity. Yes I heard the Siren is airier, this is why I don't even consider it. TBH, the only gripe I have with my old Kayfun Lite is that it's a pain to put a new coil on due to the odd screws with no guide for the wires. Wicking the Kayfun Lite I learned, the key with these is to keep the holes on the side unobstructed for good juice flow. (After wicking and pushing the cotton down, use a tiny screwdriver and press the cotton on both sides inwards so the holes are free. This has solved all my Kayfun troubles I had in the early times when I was still a rookie :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just couldn't deal with the Kayfun Lite style fill method anymore. I wouldn't even use bottom fill tanks anymore, and I've pretty much settled on only buying top airflow tanks from now on.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. crammit442

crammit442 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I've been using a KF Lite for years and it's a GREAT RTA. I recently read all the positive reviews of the SXK Doggy Style. I bought two and like them a lot. Super easy builds, no leaks, easier filling, etc. There's a whole thread on it in the RTA forum. It's probably going to cause me to phase out the KF.
    Charles

Here's the link to the thread I mentioned.
    SXK DOGGY STYLE

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. ToolmanTexas

ToolmanTexas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    The Berserker mini is the first RTA in the last 2 years that, IMO, matches the draw and flavor of the KFL. I am a huge KFL fan, especially for tobacco juices and the Berserker, for my tobaccos, matches the tight draw and flavor of the KFL. The SXK DoggyStyle is a close 2nd but can't get as tight as the Berserker but still is a fantastic RTA and for $10 more than worth the investment.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cirus

Cirus Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2014
    Texas
    Since the coppervape skyline/hussar, and cthulhu hastur, with their alternative airflow configurations have not been mentioned, is it safe to conclude they're not close?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Hastur is there. Only killer for me is the 24mm size... They say they are working on a 22

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cirus

Cirus Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks. 22mm would be nice. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 24mm since the Ares isn't a tight enough draw.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ToolmanTexas

May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Yep, the Hastur w the 1mm was spot on also, forgot to mention it since I sold it since it is very large.

Yeah, didn't even bite on Ares because I can tell the airflow is to large... Sold the Prime for same reason.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've vaped Kayfun Lite Plus V2 for years and nothing swayed me from the KF. I have a box full of the latest and greatest new atomizers from years past that are sitting idle. I always come back to the KFLV2.

Lately I've been impressed by the Vandy Vape Beserker, Innokin Ares, and the Digiflavor Siren 2, all in the 24mm size. These three may be what eventually breaks me free of the Kayfun. I like top fill and the short 24mm diameter on my mods that are able to accommodate 24mm. 24mm allows 4.5ml capacity in smaller tanks.

The flavor, ease of build, and no leak tendency of Kayfun 2 is what sold me on KF. I like to pocket carry and I can't deal with something that leaks juice in my pocket.

I've found that the three tanks above are yielding better flavor than my Kayfuns and that's a real plus. So far they've been leak free in pocket carry, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1