All these newer MTL RTAs (Berserker, Siren V2 etc.) "better" than good ol' Kayfun Lite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am a MTL vaper at 10-12W and love my draw very tight..so tight that I actually had to mod my kayfun V3 and kayfun V5 and even my kayfun Lite where I taped on hole because I found it too airy.

I am still using my Kayfun Lite for like..forever, all the other stuff I don't even use anymore.

I hear there are new MTL RTAs out, the Berserker, Siren, Ares etc. and more coming out every day. I am wondering whether any of those is actually better, with better taste etc. as compared to the good old Kayfun? What are your experiences?

Reactions: stols001

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I am no longer much of a MTL vaper, but I do still, occasionally, reach for my Kayfun, Russian, Taifun, Rose, Erl, or other such tank. That means I am likely not the best one to answer this question.

However....... The answer to your question is flatly, no, not really... The new crop is typically easier to build on, eschewing tiny screws for chunkier ones, and most are top fill as opposed to removing a tiny screw in the bottom. The benefits in vapor and flavor production are not, IMO, really noticeable.

However (again)....... The "nothing beats my Kayfun" attitude is what has kept the vape industry from introducing a wealth of MTL atomizers until just recently. I'm not saying that this is the attitude you have, but it's kinda implied...

Think about it. If you were a manufacturer and saw a great hue and cry for new MTL tanks, you might step forward and fill the void. Instead, all that I've read has been "Nothing beats my Kayfun (or other)" alongside the plethora of complaints that no one build for MTL vapers anymore. And, now that MTL tanks ARE being releases in quantity - potentially eliminating one of the complaints - I still see questions like this.

Secondary answer: You won't know if you like it until you try it and no one else's opinion on the matter should matter.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ehhhhh.. depends. Kayfun are harder to wick, but if you’ve gotten good at wicking kayfun that’s not an issue. The build decks tend to be larger and easier to work on, and there’s room to do things like play with exotic coils. You’ve got to be interested in doing those things though. If you were a new vaper id say yes, but you’re not. If you want a new toy to play with of course go for it, but a materially better vape?... maybe. A little. Depending.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd say if you are looking for a very tight draw, the Berserker might work for you. Flavor is unbeatable in my opinion. Full disclosure, I have only vaped Kayfun clones and I'm sure the originals are better. But, I really like the Siren V2, but it's an airier draw honestly, than my prime clone and there are those that do not like its flavor. I ordered an Ares but it just arrived yesterday and I haven't set it up.

I'd say you can't go wrong with a berserker. I think it shines best in the 2 ml configuration (more immediate draw) but it is not a "thirsty" tank by any means. I prefer my berserker to my prime clone, but I'm not the hugest fan of Juice flow control.

Anna

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I will likely check out the Berserker, just out of curiosity. Yes I heard the Siren is airier, this is why I don't even consider it. TBH, the only gripe I have with my old Kayfun Lite is that it's a pain to put a new coil on due to the odd screws with no guide for the wires. Wicking the Kayfun Lite I learned, the key with these is to keep the holes on the side unobstructed for good juice flow. (After wicking and pushing the cotton down, use a tiny screwdriver and press the cotton on both sides inwards so the holes are free. This has solved all my Kayfun troubles I had in the early times when I was still a rookie :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I will likely check out the Berserker, just out of curiosity. Yes I heard the Siren is airier, this is why I don't even consider it. TBH, the only gripe I have with my old Kayfun Lite is that it's a pain to put a new coil on due to the odd screws with no guide for the wires. Wicking the Kayfun Lite I learned, the key with these is to keep the holes on the side unobstructed for good juice flow. (After wicking and pushing the cotton down, use a tiny screwdriver and press the cotton on both sides inwards so the holes are free. This has solved all my Kayfun troubles I had in the early times when I was still a rookie :)
I just couldn't deal with the Kayfun Lite style fill method anymore. I wouldn't even use bottom fill tanks anymore, and I've pretty much settled on only buying top airflow tanks from now on.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
I've been using a KF Lite for years and it's a GREAT RTA. I recently read all the positive reviews of the SXK Doggy Style. I bought two and like them a lot. Super easy builds, no leaks, easier filling, etc. There's a whole thread on it in the RTA forum. It's probably going to cause me to phase out the KF.
Charles

Here's the link to the thread I mentioned.
SXK DOGGY STYLE

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
The Berserker mini is the first RTA in the last 2 years that, IMO, matches the draw and flavor of the KFL. I am a huge KFL fan, especially for tobacco juices and the Berserker, for my tobaccos, matches the tight draw and flavor of the KFL. The SXK DoggyStyle is a close 2nd but can't get as tight as the Berserker but still is a fantastic RTA and for $10 more than worth the investment.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've vaped Kayfun Lite Plus V2 for years and nothing swayed me from the KF. I have a box full of the latest and greatest new atomizers from years past that are sitting idle. I always come back to the KFLV2.

Lately I've been impressed by the Vandy Vape Beserker, Innokin Ares, and the Digiflavor Siren 2, all in the 24mm size. These three may be what eventually breaks me free of the Kayfun. I like top fill and the short 24mm diameter on my mods that are able to accommodate 24mm. 24mm allows 4.5ml capacity in smaller tanks.

The flavor, ease of build, and no leak tendency of Kayfun 2 is what sold me on KF. I like to pocket carry and I can't deal with something that leaks juice in my pocket.

I've found that the three tanks above are yielding slightly better flavor than my Kayfuns and that's a real plus. So far they've been leak free in pocket carry, too.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
However (again)....... The "nothing beats my Kayfun" attitude is what has kept the vape industry from introducing a wealth of MTL atomizers until just recently. I'm not saying that this is the attitude you have, but it's kinda implied...

Think about it. If you were a manufacturer and saw a great hue and cry for new MTL tanks, you might step forward and fill the void. Instead, all that I've read has been "Nothing beats my Kayfun (or other)" alongside the plethora of complaints that no one build for MTL vapers anymore. And, now that MTL tanks ARE being releases in quantity - potentially eliminating one of the complaints - I still see questions like this.
But, the Kayfun is no longer being made, not the MTL ones anyway.

So, for all the people who aren't already stocked up for life, the cry is to find something new that's just as good as the KFL. Same draw and flavor, but still available. And, if possible, easier to fill. And maybe even a little shorter and cuter.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
But, the Kayfun is no longer being made, not the MTL ones anyway.

So, for all the people who aren't already stocked up for life, the cry is to find something new that's just as good as the KFL. Same draw and flavor, but still available. And, if possible, easier to fill. And maybe even a little shorter and cuter.
And on that note, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Vandy Vape Berzerker mini :)

I personally bought all the new MTL tanks (except the Ares) to support the manufacturers and then sold off what I didn't like.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
I have Siren2 and love it. Very good flavour and draw control...from very, very, very tight draw on single smallest hole to very airy on all 5 holes open. You can use single holes or same as Nautilus 2 combination of five holes. I like to vape on 3 smalest holes open (it perfectly simulate draw from actual cigarette) and cannot even imagine how somebody could enjoying to vape on single smallest hole.
I have Nautilus, Nautilus2, Smok Baby Beast, Mello3 tanks and Siren2 beats all of them in every regard. Refilling is extremelly convenient as top part use bayonet instead thread so just pressing it down and quarter turn open it without much hassle (Nautilus2 is terrible in this regard as thread and vacum inside make it very difficult to unscrew). All other tanks quite often gurgle, make cracking, popping noises but Siren 2 so far offers me quiet smooth vape without flooding or dry hits. I was considering Berserker but read that it is good for only those that enjoy extremelly tight draw. I am absolutelly MTL kind of vaper but I hate very tight/long draws.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Thanks for the info. I just like the KF 5 so much but haven't tried KF Lite. When I started with it I liked the larger air but after having a bunch of these as my only choice I feel the smallest setting is a bit big but can't complain.
I also have fiddled with the wick but ALWAYS now loosen the cap before each vape to get good wicking. Still I've learned that if I like it, why bother anymore as a couple other RDTAs gave me trouble with harsh vape... I assume my wicking skills suck but wtf.
***I have an authentic and few clones that work fine... the authentic is giving me a problem with the ohms being higher than they should be. The same 6 wrap SS 2.5mm coil which normally registers .43 ohms is showing .55 to .65
Please comment or direct me to another thread? THANKS
Hey Anna, I just ordered a SXL Doggy Style because of this thread, and a Berserker from same dealer on ebay.

carbonbegone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Indy
Yea, so haven't been on the forum for a few years, as a cigarette replacer, pretty much quit searching once I arrived at kayfun / Russian RTA's.
The last few years the industry has been focused on sub-ohm stuff mostly, now lo-&-behold MTL vaping is back !
So I bought a siren 2 22mm to give it a try ; the easy filling & really easy coil mounting drew me in.
The thing is ; just not getting consistent results, flavor & vapor just doesn't seem as 'focused' as the kayfin lite / Russian's.
Suspect the much larger interior diameter of the siren chimney is the culprit for the settings I like.
Usual target is 1.2 - 1.4ohm which ends up liking 11+ to 12.5 watts. Batteries & wicks last a long time at these settings.
I'm reasonably experienced w / coiling & wicking, but it appears I'm 'doing it wrong' on some level.
Really like the easy filling / coiling / wicking & would like to make it work.
Suggestions .. ?

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Yea, so haven't been on the forum for a few years, as a cigarette replacer, pretty much quit searching once I arrived at kayfun / Russian RTA's.
The last few years the industry has been focused on sub-ohm stuff mostly, now lo-&-behold MTL vaping is back !
So I bought a siren 2 22mm to give it a try ; the easy filling & really easy coil mounting drew me in.
The thing is ; just not getting consistent results, flavor & vapor just doesn't seem as 'focused' as the kayfin lite / Russian's.
Suspect the much larger interior diameter of the siren chimney is the culprit for the settings I like.
Usual target is 1.2 - 1.4ohm which ends up liking 11+ to 12.5 watts. Batteries & wicks last a long time at these settings.
I'm reasonably experienced w / coiling & wicking, but it appears I'm 'doing it wrong' on some level.
Really like the easy filling / coiling / wicking & would like to make it work.
Suggestions .. ?
The Siren V2 didn't do it for me.. being a die-hard KFL and Spheroid lover the Berserker mini has been the one for me, of the new MTL RTAs, that is in the same range, for me, with those beloved devices. I bottom fill mine as some have issues with top fill and gurgling. Building and wicking is super simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread