Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I'm going through a head a day on EVODs this week, so it's not a vivi nova-exclusive situation. I, too, am looking into rebuilding. I think the juice has a lot to do with it. I'm using 3 different eGo batteries (all C-upgrades) and tend to use bakery MBV juices. After one tank, my clearo gets to the point where all I get are dry hits. I think I am burning the coils out at some point. When I change to a new head, it's fine again. I'm confused/apprehensive to try dry-burning, because I can't dissasemble the heads - they are tiny!

I feel your pain, $1.50 a day I'm paying for heads is cray cray! I'm nervous about rebuilding, but willing to try to save money. Someone mentioned in another thread to hang onto the old heads in the case that you decide to take on rebuilding.

Rebuilding Vivi Nova heads, Protank heads, and evod heads is about as simple as rebuilding gets. Look Up PBusardo's review of the ViVi Nova the last half of the video he rebuilds one. The protank and Evod are basically the same process with shorter wicks.

You can get 100 ft of 32 gauge Kanthal wire on eBay from TEMCO for about $6 and if you get lucky free shipping. You will have to shop around for wicking. I really haven't found a good deal on silica wick. $1 a foot is about average from what I see.

If you do not have a PV that shows you the Ohms of the rebuilt head AND has short protection (I use my Vamo) you will want to pick up a multimeter or the little $20 box 510 thraded one from MadVapes.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I have multiple Vivi Novas and try to dedicate a different flavor to each. On a clear liquid I can run 30-60ml or more through it before the coil needs cleaning or replacing. Something darker, like Tiramisu, needs it more often.

You say you're a chain vaper. Me, too. I'm convinced that tanks can scorch the juice if you don't let them cool down. When you take a dozen or so hits within a few minutes, you'll notice that the tank feels warm/hot on the outside. So the juice inside is still being heated when you hit that button again. I think the bad taste often starts when I'm chain vaping. I've started switching to a different tank immediately when it tastes a tiny bit harsh and letting the first one cools down. It seems to be less of a problem. (It helps that, after 3 years of vaping, I have a lot of PVs littering my desktop.) I also think higher resistance and lower voltage keep juice from overheating.

Katya, thanks for the vodka tip. I haven't been having much luck reusing coils after I've cleaned them. I have quite a collection. And plenty of vodka as I don't drink. I shall get all my old coils sloshed tomorrow.

Last edited:

AbqDave

Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Albuquerque, NM, USA
This is a top feeder, right? I think it's possible to out-smoke them. The wick can't keep up, they get hot and scorched liquid builds up on the wick. If you fiddle with them (make sure they are screwed in right, loosen the silicone collar) it's better. But if you like to suck down a lot of liquid, I agree a cartotank is sooooo much easier. Check out ibtanked

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well hello there, Poeia! Nice to see you (and you your avatar :)).

Yup, just give them a nice vodka bath, a few hours should do it, swish them around once in a while and they should work better. If they are very dirty, rinse them out and repeat. Just remember that no amount of vodka will dissolve that baked-on gunk on your coil. Sooner or later you'll have to dry burn--or throw them out.

Magsimus858

May 16, 2013
San Diego
you should look into mech mods!! best decision of my life. i was in your same situation, spending money on countless replacement heads. but as soon as i made the switch into mech mods and RBAs i felt like i ascended into vaping heaven! the taste is amazing. the vapor production is amazing. going from an eGo to a mech mod was a huge life changer !

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I've been vaping 10 months now. I tried a dual coil tank (DCT), cartos, atomizers (dripping), and the Vision Vivi Nova. The Vivi Nova was the best but, I'm having the same problem you are. Batteries have been KGO, Vision Spinner, Joye Twist. I was ready to quit vaping and decided to try rebuilding. I picked up a digital multimeter for about $5.49 at Harbor Freight, 32 A-1 kanthal on ebay (about $6) and some Silica (nonfiberglass) from madvapes ($2.50 for 5 meters, but 2.5 mm diameter, but I find it's too thick). Rebuilding is quite easy, but I'm still struggling with dry hits and taste. I actually rebuilt my first heads tonight.

I'm starting to think it's my homemade juice. I just ordered some juices from Fasttech along with a Vamo. Vaping is expensive and a huge PITA. But it did help me quit smoking. Be prepared for a lot of headaches. I, too, chain vape and go through a head a day, if not more. I rinse them with water (tried vodka doesn't work), let dry, dry burn the gunk off until they stop smoking, rinse again. Let dry. They are never as good as new ones. I do think it's the juice and gunk buildup on them. I don't know what the solution to that is other than a new design that keeps the juice off the heating element.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread