Also "Not Really New" But stuck....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia

Dec 3, 2010
michigan
As of 12-21-10 I will be one year on e-cigs. I Started from THIS message board, but for some reason now it says I am not a user and must start anew.
That's fine, because at the moment I have a lot of frustrations to vent!
I was only going t post on the site where I usually buy my items, but since I HAVE to post in new man's land and New people are going to read this, maybe that's not so bad eh?
A year ago I would buy atomizers and they'd last for a week each. I posted if this was normal, people said no they should last longer, but sometimes "stuff happens".
Ok. Well I put in an order on November 23rd. THIS YEAR. After buying attys after attys. 3 Atty's in the order. All 3 are dead now. Only one of which my supplier will take back. Ok. ANother risk I take.
A year ago in prefilled tips, one tip would last me one day, usually two (Yes being refilled). In the same order as above I got 3 boxes, aka 15 tips. As of today I have 1 tip unopened.
I've tried youtube, messages, How-to's, emails, EVEN SCOPE & Vodka!.....Nothing has prolonged the life of any of the units or the accessories I've used till now (Mostly 510's and KR808's).
So as of today I've gone from a $5 a day habit to....about the same once you add in the unit, the parts you have to replace almost weekly, juice, tips, fillers, on and on. Not to mention the jaw pain I now have from trying to pull off these malfunctioning units I keep getting sent.
Not fun.
I was one of E-cigs BIGGEST promoters until about a month ago. I guess 11 months of telling myself it'll get better, while the products get consistantly worse and cost more, I'm just at the end of my rope. And YES they are getting worse. I was happy to pay for an atty a week, 3 dying within a week though? COnsistantly? WTF?!?!
And yes, I've tried dripping (YAY for mouths of wet liquid which burns your mouth and tongue!), Tried cartomizers (YAY! For products which have very little use out of the box with no hit or vapor and once refilled NEVER get any better!), stronger batteries & Attys (YAY! For more electronic junk which dies quickly within 3 days, while still leaving you thinking....where's the better flavor or hit at?)
So....At almost my year anniversary, I'm left feeling like I want to go smoke a Camel & get that AHHHHHHHHHH, so I don't get ripped off anymore with e-cigs that used to be amazing things and yet now leave me feeling unfulfilled and ripped off.
Anyone?

B-Rad_The_Mad_Vapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
In a pile of sawdust
That shouldn't be happening, I'd say you have a poor unit or your using the wrong atties or something, they shouldn't get hot enough to burn filler that soon or melt the cart. sounds like your using HV w/ LR atty.
What equipment are you using(PV & atty)? my atties last more than a month.

Last edited:

Alicia

Dec 3, 2010
michigan
That shouldn't be happening, I'd say you have a poor unit or your using the wrong atties or something, they shouldn't get hot enough to burn filler that soon or melt the cart. sounds like your using HV w/ LR atty.
What equipment are you using? my atties last more than a month.
I started with a JOY510, I've tried both regular 510 AND HV 510 attys, both will not last more then 3 days. (I've easily gone through 30 attys in this last year) I've bought at LEAST 10 batteries. also within the last year, I've even got them in colors so I know which batterys and attys I bought when. Both normal short 510 batterys, longer 510's AND I have 2 KR808 Batterys with 510 adapters.
I really wish I could figure this out because I'm at the end of my rope and about to go back to smoking crap smelling cigarettes instead of waiting on a $20 order with $7 shipping for 3 days when it won't even last as long as it took to get to me =/ (Not to mention my husband would KILL me if I went back to regular smoking, sigh)
Should I scrap everything and just start with a new setup? At this point not a single thing from a year ago exists anymore as even the batteries long ago stopped holding charges.
Thanks!

Last edited:

B-Rad_The_Mad_Vapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
In a pile of sawdust
well many people like the 510, I started w/ an EGO (a 510 w/ bigger battery) neither one of them should be used w/ a HV or LR atty, should be using about 2.5-3.0ohm atty. I personally didn't even like my EGO even though many rave about it, was charging 4 battery a day. My personal suggestion is to get a simple all mechanical Mod, such as the GGTB (which will be in stock w/in a week, but sell out very fast) NEW GG Telescopic Battery electronic cigarette I know that this pv will last a lifetime and use SLB atty from 1.5-3.0 ohm (lower ohm will be hotter/more vapor/burn juice faster) along w/ a 17650 Li-ion bat and I'm sure you will be very happy. If for some reason you didn't like it, I know you can sell it for what you paid very quickly(there is a good demand for them) and keep your 510 as a backup.

This is just my opinion though, Brad ;-)

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
Maybe try cartomizers? I have bad luck with atomizers, too. Mine usually die or seriously lose performance within a week but for the past 2 weeks, I have switched to cartomizers and I'm loving them and I don't know if I could go back to regular atomizers. I couldn't say why you're losing batteries so quick, though.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Are you ordering from the same company all the time, or have you varied in companies?

Alicia, this would be my first question too. Cheapest doesn't always mean least expensive. It sounds like either your batteries are putting out too much voltage, or your attys are LR or a combination of both. Or perhaps inferior products.

Being the vaping vet that you are, you probably know that there is a certain way to align the tips with the atomizer to keep the plastic from melting. Right? At least on the 510s. I don't know about the other models.

Yes, I think you should probably start with a whole new set-up. Cignot and Litecigusa sell the genuine joye products and have very good customer service. Their attys run about 8 bucks a piece. Litecigusa has $2.00 shipping, so its still gonna be about $27 for 3 attys. Avoid using LR attys for now.

You might also look into the Joye Ego kit which is a 510 with larger batteries that will last 6-8 hours between charges.

I hope you can get this problem solved. I feel your frustration. My attys last for a couple of months, so replacing them every 3 days seems a bit excessive. In fact, I am still using 2 of the originals that came with my Ego kit in July.

What wears out quickest for me is the factory installed filler in the cartridge tips. I have gone to the blue foam mod and can get 2 weeks of use before changing out the foam.

Good luck and happy vaping.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Get an eGo or Tornado battery, 1000mAh, plus a charger adapter (it's a small screw fitting) - this will fit all your 510 stuff. Your charger and atties (and therefore carts) will fit. The battery lasts for 6 hours or more.

Sounds to me like you refill your carts by dripping onto the filler, as you state:
I should also add, with the tips, it's not the flavor, it's the filling and the plastic melting on the tips that make them unusable. The filling within 3 hits disappears into the tip so it will not touch the atty. Then the tips melt and warp. This when I am refilling the darn things every 3 hits or so. FRUSTRATING!

This tells me that you are are going about some things the wrong way, even though you have been at it a while:
1. You need a cart mod (the 'tips' are the cart or cartridge). The stock filler is not much use. Blue foam is good but there are a zillion different mods, everyone has their favorite. I use RYO cig filters prepared in a certain way and I never, ever get melted carts, melted filler, dry hits, or burned out atties. Try the Cart Mods subforum of Tips and Tricks.

2. You have to pull out the filler to refill a cart, the only other way is to use a syringe, which few people do except for cartos (cartomizers) where sometimes you have to, if the condom refill method doesn't work. Pull the stuff out with tweezers or a straightened-out paperclip (that's what I use), fill to 3mm / 1/8th inch from the top, replace the filler so it stands out 1mm / 1/16th inch from the cart, put one drip on top of the filler, push cart back on. If you keep the cart well-loaded they don't melt and atties don't burn out. Refilled like this you get two, maybe three cigarettes' worth out of a 510 cart.

3. My atomizers last for months and months. The key is to KEEP THEM WET, and have about 3 or 4 you use in rotation. Don't use the same atty all day, and they will last longer.

4. You really need a mentor to show you all the tips and tweaks, but as that usually isn't possible since we are an endangered species right now, the best thing I can suggest is that you try to find some videos with things like cart filling guides and so on. Maybe someone can suggest some links.

5. A 510 cart is the equivalent of 2 to 4 cigarettes, it can't possibly be any more than that as it only holds 0.6ml liquid when full right up, and some of that can't be used as it stays in the filler. Don't expect too much from a 510 cart as they are tiny - just keep refilling it, is all. Or get the mega carts (which need the mega atties), these fit the eGo / Tornado batteries. The filler type, and how you refill it, is the key. You'll always get two full cigarettes' worth out of a 510 cart and if you don't, the issue is with your methods not the hardware. Can't be any other way.

6. Like many people I keep 4 or 5 atties and carts together, for different flavors, and rotate them through the day. Most days I use 3 or maybe 4 of those sets, in rotation. The atty stays with the cart, for example loaded with mint tobacco or coconut mint flavor or whatever. The atties last forever, I just blew my first in months.

7. Get a whole bunch of 5ml or 10ml sampler size refill liquids. Try out different types including all-VG and various flavors. You need enough liquid that you are not afraid to pour it into those carts...

Hope this has been of help. There might be some vids out there that can help you, maybe someone can link to them. Cart refilling seems an issue. The eGo and Tornado are basically the same thing and are bigger, more efficient models based on the 510 system. Essentially they're just batteries anyway, as the 510 atties/carts fit them. I'd look at this model maybe - and in any case all you need is the batt (plus the little charger adapter widget) as you have the rest. If you like it you'll need 3 batts +.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I'm no supr expert but just from reading your post i'd say it wouldn't matter what "kit", model, or atty you use, your gonna burn them up!!:evil::laugh:

Your vapeing to hard, to quick and not giving anything a chance to cool down. I can pretty much burn up any atty, (almost) out there if I try. But you sound as if your doing it naturally. Take 2 or 3 hits and then rest at least 30 seconds to a minute and then do it again. This should take care of the problem unless of course your taking 20-30 second hits. Try 5 to 10 seconds for each a while. 10 seconds IMO is to long. Attys are only made to get so hot and they will burn out.

Try this method a day or 2 and see if things don't smooth out for you.

Good luck, I think you'll be surprised:)

908Tracy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
NJ
Oh man, I feel for you! I just wanted to add that I give you a ton of credit for hanging in there as long as you have with all of that crap happening. I can tell you that if that were happening to me, I probably would have ditched the effort a long time ago. That would have seriously stressed me out!

Kudos to you for reaching out to figure out the problem. =) I would suggest a brand new type of pv, along with the above suggestions of rest periods in between hits.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Something is wrong in your setup, or your not keeping your atty wet...but you should notice the burnt taste if you do that well before it burns out..unless your constantly vaping the burnt taste...and even that doesn't explain your melting plastic. I am still using my magma 510 atty I got last November on the 1st and that is normal for me, 1 a month I could deal with one a week would drive me crazy.

Last edited:

Alicia

Dec 3, 2010
michigan
Thanks for the tips everyone!
I guess I shoulda made it clearer that everything worked great for the first few months but sometime in the late summer is when the "crap hit the fan" and everything started failing. I use one supplier, maybe he got a bad batch?
Strangly enough last week I saw the 7-11 by me with an Ego sign in the window, perhaps I will go buy and try one of those (If indeed it is the same as whats offered online).'
Nowadays I HAVE to hit them for 10-20 seconds otherwise there is no vapor and very little flavor. Edit: I timed it, LOL, a "long" hit for me is 4-5 seconds)
Here's hoping a new setup cures it!
Thanks again!
Alicia

Last edited:

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
There are also vendors with shipping of $0-3 for orders so that is an option to consider to help cut costs.

I think the last two posts have some pertinent tips that should help. I know lots of times things can seem so frustrating. When I started out, using the cartridges/ tips and trying to mod them and such was such a task, many times I found just dripping a few drops of juice into the end and letting it sit to settle for a few minutes worked the best.

Try out some of what the veterans mentioned and let us know the results.

Alicia

Dec 3, 2010
michigan
Oh and when I'm done with a tip, I usually remove the filling and squeeze the juice into a new one once it's needed. Lately though, especially the new 3 boxes, when I pull the filling out it's much thinner and smaller, making me think less material has been used causing the shrinkage into the tip and then the melted plastic.
Maybe my supplier's supplier has been cutting corners to cut cost and hence a product which now SUCKS, lol

kj4lxw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2010
Pinellas, FL
Something I did was get a razor blade and cut off a few mm from the end of the cart that gets inserted into te atty so that no contact can be made from the atty parts and the plastic.

Many times I used to take out the filling from a cart and rinse it out then press it in a napkin or tissue to dry it out the reuse. I found that it was best to just use a new cart after doing this once or twice as it would get too "worn out" to be as effective as a new one.
Are you using tips that are pre-filled or do you put your own juice into them?

Do you ever try cleaning your attys? Sometimes running them under hot water from the tap can rinse them out then let them sit overnight to dry.

I'm also wondering about primer being on the atty as they are new, this will give a terrible taste.

Curious too, when you dripped how much juice did you put into the atty? I use 1-2 drops. Though you will be refilling often you should get several good hits from this method.

Just trying to think of alternatives that are a little easier rather then getting too technically involved to start out.

The Fool

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
St. Louis
Hi Alicia, I hear your pain! If I'd had your difficulties I'd have given up, so kudos for hanging in there. We are at the same place, I'll have 1 year on the 26th. I too go through atomizers at about 1 a week. I have since started getting a little more time by rotating and cleaning out with rubbing alcohol every few days. I used a 901 for the first 6 months then switched to a Riva. I like the Riva a lot! Not changing batteries every couple of hours. I would strongly suggest trying an eGo or a Riva and see if that improves your vaping experience. Good Luck!

OldDragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kansas
I'm going to suggest you get some of the newer ce2 r4's. You can get a pack of 5 for the about the same dollars as an atty and you get 5 in a pack. No carts or attys to mess with. I have an ego and a 510 pt that they work great on. I'm using the xl carto's, they hold a lot of juice so I don't mess around much with filling. About the only thing bad about them is using a needle to fill, you need a 20gage needle for the small filler holes-the 18 gage I got with one order is too big to work well with filling process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread