Alternative mouthpiece for Nautilus Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
Hi,

Recently I purchased a nautilus Mini, which performance-wise is brilliant, but I'm having one gripe with it, which is not so much down to the tank itself, more my personal taste:

I'm not liking the metal mouthpiece at all (never used one before) - I'm getting a bit of a metallic taste from it, and it's too cold.

I was going to purchase another mouthpiece for it, then I noticed some people say that alternative 510 mouthpieces fit too loose in it, is this true?

I found this pyrex one, which for me is ideal - it means that the only things in the pathway I have with be metal and pyrex, which should lead to a realy nice taste:

Pyrex Clear Glass 510 Drip Tip Vape Mechanical Mod Smooth Vape Quality Free P&P! | eBay

Will something like this fit, or will it be too loose?

Thanks.

catsitter

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2014
Massapequa Park, NY, USA
I tried Pyrex tips in my mini nautilus, and they were very loose. You could try replacing the O ring with a slightly larger one, or adding a second one. I ended up with plastic tips from a local vape shop, and they fit just fine.

ETA: Be careful with the Pyrex tips - My house is on the old side and therefore is not perfectly level, so things tend to roll and fall down - and the Pyrex tips easily snap off right at the collar. They're beautiful, the vape is great, but they are delicate!

Last edited:

Brend

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2013
USA
It's not a safety thing, other than the safety of your glass tip & it getting broken.

I've tried metal, plastic & glass.
Metal was too cold.
Plastic I worried about them reacting with some e-liguids in the same respect as any plastic parts in tanks do. I use plenty of
"Tank cracking" flavors so I avoid plastic. The liquid always gets up into the tips so if it can melt a plastic tank, I figure it will
start to deteriorate a plastic tip.

All of my tips are glass (8 glass tanks with 8 glass tips) from various venders. It doesn't sound right but I find the glass "soft or smooth"
on my lips and they're temperature changes to your lip temp really quickly.

Haven't tried ceramic. There are derilin tips for a more durable type plastic.

I tried one jade stone tip - the drilled hole is very narrow so draw is much to tight for my liking. Brrr-found the stone very cold.

Diameter of hole matters to the user.

Length - shorties, regular or longer.

I would buy & use the pyrex ones you linked to.

I have two of these tips linked below - dropped one in my porcelain kitchen sink & it was fine.

WeeviL Pyrex Paint Brush Stroked Glass Drip Tip - Number 1 [gv-WEEVILPyrexDripTip-No1] - $5.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Why are they loose then? Is it a safety thing?

Chinese manufacturing standards. When I had a collection of ProTank2s I noticed the openings for some of them were bigger or smaller. Some drip tips fit too tight, while others were loose. It wasn't my drip tips which were different sizes...

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
Chinese manufacturing standards. When I had a collection of ProTank2s I noticed the openings for some of them were bigger or smaller. Some drip tips fit too tight, while others were loose. It wasn't my drip tips which were different sizes...

Ah ok, so it all depends on the tank is what you're saying.

Ok, I'll shoot for the pyrex one then. It seems like if that one's wrong it means the nautilus is slightly too big, and they're all going to be wrong, so therefore modifications will be necessary on any of them.

Cheers for the replies, guys, I would definitely like a clear pyrex one, the most comfortable, and also would look good too on top of a Nautilus mini with black MPV 2, no? Heehe

Frankieboy

Sep 17, 2014
London
Just to report back - bit of a problem with the pyrex one delivery so they're sending me another one. In the meantime I picked a cheapo black plastic 510 compatible mouthpiece and it fits perfectly well, for the record. Enough to hold it by the mouthpiece and the tank and battery don't fall out.

So - don't know what's going on with some peoples Mini's being too big for the replacement mouthpieces - perhaps it was a design flaw that they've rectified?

Anyway - it has made the world of difference. Much more enjoyable now. I'm hoping the pyrex one will be another step up.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
One tip about tips -- if the "510 drip tip" is a bit loose, wrap a teeny bit of dental floss around where the o ring is on the tip. Or, one can install a new "fatter" o ring. Dental floss is easier. :laugh:

The pyrex one will be a nice change and look great, imho. I like the shape of the one you chose.

BTW, I never use metal tips. I save them and give to my local vape shop to hand out for flavor testers. However, I do have a supply of about every other material made for tips. I adore drip tips :), just not metal.:vapor:

Last edited:
Just to report back - bit of a problem with the pyrex one delivery so they're sending me another one. In the meantime I picked a cheapo black plastic 510 compatible mouthpiece and it fits perfectly well, for the record. Enough to hold it by the mouthpiece and the tank and battery don't fall out.

So - don't know what's going on with some peoples Mini's being too big for the replacement mouthpieces - perhaps it was a design flaw that they've rectified?

Anyway - it has made the world of difference. Much more enjoyable now. I'm hoping the pyrex one will be another step up.

Just about everything, with some exceptions, is made in China. As mentioned by a previous poster, it is a flaw in quality control. After reading your post I decided to check. I have the mini, as well as glass tips. The results, unresolved. I have two minis. The included metal tip is tight in one, but loose on the other. The glass tips fit snug on the tight one and loose on the loose one, as is logical and expected.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Just about everything, with some exceptions, is made in China. As mentioned by a previous poster, it is a flaw in quality control. After reading your post I decided to check. I have the mini, as well as glass tips. The results, unresolved. I have two minis. The included metal tip is tight in one, but loose on the other. The glass tips fit snug on the tight one and loose on the loose one, as is logical and expected.

There are quite a few American and European made drip tips- probably more so than mods...

javarivanhans

Jan 24, 2015
Houston, TX
You can put anyone of them on there. If it is loose there is a fix. When I had my loose tips on my Nautilus I fixed with a special tape. If you go to the hardware store there is a special metal tape AC installers use to wrap insulation ducts together or cover leaks like you find in the attic. This is a VERY thin tape you are looking for. The size and width of the roll of tape looks like a regular roll of duct tape, but the actual tape is paper thin when you pull it off and resembles thick aluminum foil with adhisive on one side.

Once you have the metal tape you carefully remove the o-ring from the drip tip and a cut small strip the size that will wrap around the surface of the tip that goes into the tank. Play with it as you need to make it fit perfectly. I had to cut 3 or 4 before I got the size right. There should be no extra at the ends and NO overlapping making it thicker. I used an exacto knife to trim. We are just trying to add some thickness to the tip so it is snug. If it overlaps and forms 2 layers at the ends it will not fit. Do NOT worry about making two strips to avoid the o-ring channel, make one strip and cover the oring channel for now. Once you get it on, press it flat all the way around with your fingernail so there are no airbubbles or unneccessary thickness as this will be tight now. finally, cut the tape that is covering the o-ring channel, going down the middle of the channel with the exacto blade and work the extra metal tap down into the channel with your finger nail. Once it is all pushed down into the walls of the channel install the o-ring. Leaving material in the channel will also fatten up the o-rings grip on your tank.

When you install now it will be tight. If you did everything right and used the right tape it will slide perfectly in. If it is a tad tight work it in but do not twist as it could mess up the tape, just slowly wiggle as you push. Sound familiar? lol Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread