Alternative MTL to the Nautilus 2 which are badly made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman5

Mar 17, 2014
UK
Hello,
im currently smoking again... because i can't find a good vape.
I recently bought the aspire nautlius 2.
The flavour and draw on it is incredible..... but ...
I had the issue on both tanks where you cannot remove the glass in order to change the coil. So much so that the glass breaks eventually, and even then can't be removed to be replaced with the replacement pyrex tube. So it's effectivley a disposable £22 tank...
It also flooded, lots of gargling for no apparent reason. (i filled it right)

So, what i loved in the nautilus 2 was: Flavour, Sub-ohm, Good tight draw
What i missed was: Temperature control mode. (this makes chain vaping without a burnt taste possible... and the nautilus 2 would start tasting bad after 3 hits in a row)
What i hated ... well - flooding, leaking and unable to de-assemble without breaking..

Can someone please recommend me an alternative, something as close as possible to the nautilus 2 - that isn't innately flawed..

Regards,
J

Reactions: stols001

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2018
East Coast, USA
I can't recommend the Vapefly Nicolas MTL tank enough! Great flavor tank at 3ml and 9 levels of air flow adjustment. No leaking, pull and plug drop-in coils, and you can choose 1.8ohm coils or .6ohm. I use this one exclusively now and LOVE it. I'm not sure why it isn't more popular.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Vapefly Nicolas
Vika Fantasy
Nautilus mini

I don't think they can do TC, but, for me, they're more usable than the N2. The Fantasy uses nautilus coils.

The Mini and Fantasy are bottom fill, but you can change coils easily in all 3.

The joyetech Exceed is good too.

If you like the tight draw of the N2, any of these can pull off the same trick.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Ijoy elf (it's like a nautilus and has proprietary coils but also, can accept Nautilus 2 coils) and fixes ALL the N2 problems. true topfill not a frustrating one, less metal but enough to protect the glass, more adjustable air and well, just all around better vape. I think it gets better flavor too, and it may be worth a look.

Also, if you are ready for a "one month car payment" type vape, well get a Kabuki it takes the nautilus coils and turns them into flavor machines. They're not cheap, but they do hold 3 ml, (bottom fill but it's an easy bottom fill) and its set and forget airflow that's very adjustable. I have two and regret NEITHER.

The Zenith is a great option solid, well built, great flavor 4 ml MTL tank, airflow also very adjustable and coils, while not cheap, get pretty superior coil life. I really love mine and the topfill system is just cool. Never had a moment's worry with mine. I have the Vapfly Nicolas tank and I liked it okay, but it is far from my favorite MTL tank, although it's also a perfectly DECENT MTL tank.

Of al the options in your situation and position as far as vaping, I would strongly recommend the Zenith I almost didn't buy one but I'm very happy I did, and would probably consider another at some point. Great flavor especially for a 4 ml tank.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It also flooded, lots of gargling for no apparent reason. (i filled it right)

What i hated ... well - flooding, leaking...
Generally speaking, flooding and leaking is almost always user error. Not trying to be arrogant, but funny how the Nautilus 2 is such a popular tank and its owners don't usually complain about it flooding or leaking. Maybe its you.

Flooding is a common occurrence in e-cigarettes. The definition of flooding is getting juice into the air passage of the tank. This can include any point between the mouth piece and the very bottom part that connects to the battery. Each tank has holes in that air passage, where the wicks passthrough. This is required for the device to work properly. Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility for flooding. The trick with flooding, is knowing how to avoid it. A few common causes for flooding a tank include: improper filling, over filling, pulling too hard when hitting the device, and the temperature can even play a role and/or damage.

Improper Filling: When filling your tank, you have to be careful not to get juice into the center tube of the tank. This center tube is the air passage. When you take a draw, air comes from the bottom of the tank, through the air passage and into your mouth. If you get juice into this passage way, your tank is flooded.

Over Filling: If you over fill a tank (specifically a top coil like the ones that come with the starter kits and gift boxes), the wicks can become over saturated and just like a rain cloud, they will leak into the air passage. Once this happens, you have a flooded tank.

Pulling Too Hard: Probably the most common culprit. As I mentioned the wicks absorb the juice in the tank. As you pull on the device, you cause a vacuum effect that pulls juice into the wicks. If you pull too hard, you can pull in more juice then the coil can vaporize. If this happens, the unvaporized juice leaks into the air passage and you have a flooded tank. Use a more gentle draw technique, especially with a MTL tank.

Temperature: E-Juice is a viscous liquid. Which means that as it warms up, it will thin out. And in the opposite form, it will thicken when it gets cold. When it thins, it is more difficult for the wicks to hold back the thin juice. This usually causes the wicks to over saturate and, you guessed it, it will leak into the air passage and you have a flooded tank.

Damage: There are o-rings and gaskets used that can wear out with usage. If certain ones fail or get lost, leaking will occur, in turn flooding the air passage and causing you to have a flooded tank. Other than accidentally losing something, damage can occur when its carried in a purse or a pocket or by over tightening the tank to the battery. Over tightening is a very common cause of leaking due to the damage it creates; tighten snuggly, not over tight. A small hairline crack in the glass will disrupt the pressure inside the tank and cause leaking/flooding.​

Why does my Tank Leak and what can I do about it? | E-Cigarette Forum

Why tanks leak! my contribution.

Another tank option, should you choose to try a different tank, would be the original Uwell Crown tank. Although classified as a sub-ohm tank, the manufacturer does also offer 1.2 ohm coils. Available coils are either stainless steel or nickle, so you can use TC. The air control ring can also be adjusted for MTL or DTL. In 3 years of use with these tanks, I've never flooded a coil. Had some minor leaking once after I left the tank in a hot car, but that's user error. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I have two Nautilus 2 tanks and they pretty much go unused now.
I have an IJoy Elf which uses the same coils as the Naut2 but it is so much less fiddly than the Naut2.
I have two Innokin Zeniths today and a 3rd on the way, the Zenith has become my favourite tank.
The Zenith is a 4ml tank, the coils last me a long time, when I do use flavours the flavours are good. Both filling the tank with juice and changing coils is so much easier and less messy than most tanks I have or have had.
I think the IJoy Elf has an edge on flavour, maybe? arguable? but it is only a 2ml tank, goes through coils faster than the Zenith and is a bit messy to change the coils. If the Elf was 4-5ml I would probably like it more. Im vaping on it right now, 0.7 naut2 coils, menthol.

FWIW, I havnt experienced the problems to the same extent other naut2 users report. The main problem I do have is the top is hard to get off and sometimes I have to use pliers.

Last edited:

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I can confirm that my Naut2 leaked like crazy, and I'm nearly 100% sure that it wasn't user error. I just decided to dump a whole tank one day through the airflow. I have a theory that it's dud coils that cause it, but I'm not positive. The gurgling is also constant, but there are workarounds for that.

I recommend just tossing it, as I did. Great drip tip though- so keep that! I use that drip tip now for my Zenith which makes a nice pairing to minimize the juice that works it's way up to smaller drip tips (the Zenith's only real flaw) I would suggest that as a nice transition.

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I had N2 problems as well. I finally learned how to handle it and it gave me no more issues.
Make sure the coil is properly seated. Most important do not over tighten the bell. That will squeeze the O ring and cause leaking. Firm but not overdo .
Better yet just get the Zenith. Same great flavor without all the art of having to deal with the N2. Vamping right now at 10.5, airflow open, super flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread