Alternative to Nautilus BVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skwij

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much for this! I could have sworn a reviewer hinted at that, but glad to read it here.

I'll sit this one out, I think.

Nah, for what it costs, I'd give it a go. The flavour is far better than any of the Nautis, which is a huge win win for me.

It's a great vape, from good, reasonably tight, MTL to *very* restricted DL.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I have recently purchased a Zenith with my other daily driver being a Nautilus 2. For coil life, ability to change coils without losing liquid, ace top filling system and overall build quality is excellent

I get on better with the 0.8 coil although I have just put a 0.5 plexus in which seems quite airy which I really like

However - for my vaping style which I guess is MTL but above average clouds (restricted DL maybe?) I find the Nautilus 2 gives superior taste on the liquids I have tried. The problem is it has the worst designed re-filling method I have tried in my experience. I do run the Nautilus 2 with all air holes open and use the 0.7 coil at around 20 w.

TLDR Zenith = better tank for ease of use. Nutilus 2 = much better flavour and better vapour production.

This is interesting because already that's what I'm thinking. Bought an N2 today out of interest, and although a big fan of the Zenith 0.8 coils I do find there's a couple of juices that don't agree with it as well as other tanks.

It's only been a few hours with the N2 and so it's early days but so far my conclusions are that it might handle dark sweet liquids a little better and that this tank is going to be hard to fill without needing a box of tissue nearby!

• Agree
Reactions: Jebbn

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
This is interesting because already that's what I'm thinking. Bought an N2 today out of interest, and although a big fan of the Zenith 0.8 coils I do find there's a couple of juices that don't agree with it as well as other tanks.

It's only been a few hours with the N2 and so it's early days but so far my conclusions are that it might handle dark sweet liquids a little better and that this tank is going to be hard to fill without needing a box of tissue nearby!

You do eventually get used to the N2 in terms of filling but it shouldn't be that much of a pain!! You may be on to something about sweet liquids though - most of my preferred fruity flavours tend to be sweet - peach tastes amazing through it whereas the Zenith the flavour is hugely muted.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
You do eventually get used to the N2 in terms of filling but it shouldn't be that much of a pain!! You may be on to something about sweet liquids though - most of my preferred fruity flavours tend to be sweet - peach tastes amazing through it whereas the Zenith the flavour is hugely muted.

I think the main problem was that because the tank was new it was very stiff. The first time I refilled it the glass unscrewed out the tank along with the cover and juice went everywhere, then I had trouble unscrewing it at all and the third time the coil came unscrewed when refilling, it got lodged in the top of the tank and so it flooded. I then messed up changing the coil for the first time and it shorted on my mod.

There's definitely been some teething problems with the first day! However, it seems OK now it's been dismantled, cleaned and had a fresh coil put in. Keeping notes comparing it to the Zenith so will probably post back with my opinions once I've broken it in and given it a fair chance! :D

Reactions: Jebbn

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Canada
Hi, everyone!

I got the Zenith tank, I like it, but having a hard time. With 1,6 ohm coil, they seem to last very little, then I started to get a burning sensation in throat after inhaling... I changed my juice from 70 PG/30 VG to 50/50 but issue seems to remain. I tried the recommended 10w - 13w or so, and my usual 7W...

I did also prime the coils.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
will post elsewhere on the forum, since its kind of a new issue.
I just won the Kroma/Zenith kit, so I went thru every page of this thread to figure out which coils I wanted. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/innokin-zenith-mtl-tank-phil-busardo.842167/page-46#post-21473399 You might find help there.

Seems .8 ohm was most popular & longest lasting, followed by 1.6. Some loved the plexus, but most said it didn't last as long, or got many duds of this one.

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Hi, everyone!

I got the Zenith tank, I like it, but having a hard time. With 1,6 ohm coil, they seem to last very little, then I started to get a burning sensation in throat after inhaling... I changed my juice from 70 PG/30 VG to 50/50 but issue seems to remain. I tried the recommended 10w - 13w or so, and my usual 7W...

I did also prime the coils.

Any tips?

Thanks.
Is your liquid very sweet? How many mls a day do you reckon you're using?

But that does seem pretty short, tbh.

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Canada
Hi, Batt

Thanks for reply. Do you know if/how I can delete this post (its a dupe)? This one: New to Zenith tank/coils, burning throat hit on new coils

I forgot I can do more excludable testing, since I have 2 tanks. I got the "bad atomizer" and put to the other Zenith tank I have with ry1 0mg and 3mg, no probs. So I went back to original tank, cleaned it up, put the "bad atomizer", but with Ry1 3 mg. Its fine.

I will test the Tribeca juice again soon.

Strange, something very specific perhaps with tank or the juice which was affecting everything.

Thanks!

robertboyl

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2012
Canada
Thanks for replies, friends.

Update: Ive been trying to nail the problem...

Funny thing this never happened with my old Nautilus BVC, same juices, etc...

Today it happened on my iStick S. I had already changed my 70 PG / 30 VG juice (with 6 mg nic), after issue, to 50 % VG / 50% PG and issue happened again.

I have 2 Innokin tanks, brand new. What happened on my tank with istick pico S is a burning sensation on my throat! I dont think its burned coils, no bad taste, nothing, just really, after I start taking a hit, of course, I feel it even more in the DTL hit, a really harsh burning on my throat.

The coil wasnt much used. 1.6 ohm and primed.

So I tried with 0 nic juice, same coil, on other tank. Same burning sensation.

Then I tried same juice I was originally vaping on other tank and other ecig (a normal Pico), same thing.

So it's the coil... Just strange this happened several times.

Ill keep an eye open. One thing I noticed, but wasnt so in this case, is sometimes I might have not closed the tank 100%, it was closed, the lid up top, but it could be mnore tightned, etc. and also attachment to base. So Im keeping an eye open.

Ill try to stick to more VG, like 50 VG, 50 PG or so also.

Thanks!

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
My opinion.

Nautilus BVC coils are on the market since six years ago and still sells like crazy, for a reason.

They have great flavor, spot-on airflow and can last long.

They are my favourite, I buy 4 packets per month on average, as they go in all my dropin tanks an now, in my pod, too.
Their only drawback, is when they overheat, and the wadding become clogged.

The overheating can be taken care with a tank caratherised by a massive base, and excellent coil-base thermal coupling, like a genuine Kabuki, where the coil last forever.

There is a good number of tanks which use the Nautilus BVC coil, the latest is the Nautilus 2s, which improve the Nautilus 2.

The N2 has good flavour and good heat sinking, but is prone to leak during refilling. The N2s has a fill port and doesn't require to be dismantled for refilling.

One of the best engineered Aspire tanks - using the BVC coils, is the Triton mini, of which I have a dozen.

The Triton mini has a e-liquid shutting valve, so you close the liquid flow when you refill, as there is no vacuum lock when you remove the top cap; or in other situations when air pressure decrease suddenly (airplane takeoff or storm approaching), which cause an eliquid leak in all other valve-less tanks.

The heatsinking of the Triton mini is just average, just like the original Nautilus; the N2 is much better for coil longevity, and the Kabuki is outright extraordinary.

You may want invest in a Kabuki (with an extra polycarbonate glass), which give the BVC coils a flavour that is superior, better than anything with dropin coils.

Otherwise, you can go the Innokin route, but you loose on the very wide cross-platform compatibility of the Aspire solution.

I have a number of pods, but I choose the Nautilus AIO simply because I use the same coils of my all other MTL dropin tanks.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have 2 Innokin tanks, brand new. What happened on my tank with istick pico S is a burning sensation on my throat! I dont think its burned coils, no bad taste, nothing, just really, after I start taking a hit, of course, I feel it even more in the DTL hit, a really harsh burning on my throat.

Are you using correct (manufacturer's recommended) wattage for those coils? When you use higher VG ejuices with lots of sweeteners at high wattages, they may start to scorch instead of vaporize. Check your wattage and check the viscosity of your eliquids; if they feel thick and sticky, add a drop or two of distilled water.

I got the "bad atomizer" and put to the other Zenith tank I have with ry1 0mg and 3mg, no probs. So I went back to original tank, cleaned it up, put the "bad atomizer", but with Ry1 3 mg. Its fine.

Bad atomizer has nothing to do with your eliquids. Check atomizer or some such warning means only that you are having connectivity issues--no electrical contact between your atomizer's pin and the battery. Or that your atomizer has a short, which is clearly not the case. Clean all your connections (the pin and the battery contacts) with a bit of Isopropyl alcohol and make sure that everything is put together correctly and touching.

Liquid is the Tribeca clone (ry4 double + AP), tried it at 50%/50% and same thing. Will try with Ry1.

If I may add my 2 cents... Tribeca and all RY eliquids (tobacco, caramel and vanilla) are usually very sweet and dark and excellent coil cloggers. If those your go-to eliquids, you'll have to change coils often, I'm afraid. NETs are just as bad if not worse.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Its a good setup, but Im wondering, is there something more modern and cost effective worth trying in terms of tank + atomizer, which gives a real good hit, more similar to analogs?

I don't know if it's more modern, but it works. And it's certainly very cost effective (the tanks can be had for 10-12 bucks). I'm talking about my favorite drop-in coil atomizers, the eGo One with CLR coils. The mega tanks hold 4 ml of eliquid and their CLR coils are designed to be rebuilt (R stands for rebuildable). But you don't have to rebuild them if that's not your thing. They come fully assembled and wicked with organic cotton, I like the 1Ω CLR coils, and can be opened, cleaned, rewicked, dry burned, and of course , rebuilt. If you're interested, here's more information:
eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread