Alternative To Volcano Inferno? Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mOJAVEpROVIDENCE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Rural America
hello, i have been a committed volcano customer since day one of vaping. i have been using the volcano inferno since it came out and was very pleased with it until now. a few days ago i was vaping my 650mah inferno pass-through with my low-res cisco atty attached, and when i released the button on the battery, IT KEPT BURNING, it then started smoking, and burned a hole through my derlin drip tip, and then everything stopped. they never worked again. the battery, the atomizer, the whole shebang. dead.

I also ordered some of volcano's mega cartomizers, none of those gave me solid vapor production and they tasted very strange.

I then ordered volcano's "clearomizers" and the first one out of the box did not fire. The one that followed that, died shortly after filling it twice. i did not bother to test the rest of them.

With that order also came two atomizers, i put one of them on yesterday, and now it is completely dead. nothing...

I am not new to vaping, I read the forums, talk to other vapors, and know about various mods and cleaning suggestions, i just have a hard time feeling positive about my recent volcano experience. Yes, their customer service is great, but if i cant depend on the product, including atomizers, cartomizers ect...

ANY SUGGESTIONS OF A PRODUCT/COMPANY THAT CAN DELIVER LIKE THE INFERNO? (BATT POWER, VAPOR PRODUCTION, THROAT HIT ETC...) OR PERHAPS EVEN MORE SO?

i appreciate your help, and a shout out to the volcano supporters out there as well, in the chat and on the forums, they really taught me everything i know about vaping!:oops:

NOIS29

Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Washington, DC
Well, The website and instructions say not to use the cisco atty with the pass through.

They mean don't use it with the Magma (5v) USB passthrough, you can use it on the 650mAh Inferno. Otherwise the only Volcano product you could use the cisco atty on would be the 1000mAh super battery.

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Volcano is referring to the regular 5v passthrough, not the Inferno passthrough that the Cisco atty should not be used with. A low resistance atty on a high voltage PV is a no-no!

I been using my Cisco 306 on my Inferno PT (the usb only keeps the battery charged - output is 3.2v +/-) and have never had a problem. But that doesn't mean that there WON'T ever be a problem. It's a calculated risk. I use it on the 1000mah batt also, but usually on the 650 pt batt. It's been about 3 months now.

I'm sorry your switch burned out and made such a mess, but that is why there is so much press here about not using LR attys on the eGo, or eGo style batts (which is what the Inferno is) because of the mosfet switch. The only thing you can do is chalk it up to experience and move forward. Good Luck to you.

Steve

emanguba

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Virginia
The Inferno is a rebranded eGo...any eGo will deliver and perform the same.

I have the Inferno and a bunch of eGo's...liberty-flights has them on sale now with 20% off...

Or the Riva (eGo type) is also on sale...

I use the Cisco lr306 on my Inferno to drip all the time and it's still running strong (about 6 months now).

Will Volcano send you a replacement?

I've also been vaping for about 6 months and so far almost everything I've used has been from Volcano. Started with the Magma and their pre-filled cartridges. Then I went to buying the liquid and reusing the old cartridges with the blue foam. I then went to the Inferno with the refillable cartomizers. Now I'm on to the clearomizers with my inferno and I'm not too happy with the clearomizers or the cartomizers. They're a pain to clean and the clearomizers are even more of a problem to clean. Some of the cartomizers give an ok TH and good vaper production and some don't! I have no idea why! The Inferno batteries work fine for me! I am looking for a good reliable refillable cartomizer to use in place of Volcano's Clearos or Cartos. I have no idea if an improved product is even out there. I'm not one to do that much research because I have little time to spend doing so.

I also occasionally use the cisco atty with my Inferno 650 for dripping and I haven't had any problems yet. I just don't have the time to be dripping all the time!

I just want the best vaping experience possible, with the least amount of problems. Hopefully, at a reasonable price. I'd love some recommendations for the cartomizer problem though. I tried to buy some cartomizers from somewhere else and bought the wrong stuff. The cartomizers I purchased had the female connection as opposed male connection I need to use with the Inferno. I think I can buy what ever what would work for the Ego but I'v eonly heard that in this forum

emanguba

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2010
Virginia
Pete, I've tried almost all the cartomizers on the market and none will satisfy me.

That's when I started off with my first bottom feeder mod: Reo Mini

And I have OldGoat's bottom feeder mod and the new eGo Tank on the way.

So far, I love the bottom feeders (asthetically it might turn many away, but functionally it is consistent and delivers with low maintenance).

player30

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham AL
I own an Inferno and I'm pretty happy with it too. One of the reasons I got it was because they warranty it for a full year, thats at least 6 months more than competitors. I would contact them and let them know what happened, they should replace it for you at no cost.

I, too have been very pleased with the Inferno and the clearomizers from Volcano. My use has only been a couple of weeks. And my shipment came within two days. I don't have but one experience with them, but I have been pleased.

NOIS29

Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Washington, DC
Well... Add me to the list of those who experienced the same as the OP... exact same thing happened to me, although I pulled the cisco LR atty off the battery. Battery is toast, and Volcano is RMA'ing it for me. Thought I saved the LR atty, but I tested the resistance and its showing now a ridiculously low 0.8 ohms. I don't know if it was like that when I got it from Cisco, but it would definitely explain why the MOSFET would burn out.

Now I'm not sure if it already metered out at .8 and fried the MOSFET, or if the 1.5 ohms fried the MOSFET, and as it was continuous firing (and I scrambled to unscrew it) the fried battery somehow changed the LR atty to 0.8 ohms.

Lesson I learned from this:

1. Buy a multimeter
2. ALWAYS test resistance on new attys before use to ensure it is correct for your application, if they don't meter out right contact your supplier. That way you can return any faulty ones unused.
3. test used attys intermittently, I would probably test as part of your cleaning ritual (after cleaning)
4. have backup batteries or at least a 5v USB PT stashed away. Boy did I learn my lesson on this one. Thinking I was in the clear and I've "arrived" with an eGO style USB passthrough battery, I gave most of my l88b batteries and my 510 PT away to my brother. Luckily I still had 1 l88b battery and a PCC on hand. It has definitely cramped my style right now, waiting for it to charge over an hour for each 30min vape session. And the post office has just delivered 10 different juice flavors to me today lol. I ordered a new Inferno 650mah USB Passthrough battery that should arrive tomorrow, and when my other one is RMA'ed then I'll have two. :)

Shadow_Rhelm

Dec 29, 2010
San Angelo Texas
  • Deleted by UntamedRose
  • Reason: unregistared supplier

DesiG

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
Rochester NY
I have been using the clearomizer XL for almost a week on my inferno, and have been very happy with the results. The clearomizers give me excellent vapor production and good TH, and the flavor is similar to when I was direct dripping. I have had good luck with all of my volcano products, and customer service has been quick and responsive. I have the magma as well as the inferno- and started with the magma in august 2010. I would recommend this supplier with no hesitation, and will continue to use them as my hardware supplier.

Nickx786

Dec 27, 2010
Kansas
Shadow_Rhelm Volcano's CS is nothing like it used to be after Jan 1st they changed it now you have to wait a week for a box with a prepaid box to send you defected stuff back to them so they can test it Other then that yeah they are still really good i just wished they would go back to the old CS but Oh well

Vape on

Last edited:

mOJAVEpROVIDENCE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Rural America
Well... Add me to the list of those who experienced the same as the OP... exact same thing happened to me, although I pulled the cisco LR atty off the battery. Battery is toast, and Volcano is RMA'ing it for me. Thought I saved the LR atty, but I tested the resistance and its showing now a ridiculously low 0.8 ohms. I don't know if it was like that when I got it from Cisco, but it would definitely explain why the MOSFET would burn out.

Now I'm not sure if it already metered out at .8 and fried the MOSFET, or if the 1.5 ohms fried the MOSFET, and as it was continuous firing (and I scrambled to unscrew it) the fried battery somehow changed the LR atty to 0.8 ohms.

Lesson I learned from this:

1. Buy a multimeter
2. ALWAYS test resistance on new attys before use to ensure it is correct for your application, if they don't meter out right contact your supplier. That way you can return any faulty ones unused.
3. test used attys intermittently, I would probably test as part of your cleaning ritual (after cleaning)
4. have backup batteries or at least a 5v USB PT stashed away. Boy did I learn my lesson on this one. Thinking I was in the clear and I've "arrived" with an eGO style USB passthrough battery, I gave most of my l88b batteries and my 510 PT away to my brother. Luckily I still had 1 l88b battery and a PCC on hand. It has definitely cramped my style right now, waiting for it to charge over an hour for each 30min vape session. And the post office has just delivered 10 different juice flavors to me today lol. I ordered a new Inferno 650mah USB Passthrough battery that should arrive tomorrow, and when my other one is RMA'ed then I'll have two. :)

here is an update from volcano. when i talked to CS about my situation here, they had never heard of this problem before, so i was sent a box to ship the faulty parts in back and i did, because CS said they were experiencing fraudulent claims with defective parts, i don't exactly know how long ago that was, two weeks maybe? i called and left two messages yesterday, and i got one from them too, so maybe i will talk to them today.

and thanks for your concern shadow, you really do help a lot of people and i think your an awesome chick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread