Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So I’m headed to Nevada today and my brother told me that every time he hits the peak, 7k elevation, his tanks leak. Does any know if this is common and if so how to prevent it.
The problem is pressure change. Tanks are airtight. Maybe crack the seal to equalize the air pressure when you hit 6000 just to keep it at bay.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Yes, they leak with pressure change, more the assent than the descent. We have a 1,500'+ hill between us and the nearest town of any consequence, the elevation gain/loss is roughly 1.5 miles long. Flipping it upside down works for most people, doesn't work with my tank.

Fill the tank as full as you can get it before the assent, it's the air in the tank that causes the problem. Take some hits as you go to help alleviate the pressure. If it starts to gurgle, turn up the power a bit to burn off the excess juice. Remember to turn it down again when you're at altitude. BTW, this also works going the other way with a 7,000' elevation gain.

I assume you're driving. If you are flying, you need to put the tank with juice in it into your liquids bag. I dump the tank, fill it before landing and have no problems. Good luck and have fun! :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.......Does any know if this is common and if so how to prevent it.

Clearomizers and RTAs work because of a vacuum that develops inside the tank. As you vape, juice wicks from the tank to the coil(s), since the tank is airtight this loss of juice creates a weak vacuum inside the tank. This vacuum is all that prevents liquid (juice) from just free flowing through the juice channels and out the air holes. Atmospheric pressure changes with altitude, as you go higher up the pressure drops. If/when the ambient atmospheric pressure drops (like inside a commercial aircraft or high up in the mountains) the vacuum present in the tank loses its ability to prevent juice from escaping (leaking out) until enough has leaked out to reestablish a balance between tank vacuum and atmospheric pressure. A leak under those circumstances is quite common, its been discussed/mentioned in many threads over the years.

One way to prevent leaks is by turning the tank upside down. Doing so keeps the juice away from the juice channels so it can't leak out. "Vaping" when changing altitudes would also prevent this because as the atmospheric pressure changed so would the vacuum inside the tank. Unfortunately, airlines frown on people vaping inside the cabin during flight. :) Don't know if they still make them (I don't use RTAs or clearomizers) but a few years ago some tank attys had juice flow control rings. On one of those you might could just close off the juice channels and not worry about leakage or atty "position" during a flight. Might be handy for regular fliers but I don't really know, I've never owned/used one. Just a thought.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The lower your altitude the higher the atmospheric pressure. As you rise the pressure drops to well below the pressure in the tank, so it actually acts like a vacuum literally sucking the juice out through the wicks. The same can happen moving from your house to the outdoors if there is a large temp difference between your house and the outdoors. The reason for this is if the inside/outside temp difference is extreme, your AC/Heating system is going to be blowing constantly creating more pressure in your house than will exist outside. The opposite can hold true going down in altitude or from outdoors to indoors, causing dry hits. You can counter this several ways.

For gradual changes (such as changing altitudes while driving) where you have access to the vape just vaping on it can allow the air pressure to regulate inside the tank. If you aren't going to have access to the tank for a while then just empty it as others have suggested. For rapid changes such as going in or out of a building if you break the seal (open the juice fill port) for just a second then re-close it as soon as you cross the threshold can allow the tank to reset it's pressure. Depending on the tank just turning it upside down for a few seconds can also allow the pressure to equalize through the wicking, but then you may need to wait a few more seconds after turning it right side up to allow the wick to get saturated again.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
The lower your altitude the higher the atmospheric pressure. As you rise the pressure drops to well below the pressure in the tank, so it actually acts like a vacuum literally sucking the juice out through the wicks. The same can happen moving from your house to the outdoors if there is a large temp difference between your house and the outdoors. The reason for this is if the inside/outside temp difference is extreme, your AC/Heating system is going to be blowing constantly creating more pressure in your house than will exist outside. The opposite can hold true going down in altitude or from outdoors to indoors, causing dry hits. You can counter this several ways.

For gradual changes (such as changing altitudes while driving) where you have access to the vape just vaping on it can allow the air pressure to regulate inside the tank. If you aren't going to have access to the tank for a while then just empty it as others have suggested. For rapid changes such as going in or out of a building if you break the seal (open the juice fill port) for just a second then re-close it as soon as you cross the threshold can allow the tank to reset it's pressure. Depending on the tank just turning it upside down for a few seconds can also allow the pressure to equalize through the wicking, but then you may need to wait a few more seconds after turning it right side up to allow the wick to get saturated again.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to vape while driving cuz the kids are with me. I just bought the crown 1 primed it last night and let it sit overnight. I haven’t broke it in yet so I’m concerned it will screw up the new coil if I loose all the juice. I will try turning it upside down.

• Agree

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Easiest solution is to use a tank with a juice flow control. Close it and no leaking. Open it when you're at altitude and vape. I rely on that during long plane flights. It stays closed in my pocket and I open it in the lavatory to stealth vape. Haven't had a wet pocket yet (no I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law about smoking in a lavatory but it's vapor not smoke, and my fellow passengers are far better off that way that than my getting all cranky). As always YMMV.

Oh and the reason it leaks with changes in altitude is for the reason all the folks above already stated.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Unfortunately I don’t have access to vape while driving cuz the kids are with me. I just bought the crown 1 primed it last night and let it sit overnight. I haven’t broke it in yet so I’m concerned it will screw up the new coil if I loose all the juice. I will try turning it upside down.

Kitty, you can wait that long if you like but I do not prime my Crown 1 coils, I fill it and let it sit for 15 - 30 minutes, start vaping at a lower wattage and slowly turn it up until I hit my sweet spot. If you fill the tank almost to the top you notice the liquid level will drop within 15 minutes, all that liquid transferred to your coil/cotton and you should be good to go.

I hope you enjoy the crown.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Kitty, you can wait that long if you like but I do not prime my Crown 1 coils, I fill it and let it sit for 15 - 30 minutes, start vaping at a lower wattage and slowly turn it up until I hit my sweet spot. If you fill the tank almost to the top you notice the liquid level will drop within 15 minutes, all that liquid transferred to your coil/cotton and you should be good to go.

I hope you enjoy the crown.

I only waited so long because I filled it up and night then went to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread