The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Aluminum Danger Protank 3 Mini Coils?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Jfar, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle
    Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum. I've been vaping for 2 years.

Does anyone have any information on the vape = inhaling aluminum particle connection?

I assume they're talking about the heating elements. I've been using the Kangertech Protank Mini line so I emailed the company asking what materials are used on their heating elements. No reply....

I'm getting a little worried. Any info greatly appreciated.

2. InTheShade

InTheShade Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    What dangers are you specifically referring to jfar?

I've not seen any controversy regarding the use of aluminium in the Kanger heads. Do you have a link or can you share some information?

Are you talking about the risks associated with using Kanthal wire?

3. Signmaker

Signmaker Super Member

The heating element (coil) in KT heads is not aluminum, they use Kanthol. The housing surrounding the coil is aluminum. You have no danger of "inhaling aluminum particles", unless the coil goes full blown Chernobyl for some reason.

As far as the aluminum leeching into the ejuice and being vaporized, if the science carries over from the camping cookware world, you would have to seriously overheat the coil for an extended peroid of time for that to happen (>200f).

4. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle

I haven't heard any controversy regarding Kanger coil heads in particular. I just thought that if other coils have this aluminum issue, it's possible that Kagers'coils could have the same issues as well.

What was the problem with Kanthal wire?

5. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle
    Guy above, (IntheShade) is hinting at some issues with Kanthal.

From what you know, is it just the Kanthal wire that heats up in KT heads?
    I agree, that there's no way for the housing would do no harm even if it's made of aluminum. There's no way it would get as hot as the heating element.

6. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    I don't believe autherntic Kanger coils are Kanthol. Clean them and when you dry burn them sometimes they melt and pop. When I build Kanthol coils I can take out wicks dry burn them and they don't pop or even lose their shape. I would need a whole lot of proof to believe stock coils are Kanthol.

7. Sthur

Sthur Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2013
    Denver
    I think your referring to the rumors or confirms about the Atlantis tanks having different material besides SS.

I have use pt for years, but rebuild my own with cotton and kanthal.

The major study from dr F. is due soon.

8. InTheShade

Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    Which coils have this issue?

I am confused now, you stated in your thread title that there is a possible aluminum danger in protank coils, you tagged the thread aluminum, danger, cancer and protank and now you say you haven't heard of any particular danger.

I'm just trying to find out what specific issues you have heard about so we can give you specific answers, or at least we can discuss the relevant topic.

My mention of kanthal was simply because that is the one I have seen the most. As kanthal is an iron, chromium and aluminium alloy there was a lot of discussion about its use as a resistance wire and how overheating it may make it break down. Of course, we don't know the reality yet as there have been no studies done.

After researching just a bit, I found out Kanger use nichrome wire in their pre-made coils, not Kanthal. - Not sure about this...

9. fogging_katrider

fogging_katrider Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    There is no aluminum anywhere in kangertech heads.

10. Susan~S

Susan~S ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
  11. fogging_katrider

Oct 31, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    In our application, the kanthal wire never reaches high enough temperatures to cause any metal vapors to be released into the vaporized e-juice. Only a burnt dry coil with a dry wick on a dry tank could or would ever reach that kind of overheated condition and 99.9% of us humans would have stopped vaping it before that because of the very harsh foul taste it would be producing.

12. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle
    I've never heard of Dr. F's studies, but I'm keen about reading it when it's out.

13. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle

I wasn't really stating anything from my title. I was asking a question. Sorry if it was misleading to you. I haven't heard anything specifically to KT products, just the general news/rumor about the aluminum and since I use only KT heads, I wanted to know. I emailed KT, but they didn't reply so I came here.

Are there any known issues with nichrome wire?

14. Signmaker

Signmaker Super Member

Source? I thought it was regular old A1.

The chimneys are non-magnetic, which I'd guess is Al. Though maybe I'm nuts.

15. InTheShade

Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    I am happy to use kanthal. I included that part of my post because the OP was asking why I mentioned kanthal wire in my response to his original post - not because I was stating an opinion either way.

Still, the fact remains that there is a large part of vaping that is unknown as we are using equipment borrowed from other applications and industries. Nobody can possibly know for sure that something we are using is 100% safe or unsafe.

For now, all we can do is educate ourselves to the best extent possible, and make our own choices.

jfar - No apology necessary, sorry if I came across that one was necessary. I was genuinely confused and just wanted clarification about exactly what you were asking. It's all good.

Dr. Farsalinos has put all of his studies and commentaries in one place. They can be found

Home <----- right there.

It's an excellent resource. I also highly recommend taking a look at a quick interview he did with P Busardo. Starts around 7:50 into it.

16. InTheShade

Apr 26, 2013
    South Texas
    I'm going to edit my post, I am not sure now as I've seen conflicting reports. Many are saying kanthal and equally, many say nichrome. I can't find anything from Kanger directly.

If anyone else has a reliable source for what the wire is in Kanger coils I'd be interested to see it. Not for any particular reason, I just hate not knowing now...

17. fogging_katrider

Oct 31, 2013
    Tennessee USA
    That would be stainless steel, not aluminum

18. underwhelmd

underwhelmd Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2014
    Canada
    yeah wow. seems like the real danger is misinformation being deliberately spread around. wow...cancer. nice one.

19. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle
    I think the real danger is people not having reading comprehension skills or perhaps too lazy to read this short 2 page thread.

20. Jfar

Jfar Moved On

Aug 16, 2013
    Seattle

Thank you for sharing these resources! I'll post here if Kangertech ever replies to my emails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.