Aluminum vs Copper Tube Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexxar31

Jan 10, 2017
I own a subzero shorty by SOI clone which is made of copper and a Panzer G2 BlackHawk by MCV Philippines made of T6 alloy. I think the subzero copper hits harder than the panzer. How is the conductivity of alloy vs copper? Will it contribute on the actual voltage drop? Or am I just overestimating the Panzer because of its price tag? Any help would be so much appreciated.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Although copper is a more efficient conductor compared to aluminium (take a look here Electrical Conductivity of Materials - Blue Sea Systems) I would imagine that it's the switch design which is making the difference. The good thing about the design of the SOI switch (and the Broadside) is that both the positive and negative connections to the battery do not move and are in constant contact. This leads to little to no arching and no need to mash the battery to make a good connection.

On a different note, the cost of gear means nothing in the vaping world.

Reactions: Verb and MMW

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I find a big difference between my copper and aluminum mods. Aluminum just doesn't hit as hard, but the biggest difference is how hot it gets at low resistance. Anything below about .3 ohms makes my aluminum tubes get hotter than I am comfortable with. Above that, they work fine. Maybe that isn't true for higher end mods, but on my inexpensive tugboat and anarchist aluminum tubes, it's very noticeable

rexxar31

Jan 10, 2017
Although copper is a more efficient conductor compared to aluminium (take a look here Electrical Conductivity of Materials - Blue Sea Systems) I would imagine that it's the switch design which is making the difference. The good thing about the design of the SOI switch (and the Broadside) is that both the positive and negative connections to the battery do not move and are in constant contact. This leads to little to no arching and no need to mash the battery to make a good connection.

On a different note, the cost of gear means nothing in the vaping world.

Thank you for your input. Now I know why my Panzer hits slower (as I've noticed) than my SOI mod. I thought that the aluminum construction makes the electricity travels slower from positive to negative. So the arching is the culprit here. Thanks for a very intuitive output.

rexxar31

Jan 10, 2017
I find a big difference between my copper and aluminum mods. Aluminum just doesn't hit as hard, but the biggest difference is how hot it gets at low resistance. Anything below about .3 ohms makes my aluminum tubes get hotter than I am comfortable with. Above that, they work fine. Maybe that isn't true for higher end mods, but on my inexpensive tugboat and anarchist aluminum tubes, it's very noticeable

On both of your mods, which hits harder? I think aluminum dissipates heat much faster thus it accumulates more. I have a .14 build and it gets hot when I chain vape but not when I just occasionally vapes. :)

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
Honestly I hardly ever use the aluminum ones anymore, they just don't perform the way I want, with the builds I like, around .12-.2 ohms. I do use them sometimes with a higher build in a mtl type of rda, like the hadaly. 90% of the the time, when I'm using a tube, it's either a copper one or my phantom brass stingray, which is my favorite tube mod by far. The Klone by Asmodus is my second favorite...I don't have any 24 mm tubes, though, and they seem to be the thing now; all mine are 22.

rexxar31

Jan 10, 2017
Honestly I hardly ever use the aluminum ones anymore, they just don't perform the way I want, with the builds I like, around .12-.2 ohms. I do use them sometimes with a higher build in a mtl type of rda, like the hadaly. 90% of the the time, when I'm using a tube, it's either a copper one or my phantom brass stingray, which is my favorite tube mod by far. The Klone by Asmodus is my second favorite...I don't have any 24 mm tubes, though, and they seem to be the thing now; all mine are 22.
Too sad to hear that. I think I'm wrong getting this aluminum type mod. But anyways thanks for all your inputs. It is clear to me why I feel short when using these aluminum tubes. :thumb:

Reactions: stormjib

Kodene_211

Nov 4, 2016
Just a thought but the contact on the SOI has the clutch system with silver plated contacts which I believe is part of the reason it hits so well. I am not saying that the copper has nothing to do with it but I think that on this particular mod it makes quite a difference. I have 2 copper LOS CONSVR mods and they do hit harder then my aluminum mods (eg. Limitless, Perti lite V2, And Rig V3). Personally I like the substantial feel of copper mods as opposed to the lighter aluminum mods. Please let me know what you guys think.
:evil:

rexxar31

Jan 10, 2017
Just a thought but the contact on the SOI has the clutch system with silver plated contacts which I believe is part of the reason it hits so well. I am not saying that the copper has nothing to do with it but I think that on this particular mod it makes quite a difference. I have 2 copper LOS CONSVR mods and they do hit harder then my aluminum mods (eg. Limitless, Perti lite V2, And Rig V3). Personally I like the substantial feel of copper mods as opposed to the lighter aluminum mods. Please let me know what you guys think.
:evil:
I agree with you brother. I also like the feel when using the heavier copper mod. It seems to me that they are well built and such while my aluminum panzer feels cheap and light.

Spygoat Vapes

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2017
Long Island NY
www.youtube.com
I have a few aluminum AV mods (slow twist gyre and a flattered Able) and some copper mods (AV Timekeeper and a Sub Ohm Innovations Sub Zero Comp). The aluminum mods do not seem to hit as hard as the copper mods. That being said, the aluminum mods are a lot less maintenance intensive. Could be because I am obsessive neat freak with my mechs.

Reactions: rexxar31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread