Am I a Victim of BOGEGATE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I posted this in my new member thread but am looking to get some more eyes on it.

I recently ordered and received a satin black ProVari V2 and a blemished ProVari V2. I've got a couple Phiniac tanks I'm using with the standard and XL Boge's in single coil 3 ohm. I'm thinking I might have been struck by BOGEGATE. :blink:

First standard length Boge for the regular Phiniac with delrin caps on the satin black... Nothing. No fire. Check the V2 diagnostics - voltage is fine but the atomizer check shows failure. Punch a new one and maneuver it into the full tank and it's now firing.

First XL Boge on the Phiniac XL V2 with SS caps on the chrome V2 fires as well. Diagnostics show no issues on either voltage output or atomizer.

I've got good sized holes punched with the Siam carto punch on both of them and let the juices soak for a bit. Both have a very metalliccy and burnt taste. I'm not sure if that will go away or not. I'm using the incredibly strong tasting Arctic Wolf from VaporGod and am not getting much flavor at any of the voltages I've tried which is a testament to how strong tasting that burnt metallic taste is. I know it's technically working because I'm extremely nic'd up right now.

I watched a few more videos on Cartos and tanks and saw a lot of people filled the Cartos via the condom method, then punched the hole or holes, and then put in the tanks and filled. I tried that on a fresh carto but have pretty much the same result with the severely burnt taste at any voltage. Also, on both ProVari's and every carto I've tried at any voltage, I get a reasonably loud pop/crack as soon as I hit the button. Very disappointing. I can only come to the conclusion that these are the infamous BOGEGATE Boge Cartos.

If anyone has any further tips please let me know, I'd love to have the great taste to go along with all this nic I'm taking in trying to figure this out. :glare:

Stefanozz

Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
East Texas
The first option is that your carto wasn't allowed to sit long enough to get the wick wet, so when you tried to use it, you instead burned the inside filler material. This burnt taste does not go away even after the carto begins to vape your juice. You didnt mention how long you waited from fill time to vape time, so its a shot in the dark.

15 minutes seems to be a good minimum time IMO to wait before trying to use a new carto freshly filled.

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The first option is that your carto wasn't allowed to sit long enough to get the wick wet, so when you tried to use it, you instead burned the inside filler material. This burnt taste does not go away even after the carto begins to vape your juice. You didnt mention how long you waited from fill time to vape time, so its a shot in the dark.

15 minutes seems to be a good minimum time IMO to wait before trying to use a new carto freshly filled.

The first carto in the XL V2 tank (the one that fired right off the bat) was filled like 3 days before I even received the batteries to fire up the ProVari. I did NOT do the condom method with that one however. I filled the tank and then dripped a few drops on the top of the cotton wicking material and then it sat a few days and I'd pick it up here and there and turn it upside down and on it's side to let it soak.

The other one (standard length Boge in reg size Phiniac) was bad right off the bat and verified on the ProVari. The 2nd one I did the condom method, filling it twice. I blew it out, cleaned the connections and put it in the tank. I filled the tank, waited only a few minutes (thinking it would have been saturated from the fill method) and then fired it up. On this particular carto I punched two holes. One low and one higher, 180 degrees from the first as I've read others have done.

Same very burnt and metallic taste regardless of what I have done so far.

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The juice is Arctic Wolf by VaporGod. Basically a very strong pure menthol taste, I've used it in another device on an atty/cart with a great, desirable flavor. I've vaped it at the same voltage as that device on the ProVari and still get the burnt taste.

I'm not sure how I could saturate the filler any more than what I did on the last standard length Boge. Any suggestions?

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
What's the consistency of your juice? I personally use somewhere around a 70% PG and 30% VG mix.
I use the Boge 3.0 ohm carto with one punched hole at around 5 volts (the 5 volts varies depending on the juice for me)
Like Stefan above said, once a carto is burnt it's no good. You'll never get the burnt taste out.

Here is how I set up for my tanks.

1) I punch one hole in a Boge carto using something like the carto punch that Phiniac offers.
2) Using a syringe and needle filled with my juice, I insert the needle between the inside of the metal carto and the filler. I put the needle all the way down as far as it will go, and put alittle juice in. Then I move the syringe to another location and put some more juice in. I do this in about 3 different places, until I see juice coming to the top of the filler material. (I like to fill this way because by filling from the bottom up, I ensure the carto is completely filled) Once the carto looks slushy on top, I'm done, and blow out any excess onto a papertowel.
3) I place the carto about halfway into the tank, and again using the needle, fill the tank with juice.
4) I finish putting the carto into the tank, so that the bottom end of the carto is flush with the bottom end of the delrin cap.
5) I put it on my ProV and vape.

As you vape, you should start to notice little bubbles coming out of the carto on occassion. This is a good sign that all is well, and is normal. You WANT this.
If you are using a thicker juice than what I use, you might need to punch a second hole in the carto. Some people have had better success with two holes.

Edited to add: Of course you know to NOT put the little white cap back on the carto.

Hope this helps you!

Last edited:

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
What's the consistency of your juice? I personally use somewhere around a 70% PG and 30% VG mix.
I use the Boge 3.0 ohm carto with one punched hole at around 5 volts (the 5 volts varies depending on the juice for me)
Like Stefan above said, once a carto is burnt it's no good. You'll never get the burnt taste out.

Here is how I set up for my tanks.

1) I punch one hole in a Boge carto using something like the carto punch that Phiniac offers.
2) Using a syringe and needle filled with my juice, I insert the needle between the inside of the metal carto and the filler. I put the needle all the way down as far as it will go, and put alittle juice in. Then I move the syringe to another location and put some more juice in. I do this in about 3 different places, until I see juice coming to the top of the filler material. (I like to fill this way because by filling from the bottom up, I ensure the carto is completely filled) Once the carto looks slushy on top, I'm done, and blow out any excess onto a papertowel.
3) I place the carto about halfway into the tank, and again using the needle, fill the tank with juice.
4) I finish putting the carto into the tank, so that the bottom end of the carto is flush with the bottom end of the delrin cap.
5) I put it on my ProV and vape.

As you vape, you should start to notice little bubbles coming out of the carto on occassion. This is a good sign that all is well, and is normal. You WANT this.
If you are using a thicker juice than what I use, you might need to punch a second hole in the carto. Some people have had better success with two holes.

Edited to add: Of course you know to NOT put the little white cap back on the carto.

Hope this helps you!

I am using 80PG/20VG mix. Relatively thin.

This is good info, my only question is where did you order the syringe?

Stefanozz

Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
East Texas
I read your new user posts and saw you basically just got all of this stuff in. Tried dropping all the tank tech stuff and trying to fill and use a carto by itself?

I would try a new carto without any tank addons.
1. remove rubber mouth cap.
2. drip 1 drop down the battery hole first. (yes the side with the threads)
3. then flip it and hold at an angle. drop about 8 drops onto the filler material from the mouthpiece side. avoid the air tube.
4. twist it in your hand and drop about 8 more drops on the dry part of the filler.
5. now drop 1-2 drops and twist slowly, making sure to not overfill. It should look like a slushy but not with liquid floating above the filler.
6. replace the mouthcap, blow through the carto into a napkin.
7. wipe off any liquid on the carto and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. (roll occasionally , set standing up threads down occasionally)
8. screw the carto straight in and vape. start with a short 1-2 second pull a few times, if it has a burnt taste, stop and let it set longer.

Sorry if I dummy'd this down too much, but just wanted to be clear that it was set up correctly. If you know all this, forgive my explanation.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I say its the POS Boge Carto syndrome :) the phenomenon has been going on for some time now,, so glad I dont use filler type cartos anymore, just cant stand that filler taste even if its a good carto.

I dunno about that. I'm using the pre-punched cartos from CCV. I like how they have the ridge on the bottom to hold the tank. I've only used 2 out of the 15 I've ordered (1 for my mint and the other for the Jamaican 10 speed I've been rotating), and they work great. I prefer the more consistent hit from a carto compared to the wicking issues you get in a clearo.

**edit** but I think they're smoktech cartos (don't quote me on that), so that could be the difference

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I read your new user posts and saw you basically just got all of this stuff in. Tried dropping all the tank tech stuff and trying to fill and use a carto by itself?

I would try a new carto without any tank addons.
1. remove rubber mouth cap.
2. drip 1 drop down the battery hole first. (yes the side with the threads)
3. then flip it and hold at an angle. drop about 8 drops onto the filler material from the mouthpiece side. avoid the air tube.
4. twist it in your hand and drop about 8 more drops on the dry part of the filler.
5. now drop 1-2 drops and twist slowly, making sure to not overfill. It should look like a slushy but not with liquid floating above the filler.
6. replace the mouthcap, blow through the carto into a napkin.
7. wipe off any liquid on the carto and let it sit for at least 15 minutes. (roll occasionally , set standing up threads down occasionally)
8. screw the carto straight in and vape. start with a short 1-2 second pull a few times, if it has a burnt taste, stop and let it set longer.

Sorry if I dummy'd this down too much, but just wanted to be clear that it was set up correctly. If you know all this, forgive my explanation.

More good info, I don't have a syringe so I can try this as soon as tonight.

Richkellett888

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
Santa Fe Springs, Ca
Once your carto is wet and installed in the tank, take a few dry hits (not pressing the fire button) 4 or 5 good pulls should do it.(a couple more for safety if you wish) you should see some bubbles coming out of the punch hole. this will help suck some liquid into the carto to make sure your saturated...

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Once your carto is wet and installed in the tank, take a few dry hits (not pressing the fire button) 4 or 5 good pulls should do it.(a couple more for safety if you wish) you should see some bubbles coming out of the punch hole. this will help suck some liquid into the carto to make sure your saturated...

I did do that and did see a few bubbles but not many.

Done Deal DR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Little update... I took out a new XL Boge when I got home and took my time filling it to the top. I blew out any excess that got in the middle and let it sit 20 minutes. I rolled it around a bit and then stuck it on my chrome V2 with no tank. Gave it a half dozen or so primer pulls and put it down to 3.3 volts. Checked the carto and it was showing a perfect 3.0 ohms. Fired it up and while the flavor HAS improved, it's still has a noticeable burnt. I couldn't have filled it anymore before firing the first time. There is however much less of a metallic taste.

I went ahead and punched it with a single hole near the base of the tank and put it in my Phiniac XL V2 and gave it some more primer pulls. At this point at least the flavor isn't absolutely revolting though I'd still say its not as good as flavor as it should be. I'll try to find a syringe online and try that method as well, but with as long as I was dripping into it, making sure it was completely full I don't think there is going to be room for any improvement. Maybe just breaking up the filler a bit with the syringe will help, I'm not sure.

I still think they are substandard Boge's but I won't know until I need to order more. I can live with it for now and just keep working on improving my methods. I've also read some people saying that this taste could go away after a bit of use so we'll see.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
There is also significantly less popping and cracking sounds upon firing. It is now basically working like I thought it would, sans flavor though I place that blame on the carto. Thanks everyone for all of the help, and if you have any other suggestions I'd certainly be willing to try them. :thumbs:

Actually the popping and crackling is a good thing. That's how you know when a boge is running low and is about to be burnt, is when it stops making that noise.

The best way to fill a carto, is fill it slowly until there is a slight puddling on top of the filler. I then like to flip it over, and put the filler tip right up against the airhole on the bottom, and give it a slow filling up too. Usually over a paper towel, and when it drips onto it, it's full. This will make sure you have liquid down by where the coils are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread