Am I experiencing effects of PG allergy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
I have been vaping for three weeks now. I threw my cigarettes away the day I started and have not gone back. I have been experiencing a small phlegm buildup at the top of my throat that is very irritating because I can never seem to hack it up! It goes away when I sleep. I am currently trying a 50/50 mix but it seems my problem still exists. Years ago, I quit smoking cigarettes and experienced a similar problem (maybe even the same problem, I can't be sure). Suggestions?

Also, I would like to try some 100% VG juice, but I don't want to go around wasting my money on crap before I find some good stuff. So where might I find "the good stuff"?

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
What you are explaining sounds like typical symptoms for someone that stops smoking.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

Here's a discussion regarding PG allergies on Web MD, and you can get tested for that. Less than 10% of people have a PG/VG allergy but it can happen.
"Propylene glycol allergy": Allergies Community - Support Group

I personally can't vape high VG, the stuff is very thick and gives me a very heavy feeling in my chest, but some people experiment with different ratios of PG/VG.

Sometimes it's just your body adapting. Drink lots of water, and I used throat lozenges.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
lol halo has good liquid most sites have reviews on every flavor also most sites have 100% pg and vg so either way if its the common allergy to pg then your good or if you have the not so common allergy to vg then your still good so click those ads that your instincts tell you not to click

I am vaping the Halo Tii Juice as we speak! I love it! I woke up this morning, throat felt fine - no phlegm no crap - now, its back. Ahem... ahHemm.... mmmhhhHHHHmmm.... Aaaahhhheemmmmmm... (that's me now)

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I am vaping the Halo Tii Juice as we speak! I love it! I woke up this morning, throat felt fine - no phlegm no crap - now, its back. Ahem... ahHemm.... mmmhhhHHHHmmm.... Aaaahhhheemmmmmm... (that's me now)

I really think it's probably your lungs clearing out.

You could go to Walmart and get a bottle of VG in the pharmacy dept and try adding a couple drops to you liquid and see if that helps.

The bottle (or mine) says HUMCO Glycerin USP skin protectant. Or you could get some in the craft shop in the baking aisle.

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

I'm with Caridwen on this. Fun with phlegm is in the top five of things that happen when you quit. Your lungs try to rev the cleaning cilia back up and gunk goes everywhere. :)

For some high quality VG only stuff, try Johnson Creek. They're a bit pricey but they have some nice juices. I'm vaping their Domestic right now in fact. It and Tennessee Cured are my only surviving "tobacco like" juices.

But it may not be anything that can be addressed with a change in liquids. It may, in fact, be a good thing. Smoking paralyzes the cilia that clean out the lungs so stuff accumulates over time. When they get going again, they gotta lotta catching up to do. :)

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Like Caridwen said, it honestly sounds more like the lack of a stinkie... they DO have an analgesic effect on the windpipe/ sinuses, so that might very well be the cause of it. I am probably one of the Halo virgins on the boards, so I can't comment if its perhaps the juice.

Its common for people when they start vaping and stop smoking all together to equate "withdrawal signs" with that of something wrong because of the E-cigs. Still, not a bad idea to be informed, especially if you are among the pg/ vg sensitive. Since Caridwen already linked it, take a look. Good info!

Best of luck to you!!!

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
I have noticed just the opposite. Since I started vaping the phlegm is almost entirely gone. Sometimes it returns for just a little while. That is from foods/drinks. I cannot use any milk or milk like products without some phlegm. I agree with others, it is most likely your lungs doing their thing and making you better. I will grab a carbonated beverage if it gets to be annoying. It seems to clear it right up for me. I used to "clear my throat" constantly while smoking. Nice not to have that any longer!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I agree with the others...I have allergies in general, including skin reactions, and PG if I vape it in higher amounts or for too long makes my eczema flare up (on my face--not good!) and gives me general sinusitis. Like I can't breathe thru my nose without antihistamine, sudafed, and Afrin combined. Took me a while to figure it out, because since I was diagnosed with eczema 20 years ago, I would just be really frugal with what I put on my skin. Didn't pay much attention to PG specifically but now that I'm vaping, I realized I have nothing in my house that contains PG.

Last edited:

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Vape on!:toast:

(also, vaping a mentholated juice "might" help cut the crap a bit... doesn't have to be a 'baccy either... lotsa great mentholated fruits out there!)

Reminds me, I have a blueberry "ice" around here somewhere. Wonder if that would help with sinuses. :)

(Allergies. And we got actual rain the last few days. Everything is growing. Just... everything.)

barstoll

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
USA
I just stated vaping a few days ago. I'm not completely off cigarettes, but down to about five a day. I have one and a half packs left in the carton I bought a while ago. I will NOT buy any more. :)

I've also noticed a bit of phlegm at the top of my throat. I'm sure it's my lungs/body clearing out. I was really expecting a lot more phlegm in my chest to cough out, though. Maybe I'll get that once I'm completely off cigarettes. Heck the way I'm smoking them now, that could take longer than a week.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Reminds me, I have a blueberry "ice" around here somewhere. Wonder if that would help with sinuses. :)

(Allergies. And we got actual rain the last few days. Everything is growing. Just... everything.)

They say when it rains, allergies should be less because the water keeps the pollen count down. Not for people like me (and you?) who are also allergic to mold and house dust! Swear to God, who told my immune system that I'm the enemy??? LOL, just gotta learn to deal with it to lead a normal life...

(BTW, I don't recognize you without that gorgeous malamute avatar!)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
They say when it rains, allergies should be less because the water keeps the pollen count down. Not for people like me (and you?) who are also allergic to mold and house dust! Swear to God, who told my immune system that I'm the enemy??? LOL, just gotta learn to deal with it to lead a normal life...

Yep. Mold is my nemesis. Joy!

(BTW, I don't recognize you without that gorgeous malamute avatar!)

Heh, you're the second person to mention Boz missing. I just had to switch it for a while since the forum software named me an "Ultra Member". I can never resist a bad pun. :D

That's a photographer friend's dog. And one awesome picture she took of him. They live way up in Michigan. Boz is not exactly a Texas dog. Too thick a coat. Absolutely spectacular looking dog. I built her a website to show off her work over this way: TheSmilingWolf. There are some more Boz photos in there. I think one of my all time favorites of him is this one: http://www.thesmilingwolf.com/photos/originals/fb_329559193736047.jpg. Has such striking eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread