• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Am I the only "Drunk" here???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSV445

Oct 2, 2009
Middletown, NY
I was scrolling through the threads the other day and stumbled upon this group. To all who know Bill W., there need be no explanation. For all who don't, Bill W. was the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, a social support group to help in the support of persons struggling with alcohol addiction and also maintaining their sobriety. Alcoholics Anonymous has helped change the lives of countless persons in their recovery process and has performed "miracles" since its inception. I would hope to believe that this social group "Friends of Bill W." would not only be open to those who are currently part of, or have completed the 12 Step Program, but to all (like myself) who have admitted their weakness to alcohol or drugs, and have made the effort to change their lives.

I am starting this thread just as an introduction to all the members here who are proud of their sobriety. Because sobriety to an addict, is truly a miracle... Please join this group and drop in and say hello.

If you think that you may have a problem, I'm am sure that there are many who would be willing to help. There is nothing to be ashamed of with an addiction, as long as one is willing to address it. There 'is' life on the other side.

Hello to all. I want to start off by saying that I have not "officially " completed the "12 Step Program", but I have been sober for almost 21 years! I have been to many AA meetings but have not attended one in almost 19 years.

When I first started attending, I would sit and listen to the speakers tell their stories and look around the room. Many of the speakers and attendees (please forgive me for saying this, read on...) looked to me at the time, like lower class unkept individuals who told the same stories of losing their jobs, houses and familys. At 22yrs old, I always made sure my appearance was neat, my clothes were clean and pressed, my hair perfect and boots always shined, lol. Unfortunately, I thought that I might be "above" the others and started to second guess my return. Luckily I continued.

It wasn't until, maybe a month and a half, when one night while listening to a speaker that I realized that no matter how I looked, I had the same problem as every other person in that room. I was a drunk, a bum, an alcoholic... I was no better, in fact, I was worse than the others because I actually had the balls to judge when I should have been looking in the mirror to see where my life was heading.

When I finally admitted to myself, that it was "I" who had a problem and only "I" was the one who would be able to address it, my whole outlook turned a different direction. I continued to attend the meetings for about 2 years, rode my Harley to Vermont and toured the house of Bill W., but did not officially complete "the program".

What I have done, is stayed sober... 21yrs and not one drop of alcohol. My mind is true and my soul is clean. And I will continue this recovery process until the day that I die.

I would like to extend my apologies to those persons whom I had judged, so many years ago, and extend my heartfelt gratitude for helping me understand, realize and admit that I had a problem. Because the road to recovery did not start until we all finally admitted, without shame, that we have a problem.

My name is Rodney, and I am an alcoholic...

Last edited:

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
I stop in from time to time but not as often as I use to. I have 6 and 1/2 years clean myself and have been a certified drug and alcohol abuse counselor for almost 5 years.
I would just like to say good job on your clean time. Can we talk? while I am impressed with your time sober, the lack of completion of the 12 steps is of interest to me. You may be an exception to what I have observed. I see a lot of people who fail to complete the steps and manage to "force" there self to stay sober by making it a daily fight to not use, where people who successfully work the steps find themselves going months or even years without even "thinking" about using. Quite a different approach. Either force the issue or change the base thinking. Some people actually work many of the steps naturally without trying.
Either way, great job, nice to meet you and Merry Christmas.

Hi, new to the group, trying to switch to full time vaping, as it is my last big hurdle of addiction I have to tackle. Been clean 3 months short of 7 years now, and have just found the courage needed to tackle this I hope. Have had some trouble with my supplier Green Smoke whom I fell in love with immediately product wise but have struggled with on the customer service aspect. Looking for a new 2 part to try, but there are SO many kinds and so much input on this site and others I have become WAY overwhelmed....any input on a personal level from others here would be greatly appreciated. Kindest Regards, Jewel :confused:

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
510 is a great model. I am a fan of the m401, which is a 3 piece(cartridge, atomizer, and battery). Check out some more of the reviews on this site, as well as some video reviews on youtube. Video reviews are particularly good because you can get a good feel for the actual size of the model, as well as SEE the vapor production, and the vaper's satisfaction(or dissatisfaction depending on the model).

Also, great job deciding to give up analog cigarettes! I know a lot of people who have used the 12-steps to eventually give up cigarettes! Keep it up!

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Havent Been in here for a while, but thought I would stop in and say that , Through the GOG and the fellowship of AA, I am happy to be celebrating 21 Years Today....Thanks for everything and keep comin!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB DREW!!! It's very inspiring to see people from all over the world, in all sorts of places(forums), with all types of hobbies(ecigs), that have had their lives changed through the fellowship. I'm only approaching three months for me, but I'm so inspired by the people I meet at meetings(and on the forums) that have many years, and even many decades in recovery. You're doing a great job! Keep coming back!!

spike

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2008
London, UK
Congratulations Drew. I haven't been around as much as I used to either, but my attention was caught by the possible ban on nicotine liquids in the UK in June which seems to have come out of nowhere.

On a more personal note I also had an anniversary, 23 years on Tuesday, a day at a time - in fact, about 8395 days, give or take the odd leap year.

jdvorr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2010
up nort, MN
Hey folks,

I am an alcoholic with nearly 16 yrs. clean and sober. The funny thing is that I never smoked (cigarettes) haha, until I got sober. This is a testament to my truly addictive personality. I have been a smoker for nearly 16 yrs. I was so glad to find ecigs! I can still puff away and don't have to worry about lung damage! Awesome! I am still getting the hang of juice and refilling carts and whatnot, but I am in heaven! I actually love all the gadgetry and chemistry. It's kind of like how I love all the pieces of tackle and gadgets involved in fishing. I have another new hobby and it's much cheaper and healthier than smoking! The first ecig I found was V4L Vapor King. I'm very happy with the product and the service. Is there anything better out there?:D

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Hey folks,

I am an alcoholic with nearly 16 yrs. clean and sober. The funny thing is that I never smoked (cigarettes) haha, until I got sober. This is a testament to my truly addictive personality. I have been a smoker for nearly 16 yrs. I was so glad to find ecigs! I can still puff away and don't have to worry about lung damage! Awesome! I am still getting the hang of juice and refilling carts and whatnot, but I am in heaven! I actually love all the gadgetry and chemistry. It's kind of like how I love all the pieces of tackle and gadgets involved in fishing. I have another new hobby and it's much cheaper and healthier than smoking! The first ecig I found was V4L Vapor King. I'm very happy with the product and the service. Is there anything better out there?:D

welcome jdvorr!

it's nice to have e-cigs as a new hobby! i love it! i've even gotten a few of my buddies from my regular AA meetings to switch over to e-cigs!

Hi! My name is Justin and I'm an alcoholic. I've been sober just over a year now and doing really well with it! I was a chronic abuser of alcohol. I don't think I went a single day in the last 5 years of drinking without getting drunk. AA is the single best thing to ever come into my life and I'm sure that it saved not only my life, but my sanity as well! Congrats to all of you for your years of sobriety. I look forward to the day when I can claim to have 10, 15, 20+ years sober! I've been vaping for a few months now and just got the KR808D-1 from CigEasy.com and I'm really loving it. My house doesn't stink, my car doesn't stink, I don't stink & my cat doesn't stink! I honestly feel better health wise too. I volunteer at my local sober club/meeting house and a lot of people there ask me about my ecigs and I'm always happy to tell them about it and encourage them to try mine a bit and see what they think. There's a smoking ban in public places kicking into effect here in Michigan in April and when that happens, no more smoking at the club or meetings! I'm glad I'm getting prepared for it now! Just imagine what would happen if they took our coffee away too! 8-o

Hey Johnny, congrats on your first year! AA is the best thing to happen to me as well. I'm also showing off my e-cig (Joye 510) at my home group, and several people have become interested. At first, a few of my AA friends in my group thought it was a fad, that I just had a new "tech toy". But 23 days and I am still coming around with the same e-cig and they have not seen me take a puff off of an analog once.

If they took away the coffee, they better find a way to put caffeine in my e-liquid!
see ya' around the forum!

I'm Bill and I am an Alcoholic - Sober one day at a time since 7/07/05

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread