• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Am I the only "Drunk" here???

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
Wow, I can't believe it took me so long to find out about this group!

Clyde A., and through the grace of God and this simple program, I have not had to take a drink since 8/4/2000.

Congrats, Drew! I've been taking your xhaler #7 model to my home group (and to a conference) for a bit now; the irony! (I'll observe the 12th tradition.)

Two things about the xhaler (and pvs) and meetings.

1. As long as I'm not obnoxious and use my xhaler as a smog machine, I can vape during non-smoking meetings in my home group. There's going to be a lot of controversy when my home group has a vote on going smoking or non smoking this Sunday. Thanks in part to Drew, I have truly been placed in a position of neutrality.

2. You would not believe the looks I got when I showed someone my xhaler on the floor of a conference (must have been a lot of 'dual winners' there).

And Johnny, congrats to you, too! Keep volunteering, and following the 'old farts' around. My first sponsor-God rest his soul-gave me the single best piece of advice concerning early sobriety:

"......nit Clyde, when you're feeling restless, irritable and discontented, and nothing else will work, you need to go over to the clubhouse, find someone that's doing worse off than you are, ask him about his problems and shut the f*<k up and listen to him. It works every time." And it does, every time.

Last edited:

Spankmeister

Feb 22, 2010
South Florida
Howdy Folks...
I am Darren and am an alcoholic...
Been sober since 2/13/99...just celebrated 11yrs a couple of weeks ago!
Actually, a old sponsor came to visit me from Michigan (where I used to live and got sober) and he had a e-cig, I was curious as I have been smoking for just about 20yrs and was getting ready to take some steps to quit...
Found this place and after hours of searching (you know, 150% or nothing at all) finally bought a 501 and a KR8...
Only got them this week, so I am new to this, but looking forward to getting to know folks...:)

Peg0325

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
Western PA
Hi everybody!
My name is Peg and I am an alcoholic. My sobriety date is 1/17/87. I'm currently not active in our fellowship, but like to keep in touch a little bit and try to support out local club with my dues and a little donation. I always intend to get more active...Times when I was active, were some of the best.

Looking forward to making some friends in here.

Best regards!

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
I see there have been no posts for quite awhile but I wanted to put my hat in the ring
with fellow friends of Bill W. I've been sober for twenty-six years and a certified substance abuse counselor for twenty-four years. I've also now been tobacco free for the past two months and all because of electronic cigs. I never thought I would be able to stop smoking, but with e-cigs it has been literally effortless - so far. If anyone wants to post or send a message or e-mail please do so. Thanks, and Easy Does It

taxicat

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
atlanta (norcross)
Hello Friends!

Newbie here....will receive my eGo tomorrow.

Wow! Alot of long time sobriety here. This is not meant to offend anybody....would love to see more of you at mtgs.

I sobered up on 12/10/84. Meetings and my sponser got me through some really tough times.

I attend one mtg/week. It's my home group and have been a member since I sobered up. Least I forget, even with my time sobeer, I am still just one drink away.

taxicat

Hey Johnny, congrats on your first year! AA is the best thing to happen to me as well. I'm also showing off my e-cig (Joye 510) at my home group, and several people have become interested. At first, a few of my AA friends in my group thought it was a fad, that I just had a new "tech toy". But 23 days and I am still coming around with the same e-cig and they have not seen me take a puff off of an analog once.

If they took away the coffee, they better find a way to put caffeine in my e-liquid!
see ya' around the forum!

I'm Bill and I am an Alcoholic - Sober one day at a time since 7/07/05

maybe you could guide me to a meeting ???? I will be in Galvaston Next month to celebrate 10 years will a cruise!!!

WickedFish

Jun 16, 2010
MA
I stop in from time to time but not as often as I use to. I have 6 and 1/2 years clean myself and have been a certified drug and alcohol abuse counselor for almost 5 years.
I would just like to say good job on your clean time. Can we talk? while I am impressed with your time sober, the lack of completion of the 12 steps is of interest to me. You may be an exception to what I have observed. I see a lot of people who fail to complete the steps and manage to "force" there self to stay sober by making it a daily fight to not use, where people who successfully work the steps find themselves going months or even years without even "thinking" about using. Quite a different approach. Either force the issue or change the base thinking. Some people actually work many of the steps naturally without trying.
Either way, great job, nice to meet you and Merry Christmas.

Perhaps the set of people you have observed are not a truly accurate representation of all addicts and alcoholics?

If most of the people you see are still struggling or are in active treatment.....then you are likely to have a skewed sample.

While I agree that it is a good idea to encourage newbies ( 1 to 5 years) to commit to the whole program, someone who has 21 years....or 15 ( like myself) and has never done the twelve steps is not likely to benefit that much. - (Unless they are having signifigant life difficulties)

I don't mean to crap on you, or AA as a program.....but with only 15 years, there is no way I'm going to give any unsolicited advice on staying sober to Rodney, who has 21.

That's always been an aspect of AA that rubbed me the wrong way. There is this odd competitive streak that sneaks in. If I go to more meetings than you, then I'm more of an authority...if I did the twelve steps and you didn't, then I am more of sober than you.

By the same token, just because I have 15 years doesn't mean I'm "more sober" than you.

Desert_Rose

Nov 4, 2010
Indianapolis
What I have done, is stayed sober... 21yrs and not one drop of alcohol. My mind is true and my soul is clean. And I will continue this recovery process until the day that I die.

IMO .... in the end that's all that matters!!! :D Congrats to all friends of Bill W.!

My name is Christina, & I am an alcoholic.....

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference... Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My name is Mark and I am a recovering alcoholic. My belly button birthday is 07-05-80 and my real birthday is 12-08-04. I am a CLEAN and SOBER member of AA, but I am addicted as hell to vaping. I quit smoking cigarettes about 18 months ago. From the first electronic cigarette kit I had mailed to me that led to that first drag of vapor, I have never touched an analog since. Nice to know there are some friends of Bill Wilson here. Congratulations on your new-found freedom and happiness. I hope the promises have came true for you as they truly have for me. I've been on an AA hiatus myself due to the fact that I have just completed a registered nursing program. Now I'm just waiting to take State boards and have recently had time to go to more meetings. It feels good to be back home in the rooms. Take care and keep coming back

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That's incredible! Always inspiring to year of young people getting sober and staying sober for most of their lives. My sponsor also got sober at 17, and he's 28 now and has 11 years without ever having relapsed. He has what I want, and i'm on my way to a likewise accomplishment, one day at a time :)

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Hello everybody,

Some really inspiring recovery stories here. Congratulations. Very new to recovery myself - 6 months clean. Mostly just resting for now as the mental and physical toll of my addiction were pretty high.

Hoping that we can get this party for friends of Bill.W and sister fellowships started again.

Much love & keep coming back.

Xx

Feuille - addict in recovery since 12.01.12 (just realised that my date even looks pretty :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread