Am I the only one surprised that literally no one asks what the hell that contraption I'm smoking is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnytwofingers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I've only been vaping for about 3 weeks, but I've been doing it in public the whole time....walking on the street, waiting at crosswalks, 15 minute smoke breaks outside my office in the general vicinity of other smokers, etc. (I haven't gone out with the smokers right outside a bar though.) I'm simply amazed that not a single person has asked me what the hell it is I'm smoking, or as far as I know even looked at me funny.

I know it's not that people already know what it is....3.5 weeks ago I had no clue what ecigs were, and I've never ever seen another person use them in my city.

The only thing I can think of is: people think it's some sort of a drug/........ delivery device, and if I'm bold enough to use it in broad daylight, perhaps I'm not a person that they should be talking to. As ridiculous as that sounds, I honestly think that's got to be the main reason.

The only reaction at all I've ever gotten is one instance of the classic fake "cough cough" from someone walking behind me, but he turned into his apartment right away after that.

I suppose I shouldn't worry about it, but like a lot of others here, I feel this moral obligation to convert people, if not for health reasons, but even simply for economic reasons.

Anyone else out there seeing no other vapers in public, and absolutely zero curiosity from smokers (or anyone)?

johnnytwofingers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
or no one cares. :p
often enough i get no attention, and really, i would rather avoid it and be on my merry little way.

I'd be cool with no one caring, but I don't think that's the case. Lots of people care a lot about their $120/month cable bill, or their $85/month cell phone bill, but these same people never question their $300+/month smoking bill.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
often enough i get no attention, and really, i would rather avoid it and be on my merry little way.
How True !!
I've been openly vaping in public for years and no one ever bugged me.

Half the admit that I do know how to draw attention if I want it.
Just blow HUGE VAPOR CLOUDS
and I often do that around smokers then make eye contact and Smile.
That usually gets their attention and opens a friendly conversation
1-BigGrin.png

For those reading these words ...
If ya want to vape in public and don't want to draw attention to yourself ...
Don't constantly look around and make eye contact with strangers.
In other words act normal and not like a shoplifter.
:p

cwolfman13

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2012
New Mexico
I've only been vaping for 3 days and have already had an odd public encounter. I was driving home from work yesterday with my 2.5 year old son and vaping away, listening to some toons. I had pulled up along a police officer but was obviously oblivious to the odd looks he was giving me...he slid in behind me and turned on the lights.

I think he was a little taken back when he saw my kiddo and me in a shirt and tie. He asked me what I was smoking...I told him vaping, not smoking. He asked to see the pipe...took a couple sniffs and looked at it from a few different angles and told me to hit it. I did...and explained to him that it was an e-cig and I was quiting smoking. At any rate, he definitely, initially thought I was using some sort of drug pipe. Once he figured out what it was, he asked me a whole bunch of other questions and how it was working for me, etc. He told me he'd only ever seen the e-cigs that looked like a real ciggy and never anything like my eGO DCT.

I couldn't really answer a whole lot of his questions since I'm as green as the grass here, but he definitely thought it was pretty cool in the end.

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth

This.

I remember the first time I saw one in person. The cable TV tech was at my house at we started talking about music and this and that. I was having a cig while we were talking. In the middle of the conversation he whipped out an ecig and started puffing on it in my house. I was kind of stunned for a second. I didn't know what it was at first. I thought it might have been something illegal for a brief second but quickly remembered hearing about ecigs. I could tell he was begging for me to ask about it but I intentionally didn't because I don't enjoy feeding attention to attention hungry people. I simply ignored it and continued the conversation.

jeffjr464

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
London, Ontario, Canada
i've come to accept at first glance people think your bravely hitting (OTHER STUFF) in broad daylight, i was getting paperwork at work, one of our trainmasters walked by while i was taking a drag, he stopped dead in his tracks, came up to me and says are you smoking (OTHER STUFF) !!! all i could do was laugh, then give him a 2min lesson on vaping and explain the harmlessness of it, now he's a vaper and bugging me for juice!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

KarenB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
LA, CA.
Vaping is becoming more and more popular. Last week I was at a party and there were very few analog smokers and a group of us comparing equipment in a corner. I started doing this 2 years ago and the comments are less now then they were then. I have personally converted a ton of people ... Ask, don't ask, but never assume ;)

Spoomsister

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Apollo Beach, FL
I've been vaping for two years in November, but I too am getting less and less "looks" and questions. In fact, when I started my new job at a new hospital I was worried about going through all the explaining and negativity as I did when I first started vaping. On my third day at work a coworker was standing behind me, leaning up against the counter. I caught a glimpse of vapor and turned around with the biggest smile on my face. "HEY! I know what you're doing!" he acted surprised and a bit nervous, so I pulled out my PV and we got to talking. Turns out SEVERAL of my co-workers are fellow vapers and it is accepted by everyone I work with, including the boss. She prefers we vape than to smell like cigarettes to our patients, and we don't need a "smoke break" which takes up valuable work time. Smart boss. :eek:)

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
A lot of new vapers feel that way, too. It sometimes can feel or look awkward. But what we must do is, a) be respectful - your rights are just as valid as my rights, and society tends to favor the "non" smoking crowd. I know I may get flamed for this, but no one likes a rude dbag vaping away just to make a point. If what I do makes you uncomfortable, I will respect your right and not make you uncomfortable. Now, let me say, there are exceptions to this, like if I'm seriously needing a nic fix. I'll stealth vape, but I won't blow out a cloud of "smoke". I do my best to be as kind, polite, and respectful to other people as humanly possible. I don't know. I like kind, respectful people. And if being respectful to you means I need to go in the bathroom to hit my vape, even if might inconvenience me a little bit, I'll do that. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I've most often found that people don't ask questions immediately upon seeing me vape. They ask their questions after watching me for a while or when they've seen me vape on several different occasions. Its also fairly common that when I am answering someones questions that if there is someone else nearby they will come closer to hear what I'm saying and then ask their own questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread