Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
For me personally, vaping is Freedom from 40 years of Tobacco Use. I breathe better, sleep better, eat better (have extra 30 pounds to back that up) and have more energy and am far more productive thanks to vaping. Much like the Tobacco Pipes I used to smoke, I am a 'Puffer' or a Mouth-To-Lung Vaper. I enjoy a light, easy vape.
For me personally, vaping is NOT an Olympic Event, and I really couldn't care less about your 'Cloud Size'. I recently traded a new Reos LP/SP Grand and RM5 for a ProVari P2 and an Original Svoemesto Kayfun just because I really found no enjoyment in dual coils or sub-ohming. It was, for me; too hot, left my throat raw and aggravated my sinus allergies, and changed the way my favorite e-liquids taste. I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years because I HAD TO SMOKE, and I refuse to vape in a manner I am not totally comfortable with.
I run five Various Reos Mods, four have RM2's and one BF Veritas, and Two ProVaris with Kayfuns. Using either a 5/64 or a 3/32 drill bit, I wrap my own coils. I think I might have a few old pictures.
IMG_20131109_185016_130.jpg IMG_20141209_164421_713.jpg

I am quite comfortable with this vaping style. It wasn't that long ago we were all sucking on drip atomizers and Cartomizers. Which had their own coils in the bottom. Yes, Vaping is still in it's Evolutionary Stage. But sometimes, as I peruse the ECF, I am left to wonder am I the only dinosaur left who is NOT chasing clouds?

As the Title says, Am I the Only One who still Prefers a Single Coil ?

Last edited:

RiceBurner95

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2014
Leeds, AL
I prefer single coils also. With an RDA that lets me run single and close off air flow to the unused side, it's better to me than any dual coil. You get a faster ramp up, and don't use excessive amounts of liquid. I use a Cana Modz 30W box, and almost always use a single coil in the 1-1.8 ohm range. Plenty of flavor, good vapor, and my battery and juice lasts longer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
For me personally, Vaping is Freedom from 40 years of Tobacco Use. I breathe better, sleep better, eat better (have extra 30 pounds to back that up) and have more energy and am far more productive thanks to Vaping. Much like the Tobacco Pipes I used to smoke, I am a 'Puffer' or a Mouth-To-Lung Vaper. I enjoy a light, easy vape.
For me personally, Vaping is NOT an Olympic Event, and I really couldn't care less about your 'Cloud Size'. I recently traded a new Reos LP/SP Grand and RM5 for a ProVari P2 and an Original Svoemesto Kayfun just because I really found no enjoyment in dual coils or sub-ohming. It was, for me; too hot, left my throat raw and aggravated my sinus allergies, and changed the way my favorite e-liquids taste. I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years because I HAD TO SMOKE, and I refuse to vape in a manner I am not totally comfortable with.
I run five Various Reos Mods, four have RM2's and one BF Veritas, and Two ProVaris with Kayfuns. Using either a 5/64 or a 3/32 drill bit, I wrap my own coils. I think I might have a few old pictures.
View attachment 406003 View attachment 406004

I am quite comfortable with this vaping style. It wasn't that long ago we were all sucking on drip atomizers and Cartomizers. Which had their own coils in the bottom. Yes, Vaping is still in it's Evolutionary Stage. But sometimes, as I peruse the ECF, I am left to wonder am I the only dinosaur left who is NOT chasing clouds?

You're certainly not alone, I like taste and nicotine satisfaction, I could care less about the clouds.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
One good coil is all I need to get a tasty vape. Juice consumption is also more manageable.

With the constant stream of new shiny stuff, it only takes a moment to fall behind what is currently the must have vaping setup. I'm glad I found my sweet spot, and I'll accept the dinosaur title.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I like some heat, but don't need monster clouds - I'd rather have intense flavor...
I run more singles than duals, cuz I get want I want and
a) they're easier to build
and
b) I want "instant" response when I push the button - harder to achieve with more coil mass of a dual...

So my "hobby" lately has been finding and trying other TINY atties on my Reo - Chalice, Divo, Cyclone...
You might want to get your hands on a Cyclone...

collection2_zps527bf249.jpg

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Keeps me off smoking - tastes good - keeps me off smoking - got nic - keeps me off smoking - clouds that can suck the oxygen out of a room... No. :glare:

I don't get what it is about vaping that turns some normally adult people into 13 year old adolescents trying to one-up each other creating indoor weather patterns. Kewl! Not.

Single coil, small chamber just tastes batter and is a hella lot less hassle.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Papaw, although I am new to rebuilding, I am with you on this. I am a flavor junky, not a cloud chaser. I don't want a hot vape either. Warm is just fine for me. I have only tried 3 rebuildables so far. I am going to do a dual coil soon on the Aqua 2, to see if it really increases flavor. To me a dual coil, is more work. If I get what I need from one coil, I don't need the other, especially if there is not a noticeable difference. I have the Kayfun 3.1, Magma, and the Aqua 2. So far the taste from the Magma blows the other two away. I do like a tank though better overall, because of sheer convenience. I can vape a Magma fluid level down in nothing flat time wise...lol.

Reactions: 52anddone

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Good to see this thread .... Been away for awhile, quick scans seems everyone is cloud chasing with subohms & 100watt + boxmods. I don't get it. Who cares about cloud size...It's the quality of a vape that's king, otherwise just go suck on a party-rental fog machine. My single micro coil gennies, rbas & drippers with any of my mechs produce amazing flavor & will fill a room if I care to. Currently using a kf4 at 1.4 ohms on a 4nine, and a .9 ohm dripper with a stingray x, couldn't be happier with the taste.

Reactions: mauricem00

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
For me personally, Vaping is Freedom from 40 years of Tobacco Use. I breathe better, sleep better, eat better (have extra 30 pounds to back that up) and have more energy and am far more productive thanks to Vaping. Much like the Tobacco Pipes I used to smoke, I am a 'Puffer' or a Mouth-To-Lung Vaper. I enjoy a light, easy vape.
For me personally, Vaping is NOT an Olympic Event, and I really couldn't care less about your 'Cloud Size'. I recently traded a new Reos LP/SP Grand and RM5 for a ProVari P2 and an Original Svoemesto Kayfun just because I really found no enjoyment in dual coils or sub-ohming. It was, for me; too hot, left my throat raw and aggravated my sinus allergies, and changed the way my favorite e-liquids taste. I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years because I HAD TO SMOKE, and I refuse to vape in a manner I am not totally comfortable with.

I'm a single coil vaper, also. I just started building this month. I'm using KFL+V2's, & going for a v3 soon. I have no intention of going with dual coils for all of the same reasons mentioned above. I was a pad smoker for 42+ years, & paniced a the thought of having to quit. But quit I did, & I'm one of those that quit with my first vape. So haters go on & hate, I do not smoke!
Some of you might want to join us on the Older Folks & Vaping Front Porch (for vaping related topics, although we stray from that often. ;) ), & Older Folks & Vaping Back Porch, where we talk about anything & everything. Don't let the term "Older" mislead you. The threads were named years ago, & we keep the names out of respect for the who started them. We are the more "mature" vapers. Into devices, modding, flavor, diy. Not cloud chasers, although we have subohmer's, too, it's not about clouds.
The Back Porch is in The Lounge, & the Front Porch in General Discussion sections. The Porches are whatever climate you prefer, whatever view you desire, device & flavor you like, your beverage of choice. Snacks & pets are welcome, but you have to share! Come for a vist, you might like us!

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota

PawPaw,

I agree, and don't want the additional hassle of a dual coil. My current setup is an Istick and Lemo , usually at about 1.5-1.7 ohm build. That said, I have been debating getting a REO grand with RM2. I'm a complete doofus with coil builds and the RM2 appears to be the absolute simplest setup there is. I struggle sometimes building coils because I am impatient and not that coordinated.....and my wicking doesn't always come out just right on the Lemo. I can usually manage something of a decent vape......but that RM2 appears idiot proof.

Thoughts? Am I just convincing myself to buy something different again? Been vaping since Sep 2014, and frankly don't want to just keep truckin down the rabbit hole for the next best thing. I really kinda think the Reo + RM2 might be the simplest deal with the easiest build. I already know clearos + prebuilt coils aren't satisfying to me. The Lemo works, but I sometimes struggle for 30mins to get a decent build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread