Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
@5’10”: “P-Vaper, amazing shop, great guys.” Really? This ‘amazing shop’ does not exist Mr Hutchinson. The P-Vaper website gives no verifiable address and contains only a mobile number to call and a contact person as one Penguin Vaper. It commenced as a business 22nd April this year. Thirteen weeks ago. Ripe for a quick getaway if required I’d say. Certainly not a site I would recommend doing business with.

However, with a little bit of digging, it can be established that the P-Vaper address is in fact part of a 2-up, 2-down house in a residential road of terraced houses, many of which have metal gates protecting the front entrance doors. Draw from that what you will as to the type of neighbourhood. I say part because the actual house is divided into two apartments. So, basically it would appear that P-Vaper conducts company business from an upstairs bedroom. From small acorns large oaks grow I guess.

I found it interesting in their AmeraVape Technologies Understanding the Manhattan videos are filmed at Viper Vape, also a shop. Located in the garage of an apartment in a gated community. I didn't know gated communities got a lot of foot traffic. With so many vape shops in Southern California, I'd have thought they would have wanted their mod in some prominent shops. They probably didn't have time since "each Mod goes through a rigorous 50 point inspection of every part" They beat Jiffy Lube by 36 points. I can't wait to see their video on the 50 point inspection of just one part. If their mod has just 10 parts, it gets inspected 500 times! That's some serious quality control.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO

Here's an interview with AmeraVape owner and founder Erik Hutchinson. He talks about the controversies surrounding the popular Manhattan Mod, including the situation the company had with Todd's Reviews. He also answers several user-submitted questions.

More details and background info here.

That was interesting, thank you.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Kids and skateboards outside...

Little to no 'stock' in the shelves..

Fisheye lens on an iPhone as a camera..

Too funny! I've "heard" this video before, but I didn't watch it because the fish eye lens drives me crazy. I thought that there wasn't much to see, but boy was I wrong. totally never noticed the overhead garage door! lol

Here's the thing. Hand to heart, I think this is a nice mod. I think they had some great ideas. The switch is awesome, smooth, firm, etc. We know now that it DOES vent. lol I have friends that own them, have held them and played with them a bit, etc. I don't think the price is that bad in the realm of authentic mods. I HAD seriously considered buying one, and it would have been my first authentic mod.

Then all of this drama came out. i don't like the way that they handled anything about any of this. The Todd situation, the changing and changing and changing of stories, the clone issue with the comparison to Nazi Germany just really iced the cake, etc. If I'm going to get an authentic, and I'm going to support someone and put money in their hands, feed their families, encourage innovation, etc, etc, blah, blah... It's NOT going to be this dude. And all he had to do was show how it vents, (something the company has yet to do) and shut the hell up. I've seen them for sale used, and I'm even having a hard time supporting them that much.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Well, I am the owner of a Brass Manhattan (just like the one in Todd's review). I got the mod before I found out about all this stuff. Had I known the true extent of how Ameravape conducted themselves, I probably would've passed on the mod.

I will say that mine DOES vent. I simply blew air through the tube and confirmed that it came out the switch assembly. I did this with and without a battery installed. It did not pass air easily, but I did feel it coming out the switch on the other end. I am not sure if this will be adequate if the battery were ever to vent. I certainly hope it is!! But the fact that Todd's does NOT vent leads me to believe that they may have had some QC issues....they ALL should vent, not just some of them......The good news is that I do not vape at "super sub ohm" levels (usually not below .3-.4), and tend to stay within my VTC5's Amp limit.....

I have a knack for buying mods from companies who've done crappy things in the past, then finding out about said crappiness after the fact. I did the same thing with my V3tronix V3 Flip. The difference between the Manhattan and the Flip is that I actually really like the Manhattan! (the flip is another story. I hate that you cannot dissassemble the switch, and mine stands up crooked...However, I got it engraved with my initials, so it's mine now for better or worse!)

With the Manhattan, all I wanted was a clean-looking, well-made mod that performs good, and I can honestly say that I got that with the Manhattan. I personally like the way it looks in all-brass, and it performs very well......but there's no excuse for the way Ameravape has conducted themselves. I wish I did some more research before buying it, I probably would've saved my money......I did know that it had some venting issues, but I saw a Youtube video of a guy proving that it does vent, so I decided to give it a go. I am happy to learn that mine does pass air through the switch.....

All in all I am really happy with the mod itself, but I just think that Ameravape really shot themselves in the foot here. They need to hire a PR team and they need to do it fast. There's no excuse for threatening to sue a reviewer who's just giving his honest opinion about something that could be a safety concern.....

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Well, you first say its defamation, then claim that what NBC did was 'ok'.. Which is it? While their were concerns about the placement of the gast tanks, NBC defamed 'cause they made sure they would explode even if they didnt. To say Todd did the same he would have had to show a rigged Manhattan exploding. He didnt. He voiced an opinion. If that is defamation, then fine, prove it..

Ok , here you go... get ready..

In my opinion, the Manhattan is unsafe, and a pipebomb waiting to happen.

Now, bring on the suit..

I'm done with you and your obviousness..
your just playing with semantics now. i think we can say both sides of this are putting on less than a stellar performance. if you want to bash a company for no real apparent reason go on ahead. the only important issue is what Todd said. all the rest of the stuff,its called a competition mod,Ameravapes anti-clone campaign,(both marketing gimmicks admittedly)and some video showing the owner using a clone way before he got into manufacturing his own mod are irevelant. i have nothing against Todd or Ameravape. both perhaps could have handled things differently. i would not want any one to sue any body.my point is if todd were here in the states Ameravape would have a perfectly legal right to consider legal recourse. i wouldn't wish that to happen,you wouldn't wish that to happen,nobody wishes that to happen. it is how ever a possibility that one should consider to put this whole thing into perspective. i don't believe Todd is a jerk nor,do i believe Amaravapes is some evil entity bent on ripping off and killing their customers. they both seem to be doing their best trying to make a living out there in the real world and,when your in the real world one sometimes has to deal with it.
:2c:
regards
mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@53”: Mr Hutchinson said “Controversy does help a product get known.” He obviously believes in the old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity. Unless of course it’s your own obituary.

@1’05”: He talks of ‘clones’ and ‘fake products’ and blames the ‘the machine shop’ for cutting corners and using mixed metals. Surely if that was in fact true and if he had had a contractually binding agreement with an American company, he would have had his legal eagle all over them like a bad case of measles. Hmmmm..strange smell around here.

Following on, if Ameravape did have this legit contract then why haven’t they started litigation and instituted a court order enforcing the supervised destruction of the so-called QC failures? Is it because the machine shop is not under US jurisdiction? Or maybe it is but perhaps AV reneged on the deal for whatever reason and the machine shop feels they have a right to recover their losses caused by AV’s withdrawal.

@3’45”: “Check with us, there have been some ‘fakes’ thrown out onto the market.” If that is true then surely AV should have explained to folk what exactly these ‘fakes’ were i.e. their ‘trash’ and warned of their instability and possible danger. A lack of ethics to say the least. That smell’s getting stronger.

@3’50”: “About 3,000 mods out there maybe more, I don’t know.” How very indefinite Mr Hutchinson. I don’t suppose being so allows you to lay grounds that any future variations of the Manhattan might be dangerous.

@3’50” and a bit: Following on from what Mr Hutchinson said and perhaps what he didn’t say, one could quite easily gather that AV is in fact not a mod maker but a group of guys who have all chipped into the pot to form a paper company to make a fast buck. Tread wary Mr Hutchinson, bucks tend to have horns and might just turn around and stick you.

@4’28”: “We are being proactive with it.” I.e. reference to withdrawing the Manhattan. Sorry Mr Hutchinson you are doing as prescribed by your insurance company to keep you afloat. That’s being reactive not proactive. Your chance to be proactive was when Todd/P-Vaper first contacted AV asking about venting via the switch etc.

@4’55”: “Take a deep breath that was a very long story.” Story? It sounded more like Grimm’s Fairy Tales and we know they weren’t true either.

@5’10”: “P-Vaper, amazing shop, great guys.” Really? This ‘amazing shop’ does not exist Mr Hutchinson. The P-Vaper website gives no verifiable address and contains only a mobile number to call and a contact person as one Penguin Vaper. It commenced as a business 22nd April this year. Thirteen weeks ago. Ripe for a quick getaway if required I’d say. Certainly not a site I would recommend doing business with.

However, with a little bit of digging, it can be established that the P-Vaper address is in fact part of a 2-up, 2-down house in a residential road of terraced houses, many of which have metal gates protecting the front entrance doors. Draw from that what you will as to the type of neighbourhood. I say part because the actual house is divided into two apartments. So, basically it would appear that P-Vaper conducts company business from an upstairs bedroom. From small acorns large oaks grow I guess.

@5’20”: “They (P-Vaper) sent one of their brass Manhattans over to Todd for Todd’s reviews. I don’t know if he bought it from them. I don’t know if they just sent it to them. They just did it on their own.” Mr Hutchinson, you know exactly how that mod got into Todd’s hands.
Reason No.1 being, there is no way on God’s earth you have not contacted Amir Saeed at P-Vaper since the furore you caused over Todd’s review. Likewise, there is no way that you did not discuss how Todd became in possession of the mod. Reason No.2 being that you immediately follow on by saying “I watched the review and 90%...blah blah.” Therefore Mr Hutchinson, you heard Todd clearly say it had been sent to him for review. More porky pies Mr Hutchinson? Why, on something so inconsequential? That’s something only inveterate liars do.

Here we arrive at what is possibly the crux of the matter as far as AV are concerned and that is ye old pipe bomb comment. To me, a pipe bomb is a sealed metal tube containing an explosive material and a detonator (be it manually or remotely controlled) and was ostensibly designed as an anti-personnel weapon.

Knowing the explositivity of Li-ion and more so Li-Po, are not all mods a pipe bomb to some degree once a battery has been inserted? To me, the detonator or fuse is the design and quality of build coupled with the care and maintenance exhibited the end user.

Now, for Mr Hutchinson and any newer vapers who are unaware of the explosive potential of certain types and makes of Li-ion or Li-Po batteries under certain conditions, I would just ask you to watch this video.

What you don’t see or appreciate in the video, is firstly the building of temperature which starts as soon as the short is activated by bridging the positive nipple to the side or casing of the cell. Secondly, the toxic gases exuding from the cell as the temperature rises, which can be seen as a kind of heat haze exiting the cell. By the time the molten innards start to dribble down the side, the temperature is in excess of 200o C and still rising.

A few things come to mind here Mr Hutchinson. By constructing a mod that is what, some three plus times the thickness of normal tubes, how much longer is it before a vaper might get some indication of a short other than the normal way we have done up till now, which is by a burning sensation on your leg if the mod is in a pocket, or by hand if being held? Is that already very short warning time reduced by the mod’s extra wall thickness? I assume you have tested it and have the figures to prove it?

In your mod, how do these non-35psi toxic and inflammable gases exit the tube? The standard way till now has always been through ventilation hole/s through the end cap into the battery compartment, or on one or two mods, similarly holes adjacent to the 510 connector at the top of the battery compartment.

Bearing in mind the larger capacity cell the larger the explosion, is your mod capable of containing the force exerted by this sudden release of energy? I assume you have tested it and have the figures to prove it?

Oh bums, I’ve had enough. I did for some stupid reason intend to go through the whole of the ‘interview’ itemising all the glaring lies and contradictions but I admit defeat. I’ve lost the will to live.

Mr Hutchinson, you are nothing, to use an old English word, but a charlatan. I won’t wish you goodnight but rather long may you have nightmares over AV’s loss. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

and all this will be relevant when Todd releases the forth coming independent tests confirming that the mod he had in fact did not vent.
respectfully submitted,
mike

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
your just playing with semantics now. i think we can say both sides of this are putting on less than a stellar performance. if you want to bash a company for no real apparent reason go on ahead. the only important issue is what Todd said. all the rest of the stuff,its called a competition mod,Ameravapes anti-clone campaign,(both marketing gimmicks admittedly)and some video showing the owner using a clone way before he got into manufacturing his own mod are irevelant. i have nothing against Todd or Ameravape. both perhaps could have handled things differently. i would not want any one to sue any body.my point is if todd were here in the states Ameravape would have a perfectly legal right to consider legal recourse. i wouldn't wish that to happen,you wouldn't wish that to happen,nobody wishes that to happen. it is how ever a possibility that one should consider to put this whole thing into perspective. i don't believe Todd is a jerk nor,do i believe Amaravapes is some evil entity bent on ripping off and killing their customers. they both seem to be doing their best trying to make a living out there in the real world and,when your in the real world one sometimes has to deal with it.
regards
mike

Are you working for ameravape?
A quick google yeilds me the name "mike patton" actually plenty of mike turns up on a quick google...

I do actually think so, due your the only one here trying to diehard defend ameravape.

cynik

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Known Earth
All smoke and mirrors. At this point it doesn't matter if the mod vents or not. The owners are hypocritical, lying, vindictive, money-grubbing douchebags who went as far as launch an idiotic propaganda that they very well know could catch the FDA's attention (pics of a blown hand?! FFS...) to serve their own purpose. Service to the community my ......

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
my point is if todd were here in the states Ameravape would have a perfectly legal right to consider legal recourse.
Anybody anywhere has a "perfectly legal right" to "consider" any damn thing they please. I could "consider" swimming the Indian Ocean, or marrying the Pope, or serving Drano sandwiches at my next garden party. That's not the point.

The point is that AmeriVape has no legal grounds on which to sue, regardless of where either party lives. This point has been explained to you about 50 times.

:facepalm:

Is it actually possible that you really and truly don't get this, or are you just dragging your 2 cent joke out waaaay too long?

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Anybody anywhere has a "perfectly legal right" to "consider" any damn thing they please. I could "consider" swimming the Indian Ocean, or marrying the Pope, or serving Drano sandwiches at my next garden party. That's not the point.

The point is that AmeriVape has no legal grounds on which to sue, regardless of where either party lives. This point has been explained to you about 50 times.

Is it actually possible that you really and truly don't get this, or are you just dragging your 2 cent joke out waaaay too long?

This or he works for ameravape. I googled his name + ameravape and it showed up on several places.
So my guess is he's working for them.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
popcorn.gif

AmeraVape sure is getting some "airtime" here!

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Well, I am the owner of a Brass Manhattan (just like the one in Todd's review). I got the mod before I found out about all this stuff. Had I known the true extent of how Ameravape conducted themselves, I probably would've passed on the mod.

I will say that mine DOES vent. I simply blew air through the tube and confirmed that it came out the switch assembly. I did this with and without a battery installed. It did not pass air easily, but I did feel it coming out the switch on the other end. I am not sure if this will be adequate if the battery were ever to vent. I certainly hope it is!! But the fact that Todd's does NOT vent leads me to believe that they may have had some QC issues....they ALL should vent, not just some of them......The good news is that I do not vape at "super sub ohm" levels (usually not below .3-.4), and tend to stay within my VTC5's Amp limit.....

I have a knack for buying mods from companies who've done crappy things in the past, then finding out about said crappiness after the fact. I did the same thing with my V3tronix V3 Flip. The difference between the Manhattan and the Flip is that I actually really like the Manhattan! (the flip is another story. I hate that you cannot dissassemble the switch, and mine stands up crooked...However, I got it engraved with my initials, so it's mine now for better or worse!)

With the Manhattan, all I wanted was a clean-looking, well-made mod that performs good, and I can honestly say that I got that with the Manhattan. I personally like the way it looks in all-brass, and it performs very well......but there's no excuse for the way Ameravape has conducted themselves. I wish I did some more research before buying it, I probably would've saved my money......I did know that it had some venting issues, but I saw a Youtube video of a guy proving that it does vent, so I decided to give it a go. I am happy to learn that mine does pass air through the switch.....

All in all I am really happy with the mod itself, but I just think that Ameravape really shot themselves in the foot here. They need to hire a PR team and they need to do it fast. There's no excuse for threatening to sue a reviewer who's just giving his honest opinion about something that could be a safety concern.....

Damn shame isn't it! It really does seem to be a nice mod!

Necrotic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA

And truly if they wanted his video taken down because of the word "pipe bomb" why not just try and remove the reviews of every single reviewer? Because if they wanted the video taken down because Todd shared his concerns and opinion then that's truly what every other reviewer is doing. Todd simply stated his OPINION. Just because Ameravape didn't like the word they used the word "legal action" which there is no law about posting your opinion on a product. This is my main problem. These big youtubers that get mods for free state their opinions and when they don't give rave reviews it seems that the companies get all butthurt. Same thing happened with VapingWithTwisted420 and Yeahsmo when he said (about the Yeahsmo Pegasus) "This thing is a piece of {MODERATED}". Yeahsmo got all butthurt but didn't threaten him and demand he take it down, because they knew it was his opinion. My opinion is these companies like this are what is truly hurting the vaping community. Between Ameravape and V3tronix I will never purchase anything manufactured by these companies. The way they have been handling themselves is just crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Are you working for ameravape?
A quick google yeilds me the name "mike patton" actually plenty of mike turns up on a quick google...

I do actually think so, due your the only one here trying to diehard defend ameravape.

no i am not affiliated in any way with Ameravape's nor Todd. i never heard of either till all this started.
regards
mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

if Todd was here in the states Ameravape would have every right to pursue the matter legally. if that where the case i would hope they wouldn't. i can see that perhaps their council would even advise them not to. it doesn't change the fact they could if they so chose.that is indisputable.how could it be otherwise?
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread