Travel and Vaping American Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
I wrote to American Airlines requesting an explanation of their ban on using e-cigs during flights. Here is their response:

"Thank you for your comments about electronic cigarettes. While we do permit passengers to carry electronic cigarettes aboard, their activation is prohibited. Currently, there are unresolved health and safety concerns that prevent the use of electronic cigarettes on our flights.

Among these concerns, this product has not been tested to ensure that it doesn't emit an excess of RF energy (which could interfere with onboard systems) while used in an aircraft cabin. Additionally, the effects of propylene glycol mist (which this product emits) being disbursed throughout a compressed cabin have not been examined.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address this matter. I hope that you will agree that the safety of our passengers and crew should always be our top priority."

Whether or not we like the decision, I'm appreciative that my letter didn't go into a junk pile (I wasn't sure I would get any response). It does show that they have at least looked into it enough to have specific concerns, rather than the 'ban it just because its like a cigarette' sentiment we see too much of.

I'm going to reply with a thank you and inquire whether the airline is now, or is planning to investigate their concerns.

I'm also going to make a copy of the letter and keep it in my carry-on bag. On the off-chance that I ever have a problem going through security with a TSA agent unfamiliar with e-cigs, it might be helpful to be able to show them that it's allowed to be carried onto the plane.

Last edited:

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Never the less, they are not proven bad, but people stinking of cigarettes are allowed to fly. People(?) with nasty infectious diseases are allowed to fly (and not even checked for them anymore).

I booked a flight here recently and when offered an AA flight I told them "NO", I would not fly AA.

All has to do with fear of being sued, "heath concerns" are just what most people will buy.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
I'm also going to make a copy of the letter and keep it in my carry-on bag. On the off-chance that I ever have a problem going through security with a TSA agent unfamiliar with e-cigs, it might be helpful to be able to show them that it's allowed to be carried onto the plane.

A letter will do absolutely no good with TSA. E-cigs are not banned or controlled in airports so the TSA has no real interest in them right now. If you get a goober that gives you a problem ask for a supervisor. If you still have a problem, there's nothing you can do about it at that point. A letter from anyone will be totally useless.

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
A letter will do absolutely no good with TSA. E-cigs are not banned or controlled in airports so the TSA has no real interest in them right now. If you get a goober that gives you a problem ask for a supervisor. If you still have a problem, there's nothing you can do about it at that point. A letter from anyone will be totally useless.
I don't expect to need it, but it can't hurt to have it. Having helpful documentation has already saved my .... going through security with something else. Ya never know.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Are there other airlines that do permit vaping? AA has a point, although I think is very unlikely to have a e-cig interfere with the airplane's systems. In all the others I think that if it's untested they have to cover their backs.

Nope no airlines are going to officially say its OK, it really depends on your flight crew and surrounding passengers if you want to vape openly. A few on these boards have done so.
I just vape discreetly and usually ask the person next to me and explain to them what I am doing, never had a problem yet.

Yes this battery thing is stretching it IMO.

Glock

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I don't expect to need it, but it can't hurt to have it. Having helpful documentation has already saved my .... going through security with something else. Ya never know.

Any chance you can scan and post this letter for those that think the same as you that it could not hurt to have if we get harassed for having it in our carry-on, etc.

Thank you either way...

-BTW- for those that fly with it. Do you have any problems taking your juice along?

I do think I will leave the syringes at home, LOL...

Last edited:

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
Any chance you can scan and post this letter for those that think the same as you that it could not hurt to have if we get harassed for having it in our carry-on, etc.

Thank you either way...
Sure thing. It's at home, and I'm not, as I'm usually out of state Wed - Fri. I'll get it up tomorrow.

Continental is the only other airline I know for sure has banned using them in flight. That pretty well sux for me since they dominate Newark Airport. I think most often its like PTJD and others have said. Be polite and discrete and see what happens.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Any problem getting the juice thru security or do you just check that in your luggage.

My wife fly's tomorrow and come to think of it she probably will not check any luggage since it is just a 1-day trip...

1 fluid Oz is like 29cc, you are allowed 3.2 oz or so to carry-on each bottle. I would not push this rule, if there is a question they will look at the bottle. I carry 2 10-15cc bottles and a 4cc bottle in my carry-on without no problems. Keep it simple.

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
Yeah, I'll just have her carry a small 3ml dropper bottle or sommething.
She can take more than that if she wants. If my brain is functioning (no guarantees on that!) up to 100ml is fine. I think that equals the 3.4oz allowable size.
wakeup.jpg

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
When did CO ban e-cigs? AA is the only airline that had officially banned them as far as I know. I can't find anything on CO's prohibited items list.
In last November's CO in-flight magazine it specifically stated e-cigs are prohibited from use on board - I have no idea how many months' issues prior to that also carried the statement! *uses CO a lot for a Brit*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread