American Cancer Society Position Statement on Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
"Some smokers, despite firm clinician advice, will not attempt to quit smoking cigarettes and will not use FDA approved cessation medications. "

Will they ever understand us??
Probably not, but at least they acknowledge vaping is less harmful than smoking.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
"Some smokers, despite firm clinician advice, will not attempt to quit smoking cigarettes and will not use FDA approved cessation medications. "

Will they ever understand us??

Nope.. especially considering I ended up using e-cigarettes only after every single FDA approved smoking cessation product ever made was unsuccessful...

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
'Reducing nicotine in all combustible tobacco products to below addictive levels holds the potential to significantly accelerate reductions in the use of combustible tobacco products.'

That statement is surely wrong, what are addictive levels and i would smoke more not less if they reduced the levels. Very misleading.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
"Scientific Summary: Based on currently available evidence, using current generation e-cigarettes is less harmful than smoking cigarettes"

"switching to the exclusive use of e-cigarettes is preferable to continuing to smoke combustible products"

That's a start.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The reduction of nicotine in cigarettes is a big part of the FDAs current approach to reducing smoking rates. Limited trials seem to bear this out, but we'll see how it goes when released in the wild.

It's a tough sell from a safety and even scientific basis to not recommending NRT first. It likely is lower risk to long term health than vaping. However when NRTs fail, or folks won't try them then recommending vaping is a sound strategy. As we say around here vaping is safer than smoking but not as safe as breathing only clean air. And while lots of us around here have been successful with vaping it doesn't work for every smoker, and trying all methods to decrease cigarette smoking is the right approach. One size does not fit all.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
'Reducing nicotine in all combustible tobacco products to below addictive levels holds the potential to significantly accelerate reductions in the use of combustible tobacco products.'

That statement is surely wrong, what are addictive levels and i would smoke more not less if they reduced the levels. Very misleading.
They seem to be forgetting, or ignoring, that nicotine may be the least harmful component of burning tobacco.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It's a tough sell from a safety and even scientific basis to not recommending NRT first. It likely is lower risk to long term health than vaping.

I agree with the last statement as far as NRT (patches, Nicorette, etc.). However, unfortunately, many more doctors now seem to prescribe Chantix more often, instead of NRT. Comparing Chantix to vaping...I've never heard of someone having vivid, horrific nightmares, or experiencing recurring thoughts of suicide, or actually commiting suicide...as a result of vaping. I'd love to see more doctors recommend vaping, rather than Chantix.

Maybe in a few more years, when Moffitt Cancer Center's 4 year study on e-cigarettes is completed and the findings are reported...that will be the case. They already found, (when selecting participants for the various study groups at the beginning)...that vaping already was highly effective, as "sort of a NRT" for many smokers, including me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

ExeterVape123

Feb 20, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unapproved Survey

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I agree with the last statement as far as NRT (patches, Nicorette, etc.). However, unfortunately, many more doctors now seem to prescribe Chantix more often, instead of NRT.
How/why would a doctor prescribe something that's readily available over the counter? At most, they would recommend them, but recommendations are much harder to track than prescriptions.

FWIW, I'm glad NRTs are available OTC. They make airline travel somewhat less torturous. :)

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
FWIW, I'm glad NRTs are available OTC. They make airline travel somewhat less torturous. :)
Flying from or to where I live is nearly an all day job. So, just for the reason you mention here, if I can get there in one day straight through I will drive.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Non vapers don't understand vapers, whether they smoke or not, in which case once they switch, they begin to understand.....

I tried every "standard" method besides Chantix and hypnosis, they all did not work. I do have a pack of nicotine lozenges for lengthy stretches were I cannot vape, but that is where it ends, for me.

I hate flying so much! With that said, I've always hated it.... Always.

Anna

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi

We we went this way once already with "Light" cigarettes.
Cut the amount of nicotine in cigarettes, and people smoke more cigarettes.
Rather counter-productive, since the serious health issues aren't caused by nicotine, but the hundreds of other chemicals in cigarette smoke that people will be increasing their exposure to.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    We we went this way once already with "Light" cigarettes.
    Cut the amount of nicotine in cigarettes, and people smoke more cigarettes.
    Rather counter-productive, since the serious health issues aren't caused by nicotine, but the hundreds of other chemicals in cigarette smoke that people will be increasing their exposure to.
    Agree.
    Big tobacco is probably looking forward to selling more smokes, same with the tax man.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    How/why would a doctor prescribe something that's readily available over the counter? At most, they would recommend them, but recommendations are much harder to track than prescriptions.

I guess I've been out of the loop on NRT too long then. I thought some of them still required an Rx, like the inhalers. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    They seem to be forgetting, or ignoring, that nicotine may be the least harmful component of burning tobacco.
    I don't think that low level Nic cigarettes are a good idea at all but Nicotine levels correlate with alot of the harmful substances found in cigarettes.
    It basicly...the faster, more intense the cigarette burns, the more Nicotine it puts out. But the better it burns, the more nasty stuff will form as well.
    Smokers compensate "lighter" cigarettes by drawing harder, making them stronger. Pack prints are determined by normed smoking; 35ml drag every 60 seconds. If you, lets say, do a 60ml drag every 30 seconds, a lot of the stuff in the smoke will increase (Tar, Carbonmonoxide, Nicotine, Nitrous Oxides, alot of the carcinogens, yadayada....) sometimes by a rather huge amount; like 10 or 20 times more.

• Agree

numsquat

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2015
    Agree.
    Big tobacco is probably looking forward to selling more smokes, same with the tax man.

Yeah states getting big bucks from taxes is such a big part of their revenue, the really don't push anti-smoking like they should.

It's nice to see an organisation like ACS acknowledge that vaping is not the ultimate evil.

Fortunately when it comes to flying I can use Snus easily being an ex-dipper to survive the flight (and alcohol, lots of alcohol).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread