American Cancer Society updated position on electronic Cigs/Dual Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Pretty interesting ....are they ever so slowly coming around?
American Cancer Society Position Statement on Electronic Cigarettes

They are actually recommending e cigs to quit smoking with qualifiers, of course, that they recommend other methods first. Progress, though...

What I really found interesting was their position on dual-use,

The ACS strongly discourages the concurrent (or “dual”) use of e-cigarettes and combustible cigarettes, a behavior that is far more detrimental to a person’s health compared to the substantial health benefit of quitting smoking.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Pretty interesting ....are they ever so slowly coming around?

They Really Had No Choice.

You can Beat the e-Cigarettes are Evil Drum as loud as you want. As long as you have the Backing of High Level Government agencies like the US FDA, CDC, and of NIH.

But that Doesn't work so well when another Major Government like the UK's parallel agencies starts to take the stance that e-Cigarettes are significantly Less Harmful that Combustible tobacco. And on a Population Level, where Public Health is the Primary Goal, e-Cigarettes are Viable Harm Reduction over smoking.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
At least we (USA) are not bad as Singapore! I know I am a bit anti-establishment but seriously, I believe it is all about money and not at all about health. So much corruption! I agree that with more and more countries actually encouraging e cigs as an anti-smoking measure their hand is being forced a bit.

I bet the ACS stance has ...... off big tobacco and government so that is why they tried to soften the blow with all of their "qualifiers"

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah... Singapore kinda defines the Extreme End of the spectrum.

But it is Truly Sad that a country like the USA allows Taxes and Selected Profits dictate Public Health Policies. Especially when for my Entire Lifetime people have known the Clear and Present Dangers of Smoking. And have stood on very tall soap boxes and told us we have to Quit.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I bet the ACS stance has ...... off big tobacco and government so that is why they tried to soften the blow with all of their "qualifiers"

JMO.

But I think their use of so many "Qualifiers" was more to Soften the blow to their own Credibility.

You have to remember, the ACS has been pretty Vocal in the past about how Evil e-Cigarettes were supposed to be.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Interesting tidbit, and thanks for posting it. Yes, after a time the research does become too compelling to ignore. And, I do feel the USA does look at how other countries are handling things (e.g. Britain) and then, if the news is "good" they set about deciding on how best to "cautiously encourage" and also "tax the heck" out of it....

I'll take taxation over Singapore, just don't expect me to be all thrilled when a "full-fledged" policy emerges and etc.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
But it is Truly Sad that a country like the USA allows Taxes and Selected Profits dictate Public Health Policies. Especially when for my Entire Lifetime people have known the Clear and Present Dangers of Smoking. And have stood on very tall soap boxes and told us we have to Quit.
Some of us really don't react well to being told we that have to do something. ;)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The ACS strongly discourages the concurrent (or “dual”) use of e-cigarettes and combustible cigarettes, a behavior that is far more detrimental to a person’s health compared to the substantial health benefit of quitting smoking.
I have a hard time with this. OK, smoking less obviously is not as good as quitting entirely, but it almost seems like they're tying to get people to believe that dual use is worse than just continuing to smoke exclusively.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have a hard time with this. OK, smoking less obviously is not as good as quitting entirely, but it almost seems like they're tying to get people to believe that dual use is worse than just continuing to smoke exclusively.
Yes - it does seem that way and I found that quite interesting as well. The only thing I could read into it is that they highly advise quitting analogs and would rather you vape than use analogs. Maybe they feel that dual use still had folks smoking analogs plus using something else. I dunno ....

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Some of us really don't react well to being told we that have to do something. ;)

Then for those Smokers who Don't Like being told what to do, but decided to Try to Quit using an e-Cigarette on their own, they must be Doubly .......

Because Not Only have people been Telling them they have to quit smoking, but now, the thing that works to Quit smoking is being Unfairly Regulated, Restricted and Heavily Taxed by those same people who told them to Quit in the First Place.

What's Up with that?

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
My Wife is a Manager at ACS. I have been getting an earful ever since ACS decided vaping is bad and they took the stance against it.

Her and I have argued (not fought) about this topic many times and my argument is always based on facts known where as her's is always based on...no facts at all. Her company is against it so it must be bad.

She has not mentioned this to me at all which leads me to believe she knows but doesn't want to discuss it. :D

Reading that statement they are not really saying they recommend them but more like they are starting to realize they are less dangerous than cigarettes. It is a step in the right direction.

A funny thing this: I sometimes go to Relay For Life events (ACS) and of course my wife forbids me to vape while there so I have to sneak off to the bushes and other such places to hide while I vape. lol I feel like a kid all over again.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
My Wife is a Manager at ACS. I have been getting an earful ever since ACS decided vaping is bad and they took the stance against it.
...A funny thing this: I sometimes go to Relay For Life events (ACS) and of course my wife forbids me to vape while there so I have to sneak off to the bushes and other such places to hide while I vape. lol I feel like a kid all over again.

At the next event maybe consider using your vape and when they all aghast you can say, "Well, I quit cigarettes AS YOU HIGHLY RECOMMEND and didn't want to use the FDA recommended cessation procedures so now AS YOU ALSO RECOMMEND I Vape. You (ACS) did state, "Some smokers, despite firm clinician advice, will not attempt to quit smoking cigarettes and will not use FDA approved cessation medications. These individuals should be encouraged to switch to the least harmful form of tobacco product possible; switching to the exclusive use of e-cigarettes is preferable to continuing to smoke combustible products.""

That should be fun. :) :)

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
At the next event maybe consider using your vape and when they all aghast you can say, "Well, I quit cigarettes AS YOU HIGHLY RECOMMEND and didn't want to use the FDA recommended cessation procedures so now AS YOU ALSO RECOMMEND I Vape. You (ACS) did state, "Some smokers, despite firm clinician advice, will not attempt to quit smoking cigarettes and will not use FDA approved cessation medications. These individuals should be encouraged to switch to the least harmful form of tobacco product possible; switching to the exclusive use of e-cigarettes is preferable to continuing to smoke combustible products.""

That should be fun. :) :)

Fun? Really? lol No that would be pointless. Relay for Life events are managed by an ACS employee but ran by volunteers. It is a bunch of people giving their time and energy towards cancer awareness and remembering those we have lost. It is not filled with a bunch of ACS employees. So saying that to these people wouldn't make any sense since they are not ACS. Also some of these people might vape already.

When i go I vape but I walk off somewhere out of respect for my wife.

o_O

NVM. I'll just bite my tongue here.

I can only imagine. ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Fun? Really? lol No that would be pointless. Relay for Life events are managed by an ACS employee but ran by volunteers. It is a bunch of people giving their time and energy towards cancer awareness and remembering those we have lost. It is not filled with a bunch of ACS employees. So saying that to these people wouldn't make any sense since they are not ACS. Also some of these people might vape already.

:thumb:

Reactions: Snicks

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA

I can only imagine. ;)
I definitely get the respect part. And since they are volunteers - there would be no point.

• Agree
Reactions: Snicks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread