American Cancer Society urges states to ban e-cig sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Unfortunately, if you get any response at all, you'll just get the boilerplate reply citing the FDA test and "We don't know what is in them" that everyone else has been getting. It's why we started the EcigsSavelives.info petition!

Yup ... I've signed that weeks ago and so did hubby. They don't know me very well if they think I'll stand for their boilerplate reply very well. I lost my mother to cancer, and by God I refuse to let them try to ban something that stands a dang good chance of saving me from that fate. And having worked as a Hospice nurse for 5 years before I finally hit burnout on it, I have seen what the other smoking associated diseases are like when the end is near. Not a pretty sight by any stretch of the imagination. And if using e-cigs can keep just one person from going through that agony at the end of their life, then e-cigs are well worth any small risks that might be involved in their use.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
As a followup, at a conference about a decade ago (I think it was the 2000 World Conference on Smoking OR Health in Chicago), I attended an intriguingly titled presentation (I think it was called Successful Grassroots Activism to Reduce Smoking) that was to be presented by John Seffrin, the head of the ACS.

When I got to the presentation, there was glasses of wine and fancy horsd'oevres for all attendees, and it was a party like atmosphere. Then John Seffrin got up and thanked GlaxoSmithKline for sponsoring (i.e. funding) the event, and then began talking about the ACS's new and lucrative exclusive endorsement partnership (i.e. contract) with GSK to promote Nicoderm, Nicorette and Commit (by displaying the ACS logo on each GSK package and advertisement in exchange for lots of money from GSK).

Seffrin never discussed any grassroots or smokefree activism at that event, and after it was over, I realized that Seffrin was never concerned about grassroots activism to reduce smoking, but rather getting drug company money into ACS coffers.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm not at all sure why the powers that be insist on outlawing Ecigs, but I can think of three things.

1. They don't understand and don't care to do any research or read the documents that support Ecigs as an alternative to smoking cigarettes.

2. There's money to lose, jobs that might go away, or some kind of financial reason.

3. If vapor looks like smoke, but doesn't smell like smoke, they don't like it and feel threatened. They'd rather have something they can protest against.

My wife came in yesterday and said, "I smell cinnamon!". I guess it was my ecig. I had been through several carts of various juices, so I don't know which one it was. Ecigs definitely don't smell like smoke. She says my RY4 smells like cotton candy sometimes and others it smells like caramel. It's all good.

Maybe they thought that they were getting close to beating down smokers to an acceptable level and now this Electronic Cigarette thing comes along and here we go again! Everybody will want one and we'll be right back where we started. All those people who quit will want to vape. They loved smoking and only quit because of the dangers of tobacco. Now there's a safer alternative.

Last edited:
As a followup, at a conference about a decade ago (I think it was the 2000 World Conference on Smoking OR Health in Chicago), I attended an intriguingly titled presentation (I think it was called Successful Grassroots Activism to Reduce Smoking) that was to be presented by John Seffrin, the head of the ACS.

When I got to the presentation, there was glasses of wine and fancy horsd'oevres for all attendees, and it was a party like atmosphere. Then John Seffrin got up and thanked GlaxoSmithKline for sponsoring (i.e. funding) the event, and then began talking about the ACS's new and lucrative exclusive endorsement partnership (i.e. contract) with GSK to promote Nicoderm, Nicorette and Commit (by displaying the ACS logo on each GSK package and advertisement in exchange for lots of money from GSK).

Seffrin never discussed any grassroots or smokefree activism at that event, and after it was over, I realized that Seffrin was never concerned about grassroots activism to reduce smoking, but rather getting drug company money into ACS coffers.

Wow. Just wow.

I thought that was the stuff of wild conspiracy theories...Astonishing to read a firsthand account.

Bahnzo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Colorado
DaveP wrote:
I'm not at all sure why the powers that be insist on outlawing Ecigs

We are now the powers that be, and the e-cigarette prohibitionists (who previously were the powers that be) are desperate and are on the wrong side of history.

History is written by the winners and nothing has been won...yet.

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
DaveP wrote:
I'm not at all sure why the powers that be insist on outlawing Ecigs

We are now the powers that be, and the e-cigarette prohibitionists (who previously were the powers that be) are desperate and are on the wrong side of history.

Very encouraging words indeed! Thanks, Bill.

History is written by the winners and nothing has been won...yet.
I didn't take his point to mean that we can sit back and relax. It felt more like an encouragement saying that our efforts are having a significant impact.

That's sort of what I meant when I said that Kristin might as well thank herself for the better press that e-cigs have been getting lately. People are listening to us and it's really starting to show.
...and just as important, judging by the responses, more e-cig users and even sympathetic non-users/non-smokers are getting on board.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Bahnzo wrote
nothing has been won...yet.
Most imports of e-cigarettes have not been stopped after FDA added them to the import ban list, and the FDA lost lost round one of the litigation battle in Judge Leon's court.

Legislation has been defeated in CA, UT, MD and IL that would have banned the sale of e-cigarettes. Legislation has also been defeated in MD that would have banned the use of e-cigarettes in workplaces.

We're now winning the PR war in most news media, and we totally rule the comments sections of news stories on e-cigarettes.

And of course, hundreds of thousands of e-cigarette consumers continue using the products.

Those are all wins.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Wins in the battle, certainly, but as long as those who oppose us are willing to toss obsene amounts of money into the losing position, we're a long way from winning the war.

Every negative article that comes out, every back-door ban in a local municipality, every layperson who is convinced by the lies and the propaganda that the PV's are 'worse than smoking a cigarette' are the winnings of our opponents - those people who would otherwise switch or convince others to switch to a safer alternative are the corpses on the battlefield.

This will be a long fight, with no end in the forseeable future, until our advasary's pockets have been sufficiently depleted and they cover their shrunken wallets and cry 'no more!'

KDK

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
Fresno Ca. USA
Wins in the battle, certainly, but as long as those who oppose us are willing to toss obsene amounts of money into the losing position, we're a long way from winning the war.

Every negative article that comes out, every back-door ban in a local municipality, every layperson who is convinced by the lies and the propaganda that the PV's are 'worse than smoking a cigarette' are the winnings of our opponents - those people who would otherwise switch or convince others to switch to a safer alternative are the corpses on the battlefield.

This will be a long fight, with no end in the forseeable future, until our advasary's pockets have been sufficiently depleted and they cover their shrunken wallets and cry 'no more!'

I'm up for it, how about you? I'm not going anywhere, and I've got nothing better to do than fight for something that can save so many lives. Besides, I'm really stubborn, and I don't like gov. trying to take my choices away.

humarock

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2010
MA
What is amazing is how they consider this a 'drug delivery' system, what are the 7 quitting devices? Um, the Patch, delivers nicotine, nic gum, oh, and let's delve into Chantix and it SURE does get to some quit from smoking, they can't smoke after they've commited suicide (sorry to put it so bluntly, I have personal experience in this that hit close to home, so please don't jump on me if that appeared non-sensitive, because it IS a sensitive issue to me, but makes me INSANELY mad that that is one of their approved "DRUGS" of choice.) They are the most hypocritical bunch of .... kissing, money sucking wipes that have the ability to breath on this earth! Better they keep their greedy lil paws AWAY from e-cigs, yeah it would be nice to make sure of the 'content' of our e-juices, BUT at sacrificing our freedoms now? They get into it it will be TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX up the ying yang and then we're back to the same crap as with our packs of smokes...Just like NON SMOKERS that judge us for our 'ways' of trying to quit or using e-cigs seems weird, THESE people don't want someone to get 'healthier' in a way that is comfortable...Not for NOTHING, but they allow cigarettes to be sold right? and yet they are willing to ban these? WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE????? They want to fill us full of carcinogens, make us sick, that way we will all be on pills that will benefit the drug companies that put money into their 'causes'.....ARGGGGGGG Sorry, my rant now over....oh, NOT YET...what happened to the 'land of the free'????? okay, really done now, I promise! Thanks for reading...

foggy1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
S F Bay Area
Seems to me that if we could get more doctors to help us tell the truth about vaping, we would get the public support we need to stop BT and the FDA from attempting to ban ecigs. I know Dr. Dean Edell on national radio has stated that he see's these as a safer alternative to burning nicotine. Perhaps if we started writing letters to people like him, they will help spread the truth. just a thought................... foggy1

Reyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
USA
Seems to me that if we could get more doctors to help us tell the truth about vaping, we would get the public support we need to stop BT and the FDA from attempting to ban ecigs. I know Dr. Dean Edell on national radio has stated that he see's these as a safer alternative to burning nicotine. Perhaps if we started writing letters to people like him, they will help spread the truth. just a thought................... foggy1

I disagree with Dr. Edell (usually vehemently) on most issues but sometimes I can see his common sense approach and it would make sense to me that he would support e-cigs. I think this would be an excellent thing for CASAA to pursue.

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
You know they have an agenda when their stance flies in the face of all rationality.

You would figure that anti-cancer and anti-tobacco groups would be bleeping jumping for joy over e-cigs. But no.

These groups need a continuous and perpetual enemy. They NEED tobacco to continue to exist. They NEED people to keep smoking cigarettes, using tobacco and getting cancer otherwise their whole organization will collapse.

How True

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I don't think one local chapter should be able to speak for another. My boss is a chairman of his local chapter and he could not be more thrilled with my decision to switch to ecigs. (I'm the baby in the office.)
It sounds like your boss isn't reading his memos from the national headquarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread