American Community Survey Anyone Else Get One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enraged at the invasion of privacy, the questins are so invasive and nobodies business. The thought of giving the government and its employees such personal information scares the heck out of me. Plus what is this a front for I am sure it is not as innocent as they claim. Address of where you work what time you go to work, how much is you gas & water bill what is your mortgage and any home equity loans, how much is your home worth, nationality, how many toilets, how many bedrooms come on this is ridiculous. They tell you you are required by law to answer this. If you don't they call and send people out. Where is our freedom going and are right to privacy. Here is a copy of the survey:

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Downloads/SQuest05.pdf:evil:

Christina

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
US/Pennsylvania
twoaz1.com
Wow. I didn't get one... yet anyway. I don't envy your position.

I found this information on the US Census Bureau's site : "Am I Required To Participate In This Household Survey?"
Are You In a Survey?: Am I required to participate in this household survey?

Basically they state "The Census Bureau will always tell you why your responses to this census or survey are important, and why you should participate, as well as whether your participation is mandatory or voluntary."

I guess it would be pretty tough to find enough volunteers for a survey of that depth? I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same as you do about it all. I still get ticked every September when the school district "needs" to know my religion.

Last edited:

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
They're persistant buggers. We keep a 'family' apartment near NYC. No one actually lives in it - we all stay there when we're in NY for one reason or another. A while back the Census Bureau picked my parents, who were the original owners but live in Orlando, to answer the survey. There was no getting rid of them. Every time I was there the answering machine was filled with daily messages, and of course they would call that night. Got quite testy with me, and flat out wouldn't believe that I wasn't the person they were looking for. When I was adamant, they insisted I should answer for that person. I found that pretty bizarre, especially considering I hadn't told them I was related to the people they were looking for. They made it clear the Census Bureau didn't like my refusal.

Good luck with it. I understand how you feel. Regardless of the purpose of the census, it's info I don't want to share for any reason.

wakeup.jpg

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
In 1990 they sent the long census around. I refused to fill most of it out and sent back only what I decided to tell them. I refused all economic and personal questions. It's none of their business.
We did get a worker around who claimed I didn't fill out a census form..I sent her packing and never heard from them again.
The news was full of reports that people would be fined and arrested for not answering..yeah right.
Saying all that I do think the census has a vaild place in our sociity, I use them all the time when doing genealogy. But I have never needed to know how many outhouses gggGreat Grandpa had or how much he earned.
I was a census taker once..I repeat once! That was a thankless job..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread