Ammit MTL - how to understand this wicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
Hi all,
How to understand this wicking? Which side is wicking better? What could be the issue with the other side? I am using Halo Tribeca, Muji organic cotton.
IMG_20191019_101814.jpg
IMG_20191019_101629__01.jpg

Sometimes both sides are light and it tastes good, sometimes both sides are dark and it tastes good, sometime light will taste dry, sometimes dark will taste smokey.
Curious how your read these wicks.~

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm definitely no expert. From what I've experienced, colour differences in the wick shoulders/tails can be caused by one side wicking better than the other.

To fix it, slightly thin the side that is darker.

I insert my cotton, pull it through, then I twist each end to check how even they are. If they aren't, I slightly thin out the fatter side.

• Agree
    Reactions: Jebbn

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Hi all,
    How to understand this wicking? Which side is wicking better? What could be the issue with the other side? I am using Halo Tribeca, Muji organic cotton.
    Sometimes both sides are light and it tastes good, sometimes both sides are dark and it tastes good, sometime light will taste dry, sometimes dark will taste smokey.

From the picture it looks like both ends of the wick are saturated. It's possible that the left side
    of the wick is a little shorter than the right side and isn't all the way down in the juice well. That would be the reason the two sides are different shades of the juice color. The ends of the wick need to just touch the bottom of the wells.

• Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I'm thinking you got a hot leg on the right.
    I concur. That “one side blackened thing has “uneven coil heating” all over it.

Both sides are wicking I think, and if you get the OP gets the coil hot enough by holding the button down both sides will draw. The problem is you’re the OP is burning one side.

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    Hi all,
    How to understand this wicking? Which side is wicking better? What could be the issue with the other side? I am using Halo Tribeca, Muji organic cotton. View attachment 846889 View attachment 846891

I don't use mine much nowadays but two things seem not so much perfect on your build:
    -Not enough cotton on the juice holes
    -The darker side seems a result of a hot spot on the coil.

I used to build 2.5mm inner spaced coils and got amazing flavour from it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread