An Effort to Quell Some Fears about Vaping....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
I have been vaping for about 2 years now, so I figured I would share some things I've learned about vaping along the way--health wise.

The first couple months of vaping, any ailment or irregularity I got, I attributed to vaping. The first side effect I experienced was a tightness in my chest (mostly while laying down). I went to the doctor who did all kinds of tests, including an x-ray, allergy test, and a pulmonary function test (all of which were normal). I was sure it was vaping--it had to be. The verdict? Doctor said my asthma was acting up and recommended a daily inhaler and zyrtec, especially since my allergies have gotten worse in adult hood. I also got a cat around this time and may have been slightly allergic. I no longer experience tightness in my chest, and now after much work and time put in, can run 5 miles at the gym. I've never been able to do that--not even in HS. I'm in the best shape I have ever been in my life!

The next symptom I experienced I was sure vaping was the culprit. I had a breakout of tiny bumps right around my forehead and on my head. I knew it couldn't be acne...I never even had that as a teen. I went to my family doctor who informed me it could be psoriases (since it runs in my family). Since I did not like that diagnosis after googling it, I went to a dermatologist who informed me I had a case of acne--possibly hormonal causes. He provided me with some cream, and it cleared up roughly 6 months later. Phew..

The most recent symptom was itching and a rash on various parts of my body (my arm, leg, etc). I was sure this had to be a randomly occuring PG allergy! Low and behold my mother and father also had the rash a day after me? Verdict? Poison ivy from a hike a few days earlier.

There are side effects from vaping, don't get me wrong. The dehydration that occurs took me months getting used to. I've started eating fruits that contain water and upping my intake of water. I limited my caffeine intake to one cup of coffee a day (from 5) since that dehydrates you. I experienced dry skin that has for the most part subsided with proper intake of fluids. I had two cases of bronchitis this year, which could be attributed to vaping--or just bad luck. I did gain weight after I started vaping--probably due to being able to taste food again! I've since lost all the gained weight and am exercising daily and eating better.

I try to stay out of the health and safety part of the forum for this reason now. People tend to act like I did and attribute every little symptom or ailment life throws at them as a dreaded side effect of vaping. I just hope this story quells some fears and makes people look at things more objectively. People get rashes (contact dermatitis, allergies to particular foods, poison ivy, hormonal imbalances, etc.) I'm not saying people don't have side effects from vaping. People should be weary of new technology (especially something you inhale into a vital organ), I'm just saying look at things objectively, see a doctor, and remember life happens and throws us medical curve balls all the time.

Tracy68

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Australia
Thank you Kimmy.
It's good to remind ourselves to remain calm and not freak out over every single thing that crops up and automatically blame it on vaping.
It's easy to do though :)
I think I've gone majorly loopy since I quit smoking and every stress symptom known to man (and more) seems to have hit me from one day to the next.
All going well now though it seems.

Oh and well done to YOU for have beaten the ciggies for as long as you have!

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I'll have two years vaping on Sept 9, I was just the opposite, I'd have something start with me and everyone around me would blame the vaping. I'd go the doctor and find out the real reason and promptly tell the folks that they're full of it. Then again I've have a couple of chemistry classes in my past and a good understanding of how the human body works, couple that with about three months of research on e-cigs and e-liquid and I couldn't find anything that would cause any problems. Still today if somethings starts acting up, I don't immediately dismiss vaping but I look at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread