• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

An Email From The Aussie TGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmonk

ECF Veteran
It is our view that electronic cigarettes, supplied with an atomizer that contains either nicotine or a placebo, are therapeutic goods, more specifically a system pack comprising of both a medical device and a medicine and must be reviewed by the TGA and included on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) as a medical device prior to supply in Australia. Why are e-cigarettes therapeutic goods?
Electronic cigarettes meet the definition of a therapeutic good, in that they are likely to be taken to be for therapeutic use such as:

• alleviating or curing the disease of smoking dependence; and/or
  • influencing, inhibiting or modifying a physiological process, ie nicotine dependency and associated cravings.

Electronic cigarettes are claimed to be designed to assist smoking cessation with methods such as imitating the taste, smell, feel and action of smoking that do not rely on administering nicotine. Therefore, the electronic cigarette without nicotine is likely to be taken to be a therapeutic good.

Further, the following information supports the view that the electronic cigarette, even without nicotine is a therapeutic good:
Overseas marketing material, available to Australian consumers via the internet, contains therapeutic claims regarding the electronic cigarette's function to assist smoking dependence.
  • Various websites which promote electronic cigarettes for the cessation of smoking etc
  • The four step program referred to in the user manual includes the atomized cartridges with high medium, low and no nicotine content
Therefore, even if the electronic cigarette is marketed without nicotine and without making any therapeutic claims it is likely that it would be taken to be for therapeutic use.
What type of therapeutic good - is it a medicine o r a medical device or a combination?
Having established the electronic cigarette is a therapeutic good, the next question is whether it is regulated as a medicine, a medical device or a combination product.
The electronic cigarette consists of a battery with indicator light, battery charger, atomizer, cartridge for liquid nicotine or placebo and mouthpiece which when used together deliver the therapeutic effect.
The liquid mixture in the cartridge achieves its principle intended action by pharmacological or chemical means. Even without the nicotine, the flavour and fragrance in the liquid placebo acts on the body receptors and therefore still achieves the principle intended action by pharmacological means. Hence this component of the electronic cigarette would be regulated as a medicine.
The other components of the electronic cigarette (battery, atomizer, cartridges, mouthpiece) are essential to the delivery of the therapeutic action and achieve their principle purpose by mechanical means and hence are medical devices.

Hence the electronic cigarette, in totality is a system consisting of both a medicine and medical device.
The electronic cigarette will need to meet the regulatory requirements for both medicines and medical device and will need to be included on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods, before it can be lawfully supplied in Australia.
Although it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to classify the device, it is my view that the electronic cigarette system is likely to be a class IIa medical device, being an active medical device used to deliver a medicine.
Where to from here - For Sponsors wishing to import E-Cigarettes for supply to the Australian Market.

The process is complex due to the therapeutic good being a combination of both a Medicine and Medical Device.
1. Contact the medicines area of the TGA to ascertain what regulatory requirements need to be met in relation to the medicine component of the E-cigarette
2. Submit an application to the TGA for the Medicine to be evaluated.
3. If the Medicine component is approved, then obtain the appropriate certifications from the manufacturer of the E-Cigarette for the device component.

4. If the Manufacturers Certification for the device component is acceptable, then submit an application for the device.
5. There will also be fees incurred with the assessment of the medical device
There are a number of technical and regulatory requirements that need to be met and there will also be ongoing regulatory obligations.

Yours sincerely,

Medical Devices Information Line

Telephone: 1 800 141 144
Fax: 02 6232 8785

Websites:
Information www.tga.gov.au/devices/devices.htm
e-Business www.ebs.tga.gov.au

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
When I first read this, I thought Australia had a tobacco grower's association (TGA) and of course, they would be opposed to e-cigs. I since followed your link and see that they don't represent tobacco growers or cigarette makers, but they might as well do that since if they don't support one, they sort of have to support the other.

Guessologist

Feb 7, 2010
Australia
About the kind of reaction I suspected the AU government would have. Paint everything with a broad brush as medical devices due to a few marketing blurbs on the odd website, before waiting for any in-depth tests/trials. My favourite bit is bundling in 0-nicotine juices on a pretty flimsy pretext of 'the flavour and fragrance in the liquid placebo acts on the body receptors and therefore still achieves the principle intended action by pharmacological means'. A 0-nic cappuccino-flavoured juice is a placebo for tobacco?

Good lord, I hope theres a decent discussion about this before I have to buy a bottle of juice rebranded as Nicorette for 40 bucks and a license check.

Dogsbody

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
I just got a shipment today that had been opened by customs and they put a flyer in saying that nothing had been removed,they also included a "what you can't import" leaflet, and it didn't mention the e-cig.

That is why most suppliers remove the manuals from the box, as most state "can help to quit" making it a cessation device.

btw, I had about 12 bottles of 36mg juice, a usb PT, a couple of boxes of cartos and a battery. (device+medicine)

This is just stupid though.... I can import a carton of cigarettes, no probs... are low tar cigs classed as cessation? what about pens? ... I often 'puff' on my pen delivering a placebo effect.

Disease of smoking dependence??? wtf... thats not a disease, it's a habit/choice/recreational act and may cause diseases...

What if I was a social smoker and not dependent on smoking?

That e-mail must have been typed up by the work experience kid, as there is just so much wrong with it.

Guessologist

Feb 7, 2010
Australia
That e-mail must have been typed up by the work experience kid, as there is just so much wrong with it.

Looks like it, I guess they aren't big on teaching the usage of principle/principal in the english language in schools these days. The grammar of the email is probably the least important issue here though I guess.

I suppose regulation of some form of PVs in Australia is a good thing, but I don't like the idea of the regulating bodies to be able to take their bat and ball and go home so to speak, being able to create whatever rules they like without considering our input.

SuperRogue

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
Guessologist I suppose regulation of some form of PVs in Australia is a good thing said:
I couldn't agree more. Regulation may not be the right direction but at least it's some direction. That direction should to at least to some degree be influenced by us. Despite having the moral highground, it does seem like we are the voiceless underdogs here. If things are going to change it will be a group effort, all of us playing our little part. Lots of letters, emails and phone calls. Make ourselves impossible to ignore.

They should not under any circumstance be classed as medical devices. Medical devices are for sick people, we are not sick, we are happy, and enjoy what we do. They should be classed as something new, not currently in legislation, without the outrageous red tape to cut through that makes it impossible for the little guys to get in. That's what happened with the big supermarkets here, put the little guys out of bussiness then jack up the prices, charge us more for our home grown vegemite than the UK pay's when importing it. Drifting, sorry.

I read in some other posts the idea of getting some health groups on side, I personally cannot bring myself to ask for help from the same organisations that declared war on us:evil:they didn't just cross our boundries, they crossed thier own as well, of course they won't admit to that, so why lose our dignity over what is probably flogging a dead horse anyway. There's always the hope that they change thier mind and a little common sense wouldn't go astray, but I'm not holding my breath.

I fear that if we let nature take it's course as it is, it will not be viable for us anymore :cry: 40 bucks for nicorette and a license check seems a little too close to reality for my liking. Aditionally it's like admitting to being sick when your not.

Maybe we should start charging the health groups 40 Bucks for O2 in a can. Since they're paranoid about clean air, and what doesn't conform to thier ideology offends thier eyes and hurts other people, does that not make them sick?

If they are not sick, they most certainly contradict thier own entire purpose as "Health Groups" I'm happy i'm not on thier side, I would'nt sleep too well if I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread