Not open for further replies.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I was out to dinner with a friend the other day, and she mentioned that she hadn't seen me use salt at a restaurant in a long time.

And it hit me. When I was a smoker (about a carton a week, give or take) I was (what I would call) a moderate to heavy salt user. It was rare for me to eat out and NOT use salt.

After I quit smoking/started vaping I don't think I was really aware of what was happening because it was a gradual change, but when I sit back and think about it, I can't even recall the last time I refilled my salt shaker at home. Heck, it rarely even comes out of the cupboard any more, and when I do use salt, it's just a little itty bitty shake. Using salt at my previous levels makes things TOO salty.

Anyone else noticed this?

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
That was the very first thing I noticed when my taste buds started coming back to life. I would go out to eat and often just barely be able to take a few bites of some dishes. They would be horribly salty, almost unbearable.

Little by little that extreme response went away. It seemed to just be that initial shock. But getting used to less salt generally is a good thing.

Reactions: K_Tech

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
You may also eventually suffer from what I call "flavor flogging". After a while the commercial juices just became much too strong. Flavor is good, but getting beaten around the head continually was too much. If I use a commercial juice now, I get it at twice the nic strength I want, then dilute it down with VG. A number of flavors I like are far more palatable if they are gentle, rather than constantly overpowering.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I was out to dinner with a friend the other day, and she mentioned that she hadn't seen me use salt at a restaurant in a long time.

And it hit me. When I was a smoker (about a carton a week, give or take) I was (what I would call) a moderate to heavy salt user. It was rare for me to eat out and NOT use salt.

After I quit smoking/started vaping I don't think I was really aware of what was happening because it was a gradual change, but when I sit back and think about it, I can't even recall the last time I refilled my salt shaker at home. Heck, it rarely even comes out of the cupboard any more, and when I do use salt, it's just a little itty bitty shake. Using salt at my previous levels makes things TOO salty.

Anyone else noticed this?

Salt is a "flavor enhancer"... now that we can taste things better, flavors don't need so much enhancing. :D

Andria

MrAngry

Feb 11, 2015
Plover WI
Yep...here too...

using less salt, eating less candy, drinking less soda and OHMAGOSH - I drink less coffee !!

I just don't "have the need" for them anymore.

I'm with aside from coffee... Lol

I was always have something to snack on in my work truck. Part oral fixation, part just boredom on long stem drives. I've noticed vamping pretty much covers both. I've lost 15 lbs since January just from lack of added calories.

I've been away from soda for a few years, and I notice I get massive headaches and gut rot from it now at family gatherings and such, so I always have bottled water with me.

I'll give up my coffee when I die, though. Hehehe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread