Analogs almost $80 per carton

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It's been a little over 6 years since I ended my lifelong analog habit and took up vaping. I just do not pay any attention to analogs anymore. So today there was a serious accident and I was stuck in traffic on a busy avenue that has a lot of stores and I saw a sign for Marlboros that said $78.81 --- are you kidding me! I do not even know if that included tax. The signs I used to see way back when did not include tax. I'd be paying in the ballpark of at least $120 a week for that filthy habit ---

When I stopped cartons were under $50.

Even more incentive to vape!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Wow thats high!

Cigarette prices haven't gone up nearly that much here, L&M's according to the online local grocery ad (curiosity made le look!) Are 45.30 a carton (before tax) and Marlboro reds are 54.60 a carton...

L&M's have actually gone up far more than reds around here (I wonder why), that's about a 10.00 increase per carton over the last 4-1/2 years, which is a steep increase really, 1.00 a pack more.

I never figure in price hikes when I calculate how much my savings from not smoking is.. I guess I'll start! Hahaha ... 14.00 per week price increase is 728 dollars a year!

Ha.. that's about what I spend on Christmas every year - total - just in cigarette inflation!

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I remember way back, as a teen smoker, telling myself that if cigarettes ever went over $1.50/pk I'd quit. Well, that came and went. Fast-forward to Feb 2011, just before finding vapor, and I was shelling-out over $3/pk, because they had me hooked. I've quit calculating cost savings, because quality of life has improved. $70/carton?? Hail vaping!

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Screenshot_2018-12-11_23-14-40.png

price for a single pack above

cartons are over $200

$1 aud = 0.72 usd

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I remember one time as a truck driver being laid over for a weekend near Boston MA and i bought a carton of reds for 32 dollars and was shocked at how much that was compared to what i paid at home in KY. This was around 1997-98 i think. Now, even in KY, reds are around 6 dollars a pack.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I never cared for cigarettes...no no I had to smoke the expensive imported sampoerna cloves ;) which then after the first flavor ban on cigarettes became harder to find, I was mostly stuck with djarums from cigar shops or one cigar shop the owner found me a cigar that was pretty darn close to sampoerna's
I don't remember what I paid for the sampoerna's, I know the djarms for a pack of 12 cost almost $8 and then well the cigar was $5/each, granted that cigar lasted me a few days
at the time cigarettes were about $5 a pack
and I was smoking almost a pack of cloves a day :nah:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    When I quit smoking 4 years ago I was paying $6.00 a pack. Now when my ex-GF/close friend/roomate goes to the smoke shop, she pays close to $10.00 for two packs of bottom of the barrel light cigs. A 120 or so ml batch of DIY will last me at least close to 4 months and costs me somewhere in the $3-$5 range..

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Well, in NYC they're now $13.00 a pack at the minimum allowed price. At a pack and a half per day I could be buying a fancy stabilized wood mod or even a VA every month and still come out ahead.
    Yep. Over the past 4+years, I've bought a boatload of very nice mods (mostly from a couple of the artisans here on ECF), plus I've put a lifetime supply of nic into two mini dedicated freezers (cause my wife doesn't want my nic in her freezers), and I still haven't spent what it would have cost to keep smoking. $90-100 a week on cigs adds up to a lot of money over the space of a few years.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
    Aug 3, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    are there many places to buy them illegally? i guess people roll their own now. wonder how much they save?

I live in Brooklyn, NY. A carton of American Spirits goes for over $130.00. Not surprisingly, there are people driving to other states, getting a bunch of cartons and selling to a private customer base. Generally, people buying this way are paying $60-65 per carton. Generally, only Marlboros are available. There are also smoke shops doing an under the counter business selling all brands at NJ prices - $85.00 per carton.

This kind of thing is inevitable in the current circumstances, especially since the cigarette taxes in NY and probably elsewhere are very regressive.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I live in Brooklyn, NY. A carton of American Spirits goes for over $130.00. Not surprisingly, there are people driving to other states, getting a bunch of cartons and selling to a private customer base. Generally, people buying this way are paying $60-65 per carton. Generally, only Marlboros are available. There are also smoke shops doing an under the counter business selling all brands at NJ prices - $85.00 per carton.

This kind of thing is inevitable in the current circumstances, especially since the cigarette taxes in NY and probably elsewhere are very regressive.
    Yep. Look at a small panel van and do the math: How many cases (not cartons!) of cigarettes will fit it it. A carton still sells for around $50 in Virginia. Assume a $10 profit per carton for the ~500 mile round trip. Inevitable indeed.

searcher

ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2009
    Bossier City, La
    I started vaping just before the 2009 tax hikes took effect, Hence my signature never tracked money saved, When I started smoking regularly, a pack ran me about 10 cents in the commissary (a dollar a carton). When I quit, I could stuff my own (nice little machine) for 45 cents a pack.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    i guess people roll their own now. wonder how much they save?

I started doing the RYO smokes in late 2012 and smoked them until I transitioned to vaping. First thing I noticed was that within 3 weeks of switching to RYO from my regular smokes...my little morning smoker's cough was totally gone. So I stuck with them. Price then for my regular smokes was $56/carton. The RYO cost me $26 to make a carton + about another pack and a half. Don't know what the price for the RYO ones is now though.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread