And another explosion hits the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
I'm worried that incidents like these will cause vape to go the way of the 3 wheeler. I believe that to purchase a mech mod there should be a kind of mandatory class involved. I know alot of people will disagree but how else can you keep them out of the hands of the ignorant.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foggy Road

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Just once, I would love to click on one of these and see actual information that would be useful in determining what happened or how to prevent it from happening in the future.
True, but I don't blame the media for that in this instance. The kid doesn't know the particulars of why it happened and no witnesses could be reached for comment.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm worried that incidents like these will cause vape to go the way of the 3 wheeler. I believe that to purchase a mech mod there should be a kind of mandatory class involved. I know alot of people will disagree but how else can you keep them out of the hands of the ignorant.

This is a big concern of mine as well. We must face up to the fact that many of the people running vape shops know very little about the products they're selling and don't properly train their staff. Any incidents involving children, however infrequent, will be exploited to the max. There is no excuse for this kind of thing, particularly when ample safety information is available for free on sites like this.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
This is a big concern of mine as well. We must face up to the fact that many of the people running vape shops know very little about the products they're selling and don't properly train their staff. Any incidents involving children, however infrequent, will be exploited to the max. There is no excuse for this kind of thing, particularly when ample safety information is available for free on sites like this.
Hmmmm... Certification or licensing for shops and employees? Makes too much sense, just ban the whole industry.

Reactions: LaraC

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

What makes you think this was a mech though? Nothing in the report led me to believe that, in fact, being a mall kiosk I assumed regulated. However, that's part of the problem, we have no idea what happened.

It's horrible that this occurred, but I really don't understand how it happened at all. There should be no reason something would explode, unless someone did something wrong. If the person working there put things together wrong, or put the wrong things together, it would be good to know that. The underage thing, if it's illegal in the state, is obviously a bad one.

skiball

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2016
What makes you think this was a mech though? Nothing in the report led me to believe that, in fact, being a mall kiosk I assumed regulated. However, that's part of the problem, we have no idea what happened.

It's horrible that this occurred, but I really don't understand how it happened at all. There should be no reason something would explode, unless someone did something wrong. If the person working there put things together wrong, or put the wrong things together, it would be good to know that. The underage thing, if it's illegal in the state, is obviously a bad one.
Can you give one instance that a regulated device exploded? I don't know of any myself. Your reasoning that a mall kiosk wouldn't sell a mech is lacking to say the least. There out to make money idk a better way to do that than sell 5$ clone mechs for 20$.

Reactions: defdock

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I believe the article stated the employee plugged the ecig into the "store battery" so it couldn't have been a mech. And what the heck is a store battery?

From the OP's link...

"The guy was showing me different products of the vaporizers, said Domatov. "While he was showing me, he connected one of the vaporizers to the battery of the store. He gave it to me to hold and when I was holding it, it exploded in my hands and my face."

To me, it sounds like the Kiosk person was showing this Kid different Atomizers. And the word "Battery" is being used to refer to a Mod.

What type that Mod was is Unclear.

Why some guy in a Kiosk gave a 14 Year Old any Mod to hold is Beyond Me? This type of Incident is a Worst Case scenario when it comes to Public Opinion on Needed Regulations.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
It is sad what happened to this kid.
I do think that the lawyer that they hired may be a bit ....

In the article the lawyer states "Leor was being marketed at the entrance of the Kings Plaza Mall," said Marc Freund, a partner at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus and Moverman."A mall that caters to children, and they're marketing these products, causing all these injuries."

Yet googling the mall, these are the stores that are 'Catering' to children:

DEPARTMENT STORES
Sears
Macy*s
WOMENS CLOTHING STORES IN KINGS PLAZA MALL, BROOKLYN
Cute
Armani Exchange
Aeropostale
129 Afaze
American Eagle
Ashley Stewart
Avenue
Bolton’s
Charlotte Russe
Express
Fashion To Figure
Finish Line
Forever 21
Frederick’s of Hollywood
GAP
Guess
H&M
Hyperactive
Jimmy Jazz
Journey’s
1 Lady Footlocker
The Leather Company
Motherhood Maternity
NY & Co.

It's a typical mall.
Granted, a lot of stores are youth targeted. But still.... It is just a typical mall.

Mall ecig kiosks really are not the place to be learning about ecigs. 14.... Horrible accident.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
"Store battery" I also personaly would assume is a mech :/

Only shop I ben in, they didn't sell mechs but the guy at the counter was using one. When I asked if I could drip the flavors I was trying, he went to hand me his mech :/

To add: I feel sorry for the kid, but there are reasons laws exists. For the "shop" owner, they had it coming seeing how ignorant they were to the fact they were selling to a minor.

Reactions: skoony

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Can you give one instance that a regulated device exploded? I don't know of any myself. Your reasoning that a mall kiosk wouldn't sell a mech is lacking to say the least. There out to make money idk a better way to do that than sell 5$ clone mechs for 20$.

Regulated mods tend to catch fire rather than explode, but I don't know if there actually was an explosion, or if the casing popped, or actually what happened at all. I assumed regulated because the only devices I've seen at mall kiosks in my area have been regulated devices like isticks, or even still pen types like the egos and such. The fact is, something went wrong, and we have no idea what.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Regulated mods tend to catch fire rather than explode, but I don't know if there actually was an explosion, or if the casing popped, or actually what happened at all. I assumed regulated because the only devices I've seen at mall kiosks in my area have been regulated devices like isticks, or even still pen types like the egos and such. The fact is, something went wrong, and we have no idea what.

Kinda sounds like an Explosion.

"I can't see anything because I got a cut through my cornea," said Leor Domatov, 14.

"The guy was showing me different products of the vaporizers, said Domatov. "While he was showing me, he connected one of the vaporizers to the battery of the store. He gave it to me to hold and when I was holding it, it exploded in my hands and my face."

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Kinda sounds like an Explosion.

"I can't see anything because I got a cut through my cornea," said Leor Domatov, 14.

Well, when a mech "explodes" does it really explode? Or does the casing expand until it can no longer securely hold itself together and a section pops off? Isn't that the same thing that happens when I battery inside a regulated mod vents? When an ego "explodes" while on the charger, doesn't one end pop off sending it flying, usually with a flame shooting out?

What cut his eye? Was it a piece of the mod, or part of the tank, did the tank crack against something? Do you know more about what happened than I do? I'm not doubting that something happened, it would just be nice to know what.

And if the law where this occurred is that minors cannot purchase e-cigs, he had no business handling it at a shop.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, when a mech "explodes" does it really explode? Or does the casing expand until it can no longer securely hold itself together and a section pops off? Isn't that the same thing that happens when I battery inside a regulated mod vents? When an ego "explodes" while on the charger, doesn't one end pop off sending it flying, usually with a flame shooting out?

What cut his eye? Was it a piece of the mod, or part of the tank, did the tank crack against something? Do you know more about what happened than I do? I'm not doubting that something happened, it would just be nice to know what.

And if the law where this occurred is that minors cannot purchase e-cigs, he had no business handling it at a shop.

I know as Much as you do Lessifer.

I could have been a Regulated Mod with a Built in Battery? Or a Mech with a Faux Hybrid Connection? Or something in between? But it Sounds like something "Exploded". So I would lean towards a Mech.

I agree that a 14 Year Old should Not have been given Any Mod to hold/handle. But correct me if I am wrong. This Didn't happen in a "Shop". It happened in a Mall Kiosk. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread