The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

And now for the millionth request for liquid nicotine advice

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Zazie, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    I'm getting ready to stock up. The Vapocalypse Calculator informs me that four liters of 100mg/nl liquid nicotine should last me at least twenty years. It's an investment, so I want to be sure I get good stuff. I'm going for 100% VG because @Rossum's wonderful thread on nic storage leads me to believe this will store best. I want something smooth with little throat hit. What vendor should I use?

Bonus question: Is there any reason to choose amber over blue glass bottles (I'm planning to transfer the nic into 100ml glass battles for freezing)? If there isn't, I'll opt for blue, because it's prettier, but if amber is better, I'll go for utility over beauty.

• Like Like x 3
  2. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nicotine river has 20% off until the 31st code:newyear. I’ve read nicotine salts are more stable then freebase so should last longer and nic River’s Nicotine is good stuff. They sell a hit or smooth salt as well as freebase nicotine so they should cover anything you’re looking for. They also have great prices before the 20% off and free shipping for orders over $50.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    That 20% discount is precisely what prompted my question. If Nicotine River is a good choice, great!

Do nic salts work the same way in recipes as freebase?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Nic salts are generally used for high nic levels, like 25-45 mg juice fir mtl use without tearing your throat up. Personally I am unaware of any difference between blue and amber other than some theoretical risk of Cobalt leaching into the solution if kept in there for many years. Sorta like not keeping liquor in a lead crystal bottle for 10 years so you don't theoretically get lead into your scotch.

IMO if you use flavorings the source of the nocotine doesn't really matter. It's like vodka. If you mix it with tonic, let alone something like a Cosmopolitan, good luck telling the difference between a premium liquor versus a well bottle of Seagrams (or everclear for that matter in a punch). If you vape unflavored nic juice then the source and flavor will be a matter to consider. I don't vape unflavored so I can't recommend one over another.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2015
    Or Vaperstek nicotine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Yes, I mix with salts and use the same mg as I would with freebase. I only use salts because I dislike th. Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers are good for both salts and freebase, code ELRECIPES for 15% off. NR smooth salts are good but I ordered the max mg not the 100mg. Saves freezer space.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    The Nicotine River nicotine is considerably cheaper than Vaperstek's even before the 20% discount, which is a persuasive argument for buying it, I have to say.

I would be mixing at 9mgs/ml at most, so that benefit of nic salts is irrelevant to me. If nic salt liquid stores better, though, that's appealing.

I like the idea of saving freezer space. I guess I can be brave and go for a higher concentration.

Why are salts more expensive than freebase?

• Like Like x 4
  8. glasseye

glasseye Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    My answer to your bonus question- Because I can be cheap sometimes, I use the less expensive 100ml clear bottles to rebottle. After filling and labeling, they go in a box, the box gets sealed and labled. No light, no worries. The one I'm using is put in a dark cabinet.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Unless the freezer light stays on when you close the door, I wouldn't worry about colored bottles - that's all about light (UV) affecting it.

But I've got interest in nic salts too, Zazie. So I'll semi-hijack your thread to throw another question in there if that's alright. I don't care about reducing TH - in fact, I HAVE to have it. I'd like to incorporate some "hit" nic salts (as opposed to the "smooth" versions) so that I might be able to reduce my mid-afternoon & cocktail hour chain vaping a little. I saw this chart recently from PAX labs (Juul) showing how incredibly quick nic salts get into the bloodstream, and thought it might help.

So if anyone has ideas on how to come close to replicating my current TH on freebase 14mg diy juice with some or all nic salts, I'm all ears!
    upload_2018-12-28_14-25-57.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Salts cost more due to the fact they are mixed/altered by whatever acid the company chooses. Most keep their salt nic recipes secret. Easy enough to make your own salts if you want down the road. Personally I would just as soon pay the added cost myself.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    if you are going to store it in the freezer.... colored bottles wont matter.. unless your freezer has lighting in it that stays on all the time and is very bright...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Personally at 8-10mg I notice zero difference between freebase and salts outside of th. For myself salts take affect no faster or harder than freebase at equal mg used. JUUL could possibly have an added ingredient in their salt recipe that does facilitate such a reaction I guess; I've not used their products.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Zazie

Zazie Vaping Master

Supporting member
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Hijack away, @Brewdawg1181!

Another question: Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers says it extracts its nicotine from organically grown tobacco, Does anyone know whether Nicotine River does, too?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Thanks, Letitia - That's interesting, and surprising that you didn't notice the difference. I haven't tried salts yet, except in Juul & other pods, and I really felt it, but that's 50mg. I'd read that the original purpose of developing salts was to mimic the quick uptake of nic with tobacco, and they found the benzoic acid did cause quicker absorption, but gave the unexpected effect of making it smoother. Maybe I'll just try with the hit version at around my current level.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Not all vendors use this acid.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    There are excellent threads here and on VU about making salts, it really isn't difficult or expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    They don't mention organic, but it isn't synthetic- does come from tobacco. PureNic:That’s why PurNic™ is extracted from tobacco plants and never synthetically produced.
    And their Chemnovatic doesn't mention organic, either: PureNic 99+ is premium quality pure nicotine dedicated to the production of e-liquids. It’s a natural, crystal clear and odorless liquid extracted from tobacco leaves.

To be honest, I'm not too concerned about organic for this stuff, since it's extracted, and ends up being over 99% pure nicotine anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Yeah, I've seen some use Salicylate. I wonder if that's the "hit" version of salts?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I don't know what they use for the hit, could just be that FA flash. Some add citrus acid to the salt recipe I've read but doubt that would add much if any th.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I think NR sources all of their nic, not sure though.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.