Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
250 mg can be used without diluting?
Actually, they're all diluted, when you mix the juice. I think with over 100-250mg, some people probably "pre-dilute" for safety and accuracy. If you were using 1000mg, for instance, and wanted to make a 30ml bottle of 14mg juice, it'd only take 0.48ml of nic. If you're off a little, nic content changes a lot. And you'd also have to pull out the gloves and safety equipment each time you mix. So it'd make more sense to take the 1000mg and pre-dilute into a more manageable concentration to work with when mixing.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
well, zaz, i gotta know this stuff.
what strength do you use when making a recipe?
if i have to dilute one way or another i might as well start with stronger stuff.
i now plan to work outside until i have a safe strength.
No offense, Susie, but this sounds a little backward. I'm a detail oriented guy that does lots of research, and very good at tinkering, that sort of thing. And I still started with 48mg, and have stayed with it over a year, because it's easy and higher mg just doesn't save me tons of money for the amount I use. I'd recommend you do the same, or 100mg at max. Start with a small bottle, only $5.99 at Nic River. If you find it easy and you're comfortable, make your next purchase something stronger. In any event, I definitely won't go over 100mg. I'm very comfortable with diy, and my next "stock-up" order will only be 100mg. Anything over that, you really have to be careful.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I think Zazie's talking about being afraid of 1000mg, and actually ordered 250mg.

You are correct, sir.

:shock::evil:

Geez, we're not even supposed to discuss pure nic here... That stuff is deadly and only professionals can use it--in labs with hoods, goggles, and such. Yikes.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Geez, we're not even supposed to discuss pure nic here... That stuff is deadly and only professionals can use it--in labs with hoods, goggles, and such. Yikes.
Yep - I wasn't even aware of it, but Zazie's post made me look it up. Rule 35 limits us to discussion of maximum 200mg...about double the strength of what I ever intend to handle. Not so much out of fear, but because I'm too lazy to want to deal with the safety measures that'd be necessary.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
well, zaz, i gotta know this stuff.

Absolutely! Me, I think it should be permissible to mention the taboo strength if only to warn people off it.

what strength do you use when making a recipe?

Ha! I haven't even made any juice yet. I'm just stocking up in preparation for doing so once I use up all the commercial liquid I have on hand. But there are lots of DIY calculators about that help one figure out exactly how much of each ingredient to use. I'll be deploying one of them when I get started in earnest. For now, though, my DIY'ing will be limited to fortifying some 0mg juice I bought in error by squirting 1ml of the nic strength I bought into an empty 30ml bottle and then filling it the rest of the way with the nic-less juice . That should bring me to 8.33mg/ml, which is about what I like.

By the way, you are the first person to call me "Zaz" in decades. It almost brings a wee, nostalgic tear to my eye.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
oh, i wasn't talking about anything over 100mg anyway.
i still need to know at what strength do you add nicotine to your mixes.
i will not have recipes to work with since no one but me seems to like simple fruit flavors.
i just want to make an unsweetened cherry.

Try using this calculator: DIY E-liquid | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators. It won't tell you how much cherry to add, but it'll specify how much of your nic you need to reach the strength you like.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
i will not have recipes to work with since no one but me seems to like simple fruit flavors.

What strength nic do you usually vape? If you want to make recipes, I agree with Zaz :))) that you need to find a good calculator. There are many good ones around.

If you just want to dilute your base to your desired strength and add a few drops of flavoring, by all means, do so. I often vape unflavored or barely flavored juices; I dilute my 100 mg/ml base in my "working" bottle of nic with VG/PG to 25 mg/ml concentration. Since I vape ~12 mg/ml, I just mix my 25 mg base half and half with extra VG/PG/optional flavoring. I'm lazy.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Okay, good! Had me a little worried when you said you were going to start with "the stronger stuff." :)The easiest calculator I found is e-liquid-recipes. Just for reference, making 30ml at 14mg nic would require 4.2ml of 100mg nic if you use 6% flavoring.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, GENTLEPEOPLE.
    i'll go order nicotine now.
    i've been mtl vaping at 6% with a tendency to chain vape.
    i guess that means i need to up the strength.
    I believe you mean .6% which is 6mg
    6% is 60mg/ml
    I've found it's less confusing when working with calculators, to use mg/ml for nic and %s for flavors.
    Happy New Year to you also.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

I 'temporarily did not recall' the 'over 100' rule. Seeing 1000 available on the Nic River site kinda took over..

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    We are all going to get yelled at for talking about taboo strengths.

Yep - I wasn't even aware of it, but Zazie's post made me look it up. Rule 35 limits us to discussion of maximum 200mg...about double the strength of what I ever intend to handle. Not so much out of fear, but because I'm too lazy to want to deal with the safety measures that'd be necessary.

Forum Rules

35. Nicotine strength
    d. There is a limit on public discussion of 200mg (20%) maximum for mixing discussion, recipes and tutorials, and also in the Classifieds. Members may not discuss the use of refills (any liquids) stronger than 200mg.

And from the bottom...
    Notes
    Rule 35: Nicotine Strength
    [3] It became obvious that some members joining in discussion of pure nicotine did not have any idea of the danger, or any knowledge of working with hazardous chemicals, or even any basic knowledge of measurements. Pure nic is as dangerous as cyanide - just opening a bottle in a room can result in all present being poisoned. It must be handled in a fume cupboard, with hazmat precautions. Pure nic can be theoretically defined as: Nicotine 100%, 1000mg, 1000mg/ml, but is more likely to be found as 998mg, 997mg/ml or 990 mg (99%). We consider anything over 90% / 900mg to be 'pure nic'. No discussion of use or links to suppliers whatsoever are allowed [4].

There is a very real danger of hospitalization or worse with this material and ECF cannot support any publicity of its use or sources. There is no need to use it since far safer strengths are available for bulk mixing, such as 48mg (4.8% nicotine in PG or VG), 60mg (6%), and 100mg (10%). To protect our members and ourselves we do not allow discussion of or sources for anything over 200mg (20% nic) [4].

Advertising/promotion on ECF cannot exceed 45mg strength. Vendor's sites can sell any strength up to 89% though we advise vendors to limit sales to 10% / 100mg/ml where possible. Sites selling pure nic will be banned.

[4] Except within private trade forums.

Please and thank you :)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread