And?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
No it is the fact the the auto switch works better than any I have tried. Has a cigarette like draw to it. Also, it is a true 3.4 volts as opposed to 3.1v for the eGo/510/901. Must be my sweet spot. Yes the cartos work well, and the menthol is great. I honeslt get nearly as much vapor with a VG refilled SS carto that I do from an eGo w/ eGo mega atty. And it is very relaxing for me to sit back and enjoy a cigarette sized PV, w/ a good working vacuum auto switch that vapes very well. Looking good doesn't hurt it either. The PitBull(beta test, not available yet), BTW, is a 250mAh batt and performs very well for me. Yet it is smaller than my 510 was, and doesn't light up on it's own in traffic.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
No clue on the PB, hopefully soon. Any carto can burn, but these don't have a tendency to. They look very similar to Boge 510 looking down the open mouthpiece, escept there is a tube that is of a tight weave of some sort that goes through the center of the filler. Not sure about the coil specifics. Mostely I think the batts sensitive vacuum switch is at least partly responsable. Because there isn't much of a delay, kicks in w/ a very slight draw, so it is easy to stop drawing when you sense the filler is dry.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
No it is the fact the the auto switch works better than any I have tried. Has a cigarette like draw to it. Also, it is a true 3.4 volts as opposed to 3.1v for the eGo/510/901. Must be my sweet spot. Yes the cartos work well, and the menthol is great. I honeslt get nearly as much vapor with a VG refilled SS carto that I do from an eGo w/ eGo mega atty. And it is very relaxing for me to sit back and enjoy a cigarette sized PV, w/ a good working vacuum auto switch that vapes very well. Looking good doesn't hurt it either. The PitBull(beta test, not available yet), BTW, is a 250mAh batt and performs very well for me. Yet it is smaller than my 510 was, and doesn't light up on it's own in traffic.
That is 100% correct.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Wonder how (if) much significantly better than my KR8.

Love my set-up and carts, immensely.

Much better draw than a KR8. I like my KR8 too, but it simply is not as good. The KR8 takes significantly more effort to draw on, it doesn't light up for at least half a second after drawing, and it is bigger for no gain.

Pure Guava

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
What is it about the KR8's that you love so much? Answering that may help us to answer you.. I also use 808's as well as my SS's & love them both.

I like the size and portability. I have CoolCarts with VG juice, so it hits nice and has great vapor. I have 2 shorty's, for on the go, with my PCC, so I never run out (only takes a second to switch).

For home vaping I have the regular manual.

It might come across as "newbie", but I like it being normal size. I really don't need some kitchen appliance fog machine, so it works well.

For sh!ts and giggles, I might get a eGo or Riva. But not in the foreseeable future.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Mine lights up the instant I draw.

Mine will too, but with ALOT of effeort in comparison. If I really puul on my KR8 hard it will light right up, it just doesn't work as well as I would like. BTW, mine is a mega batt so maybe that is different. My 510 was crap. I hated it. I almost bought a Hendu instead of my eGo, I kinda wish that I had pulled the trigger then. But no regrets.

As for the eGo, I still have mine and I like them. But I like the flexiblity to have a batt last me all day, and nice sized autos when I just want to drag away. I keep one as back up in my keychain holder. So I am never w/out an all day vape if I need it. I also have an eGo USB batt, just for big hits of strong menthol when I wake up, or need a change of pace.

Pure Guava

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
Mine will too, but with ALOT of effeort in comparison. If I really puul on my KR8 hard it will light right up, it just doesn't work as well as I would like. BTW, mine is a mega batt so maybe that is different. My 510 was crap. I hated it. I almost bought a Hendu instead of my eGo, I kinda wish that I had pulled the trigger then. But no regrets.

As for the eGo, I still have mine and I like them. But I like the flexiblity to have a batt last me all day, and nice sized autos when I just want to drag away. I keep one as back up in my keychain holder. So I am never w/out an all day vape if I need it. I also have an eGo USB batt, just for big hits of strong menthol when I wake up, or need a change of pace.

So, it's the combination of a good cart and a kr8 wih a 250mah batt, instead of 180mah.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmmm. Do they know when the PitBull will be available?

Are there pics of the burn resistant cartos? Kinda curious as to what is in them...

They have a horizontal coil, not a vertical one wrapped in a little wicking diaper like most kr808 and some 510 cartos. (SLB 510 have a similar horizontal coil, though).

Here's some helpful information.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokestik/84769-cartomizers.html#post1259252

A disclaimer: only Yankee can take the filler out, dry burn the coil and put the filler back in. I tried and failed miserably--basically ruined my carto trying to duplicate his cleaning trick, so you're on your own. :)

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
They have a horizontal coil, not a vertical one wrapped in a little wicking diaper like most kr808 and some 510 cartos. (SLB 510 have a similar horizontal coil, though).

Here's some helpful information.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokestik/84769-cartomizers.html#post1259252

A disclaimer: only Yankee can take the filler out, dry burn the coil and put the filler back in. I tried and failed miserably--basically ruined my carto trying to duplicate his cleaning trick, so you're on your own. :)

I was wondering about taking the filler out and replacing it. I've tried it twice and there was no way things were going back together. thought maybe it was just me... :)

I used manual kr8s for 6 months-it was all i needed. Then I got a Riva- and 901-510 adapter. Still use both of 'em with cool carts or turbo cartos- different flavors work better on each. I really don't like the kr8 XL auto battery - i need huge primer puffs and it still has a hard draw. The PB and Hendu are very different- fuller mouth feel and easier draw than the kr8 auto. I only use the manual kr8s for chocolate mint now.

Last edited:

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
I am an 808 user like you. I make mods and battery meters and I have to remove the connector from cartos to make my mods. I have cut into a lot of 808 and 510 cartos to do this.

When I take cartos apart, most of them look like this:

DSC03372.jpg

The coil runs vertically (up and down) and is tightly wrapped with a material (top right picture) that is then wrapped with a wicking fiber (bottom picture above)

If you let your carto go dry, all the heat from the coil is transferred to the wrapped material and it will burn…(see picture on the top right). The wrapped material then heats the filler material. As you can, see the wrapped material burns more than the filler material.

I have a HENDU and my wife was lucky to get one of the PIT BULLS to try.

I noticed that the SS cartos had a better draw and throat hit, and did not seem to have that “burnt” taste when the juice was low like my 808’s did.

I read in this thread that the SS carto had a horizontal coil (unlike all the cartos I have seen except the new E2 ones), and I just had to “cut” into one to see if this was true. I did a dry burn to the SS carto before I cut into it.

DSC03373.jpg

As you can see, the SS cartos are very different from most other cartos. First of all, the coil is not wrapped tightly with material like the 808’s are, and second the coil IS horizontal (sideways). The little white tubes (I removed them from below and above the coil so you could see the coil better) direct the air flow around the coil.

The coil is wrapped around a burn resistant material (coil fiber). I tested this with a lighter and the coil fiber under the coil did not burn. The coil fiber then extends out to touch the wicking material that holds the juice. I tested the little white tubes that direct the air flow and found them also fire resistant.

If you test the material wrapped around the 808, not only will it burn, it will light on fire and keep burning until all you have left is a pile of ash.

Unlike the 808 that has to be in contact with the wrapped material to keep it wet, the SS coil is “fed” from the coil fiber that is touching the wicking material. If it runs dry it will heat the coil fiber, which does not burn like the 808 wrapped material. This is probably why the SS cartos are less likely to get that burnt taste.

Now I know why the SS cartos work like they do. My next mod might just have to have a SS battery connector on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread