Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Ran into this video

So a color screen, and extra button for navigation, lots of eScribe info and setting on the board to be displayed, and a theme generator. The 75 now does 9V too.

As usual, a long video from Phil and it's in two parts, so if you're in the mood for a 2 hour, it's there. But those were the biggies I caught so far. I'm sure there's more.

Oh, and the sample was a Therion with the 3 button configuration. So we continue to live in interesting times. I wonder when the dna 250c is scheduled for launch.

Also, these were all built and cycled through manufacturers pre August 8th for deeming purposes. don't ask me how, I'm only typing what they said in the video.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
While I am happy to see Evolve finally put all of the available settings accessible from the mod, I'm mildly ...... they continue to release "beta" hardware and expect the masses to buy it. My point is over the past two years we have seen the DNA40Gold, DNA200, DNA75, DNA60, DNA250 and now the DNA75c/DNA250c.

From what I can see, the "C" is what we should have gotten with the DNA200 was originally released. Hopefully they are drop in replacements with possibly a new face plate for the additional button.

VapeDroid is going to drop a DNA75c mod very soon and showed it on Youtube - looks very nice!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I didn't sit through the whole thing, but at least on the Therion, the form factor looks unchanged other than the face plate for the larger screen and additional button. I doubt you can view it as a drop in replacement unless you're capable of changing the face plate to accommodate those changes yourself.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Great they caught up to the rest of the market in this functionality. I completely hate they added a 4th button. Never did understand why they couldn't get the DNA's button functions a bit less complicated to work with.

Apparently they just plain ran out of key press combinations. Which does make some sense, especially if you want to provide the type of functionality of eScribe right on the mod. So an extra navigation button does make sense from that perspective, but does kill the simple same form factor swap out for earlier cases. Still, if it prevents having to memorize a whole list of key sequences and can simply help navigate, it should be a plus.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Apparently they just plain ran out of key press combinations. Which does make some sense, especially if you want to provide the type of functionality of eScribe right on the mod. So an extra navigation button does make sense from that perspective, but does kill the simple same form factor swap out for earlier cases. Still, if it prevents having to memorize a whole list of key sequences and can simply help navigate, it should be a plus.
Navigation is very simple now. Of course it depends on who wrote the theme you use. The "Theme-Boys" are going to go crazy with it. You can make them basic or very in-depth. You can pretty much do 98% of what Escribe does, but directly on the mod.

upload_2017-4-16_19-47-20.png
upload_2017-4-16_19-48-48.png

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Navigation is very simple now. Of course it depends on who wrote the theme you use. The "Theme-Boys" are going to go crazy with it. You can make them basic or very in-depth. You can pretty much do 98% of what Escribe does, but directly on the mod.

That was my takeaway from the video. I'm sure there will be all sorts of themes generated, and it looks easy enough to take a custom theme and customize it yourself even more. It will put a break on that feeling of without eScribe you really can't get the full experience, but despite everything being right on the mod, I believe eScribe will still be handy for those how are comfortable working with it.

Also interesting they have a memory limit for themes loaded. You would think with cheap DRAM chips that wouldn't be a big deal, but I guess if they wanted to keep the same board size there was only so much real estate left over for it.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Mods are progressing, or should we say evolving, and it isn't over yet. Progress is frustrating if you're stockpiling but that's not evolv's fault. I have a few extra picos sitting new in the box just in case. They have all the features i need but the clincher is the form factor. If there was an evolve board in the pico form factor I'd probably have to have one but I'm out of step with the market, a low watts vaper. Will they ever make a board optimized for uncool tootle puffers?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
That was my takeaway from the video. I'm sure there will be all sorts of themes generated, and it looks easy enough to take a custom theme and customize it yourself even more. It will put a break on that feeling of without eScribe you really can't get the full experience, but despite everything being right on the mod, I believe eScribe will still be handy for those how are comfortable working with it.

Also interesting they have a memory limit for themes loaded. You would think with cheap DRAM chips that wouldn't be a big deal, but I guess if they wanted to keep the same board size there was only so much real estate left over for it.

Yeah, plenty enough memory for an advanced theme, but not enough for multiple themes. I think no matter what the limit, someone would push it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, plenty enough memory for an advanced theme, but not enough for multiple themes. I think no matter what the limit, someone would push it.

Well, these days when a $15 flash drive can hold 128 GB, memory limitation is not something you think much of. Not like back in the 16 bit DOS days and 64k was considered roomy.;)

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Makes sense now why the DNA 60 is only in a couple of mods. This was the plan for the 75 all along.
I'm glad I did not jump on the doomsday band wagon as far as regulated mods.. They keep coming out with new devices every week it seems.. thought buy now everything would have been on the market here in the USA. Gonna wait on all regulated mods for now... next, everything is gonna take the 20700 batteries... just wait.

Reactions: cigatron

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Fonts are also limited to 3 font/size combinations. Again, a memory thing. Select from any font, but only 3 font/size combos.

View attachment 649475
Another limitation is cost. More memory, more processing, more features (bluetooth?) is more money. Evolv is not the least cost provider. Temp control means I can vape an rda full time and don't have to acceptt the size and complexity of tanks. To get it working smoothly I needed the real time max watts and max temp readings from the AF firmware.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
This looks like a winner for the GUI tweeker. Nice to be able to access most of escribe's settings from the mod. Is Manual TCR setting included on the mod?
More important to me is, does it vape better? Is it really more accurate in TC? Did it need to be?
Once I've set up my DNAs I rarely look at the display, mostly just to check the battery level, and then only when I notice an anemic vape coming on.

I'm struggling to see the need for an "upgrade?" when I have so many DNAs working fine. The display is pretty though, so it does tickle my "shinyitis" bone.:p

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
This looks like a winner for the GUI tweeker. Nice to be able to access most of escribe's settings from the mod. Is Manual TCR setting included on the mod?
More important to me is, does it vape better? Is it really more accurate in TC? Did it need to be?
Once I've set up my DNAs I rarely look at the display, mostly just to check the battery level, and then only when I notice an anemic vape coming on.

I'm struggling to see the need for an "upgrade?" when I have so many DNAs working fine. The display is pretty though, so it does tickle my "shinyitis" bone.:p

How about being able to go up to 9 volts? This was one of the reasons that kept me away from the DNA 75 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
There are people that love pushing the tech side and want as many customizations as possible so of course they will sell well but i am not one of them.

I have zero interest in Escribe and YiHi's SXi software UNLESS it can provide me with a vastly superior vape , otherwise i'll stick to what i have been using over the years but to each their own of course.

Reactions: GeorgeS

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
There are people that love pushing the tech side and want as many customizations as possible so of course they will sell well but i am not one of them.

I have zero interest in Escribe and YiHi's SXi software UNLESS it can provide me with a vastly superior vape , otherwise i'll stick to what i have been using over the years but to each their own of course.

Evolv-based products have the capacity to provide just that via TC control, assuming the mod has a good 510 connection and you're using a decent atomiser with stable resistance. It's vastly superior in the sense that it can provide a consistent and much safer experience. Escribe and all the other functions are an added benefit for people who want a more advanced experience but more importantly it gives a powerful toolset to researchers to look at the effects of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread