Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
tobacco-Free Night
No Smoking or E-cigarettes
permitted inside the ballpark

Well if that isn't bad enough, how about the next sentence...

Re-Entry Prohibited

So basically they are just telling smokers and vapers to go screw themselves.

If I get bored later today I might just call these (string of four-letter words) folks and see what's up with that.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Yeah, that "re-entry prohibited" was a gratuitous slap in the face...

I sent the following email to the director of marketing:

Evidently you appreciate fans only as long as they don't smoke or use electronic cigarettes. I for one will be staying at home, using my e-cigarette and rooting for the other team.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
tobacco-Free Florida is sponsoring the event tonight.
They insisted that no tobacco products be allowed in the ballpark.

The park apparently always has a "no re-entry" policy, but they are usually pretty lax about it.
Again, Tobacco-Free Florida insisted that they not be lax about it tonight.

So there you go...

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
While the makers of e-cigarettes claim they are a safe alternative to smoking traditional, combustible cigarettes, the Florida Department of Health’s Bureau of Tobacco Free Florida advises consumers to wait for reliable scientific evidence to become available before using e-cigarettes.

Just keep smoking. It's not so bad....

Here is their position statement

http
://www
.tobaccofreeflorida
.com/Contents-13
/Electronic-Cigarettes/

There are important questions about e-cigarettes that remain unanswered. Some of these questions include:

Do they encourage former smokers and current smokers who are trying to quit to reignite their nicotine addiction?

All surveys to date show that current smokers are the overwhelming majority of those using e-cigarettes. Or rather they were when they began using the e-cigarette. Now, a large percentage of them are what you would have to consider (to use the technical term) "former smokers."

By using e-cigarettes inside places where they wouldn’t have normally smoked, current and former smokers may be increasing the amount of nicotine they’re consuming. Consequently, could e-cigarettes increase a person’s nicotine dependence?

First, tell me how much nicotine they were getting from their tobacco cigarettes. You don't know that, now do you? But there have been a few small studies that looked to see whether e-cigarettes were capable of raising blood levels of nicotine to match those of smoking. None of them found higher blood levels among e-cigarette users. There is some evidence that many long-term vapers reduce their nicotine levels compared with the level they used when they started.

But why the concern about nicotine dependence? Even if e-cigarettes did increase nicotine intake, how does that compare in your book to getting lung cancer?

(I'll take the nicotine. You can keep the lung cancer.)

Are current smokers using them to quit or to circumvent smoke-free indoor air laws?

Yes. No.

Most smokers are using them as an alternative to smoking. If they are using e-cigarettes exclusively, they no longer smoke, so in that sense you could say that e-cigarettes were used to quit inhaling smoke.

In order to "circumvent" smoke-free indoor air laws, a person would need to find a way to produce smoke in a non-smoking area. E-cigarettes produce vapor. Vapor is not smoke.

If what you really mean by the question is, "Do smokers use e-cigarettes when they can't smoke to avoid the distress of nicotine withdrawal?" then the answer is "yes." Smokers are not necessarily masochists. But by even asking this question, aren't you admitting that the REAL reason for smoking bans is to punish smokers? If not, then why do you care if they avoid withdrawal symptoms?

How are they affecting people who have never smoked?

First, they are reducing the exposure of bystanders to any toxins that might exist in second-hand smoke. Second, parents who quit smoking are now providing their children with a better role model. They are also eliminating a source of unpleasant odors from their home.

Any more questions?

Last edited:

Zee2006

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
here's the note I sent them, pretty much my standard note:

I understand many people do not understand the importance of supporting safer alternatives.

I'd like to tell you a little about e-cigs, their flavors and what they really mean. It's very simple, they save lives, I know this because they saved mine. I'm 51 and have been a pack and a half a day smoker since I was 13, that's roughly 38 years. I tried quitting several times, I couldn't breath, I would cough so hard I would lose my breath, my doctor told me I had COPD. I would get sick with bronchitis and pneumonia five to ten times a year. Many times forcing me to the hospital and to take many prescription medications. I couldn't stop smoking, I had tried just about everything out there. Now I can breath again and the coughing has completely stopped! I tried an e-cig several months ago, for the first week I used both, tobacco and e-cig until one day I tried a strawberry flavor, I found myself enjoying the flavor so much that I preferred it to a real cigarette. I don't know if I'll always use an e-cig, but I do know, I'll always keep one on hand. I'd rather have an e-cig to grab then to fall back into the tobacco cigarette habit, that so many of us smokers end up doing.

Thank God I found these before it was to late, by the way, my daughter and her husband also switched to e-cigs:)

(Removed my name and address but on their copy its here)

You can find more information here: CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

The world isn't flat

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran

http
.tobaccofreeflorida
.com/Contents-13
/Electronic-Cigarettes/

I'm so tired of seeing blatant lies on these anti-smoking groups's websites. What they don't realize is that, while they might fool the average person whom does not do any research on ECigs, they are just destroying their own credibility with those who do do their own research on the subject.

Personally I would not trust a damn word that comes out of their collective arses.

cdsaint66

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Goodfield, IL
Thank You Vocalek!

You just brightened my morning with this witty (and less than gentle) takedown.

http
.tobaccofreeflorida
.com/Contents-13
/Electronic-Cigarettes/

All surveys to date show that current smokers are the overwhelming majority of those using e-cigarettes. Or rather they were when they began using the e-cigarette. Now, a large percentage of them are what you would have to consider (to use the technical term) "former smokers."

First, tell me how much nicotine they were getting from their tobacco cigarettes. You don't know that, now do you? But there have been a few small studies that looked to see whether e-cigarettes were capable of raising blood levels of nicotine to match those of smoking. None of them found higher blood levels among e-cigarette users. There is some evidence that many long-term vapers reduce their nicotine levels compared with the level they used when they started.

But why the concern about nicotine dependence? Even if e-cigarettes did increase nicotine intake, how does that compare in your book to getting lung cancer?

(I'll take the nicotine. You can keep the lung cancer.)

Yes. No.

Most smokers are using them as an alternative to smoking. If they are using e-cigarettes exclusively, they no longer smoke, so in that sense you could say that e-cigarettes were used to quit inhaling smoke.

In order to "circumvent" smoke-free indoor air laws, a person would need to find a way to produce smoke in a non-smoking area. E-cigarettes produce vapor. Vapor is not smoke.

If what you really mean by the question is, "Do smokers use e-cigarettes when they can't smoke to avoid the distress of nicotine withdrawal?" then the answer is "yes." Smokers are not necessarily masochists. But by even asking this question, aren't you admitting that the REAL reason for smoking bans is to punish smokers? If not, then why do you care if they avoid withdrawal symptoms?

First, they are reducing the exposure of bystanders to any toxins that might exist in second-hand smoke. Second, parents who quit smoking are now providing their children with a better role model. They are also eliminating a source of unpleasant odors from their home.

Any more questions?

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
@cdsaint- nice to meet you, Dunlap here. Yes I would send a polite Thanks , but no thanks for their concern and stating by not even providing an alternative area or re-entry I would no longer be attending their events. As much as I love my Bears I will not be going to Soldier field anytime soon as smoking is strictly prohibited according to their website. (No mention of e-cigs) but why bother if the bar or my couch doesn't have a problem with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread